Options

News presenters

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
I was watching BBC news 24 earlier (a few hours ago) and I'm sure that the man presenting it used to be on sky news. I couldn't remember where I'd seen him before, but now I'm 99% certain that he used to present sky news.

Did anyone hear about the bbc getting him to move there. He is one of the "older" presenters. I'll let you know if I see him again and tell you his name.

just seen, he's still presenting, his name is chris morris

Sorry if this has been posted here before.

Liam

[This message has been edited by lja (edited 12 August 2000).]

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    oh yes i remember him i wonderred what happend to him and now i know thanks lja
    daniel.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Chris Morris is totally wasted sitting behind a desk presenting the news. He should be out and about as a reporter. Anyone who saw his reports during the Gulf War, i'm sure will agree with me.

It's a shame that the BBC have deemed that he should be put of the Night/Weekend shifts. He should be on primetime shifts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I seem to think Chris got sacked from SKY is that true... I think it was for swearing or fighting.. Can any one confirm it..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mromega2000:
    Chris Morris is totally wasted sitting behind a desk presenting the news. He should be out and about as a reporter. Anyone who saw his reports during the Gulf War, i'm sure will agree with me.

It's a shame that the BBC have deemed that he should be put of the Night/Weekend shifts. He should be on primetime shifts.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should point out that the overnight shift on News 24 actually has the biggest audience. It's seen on BBC1, BBC World, BBC America and over 80 PBS stations in America ... not a bad potential audience!
    Chris has also been doing some Saturday daytime shifts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Chris Morris quit Sky, because he wasn't being 'let out' into the field to file packages. All he was doing was presenting.

Then the BBC offered him a job on N24 . . . presenting!
  • Options
    JayTeeEssJayTeeEss Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob A:
    I seem to think Chris got sacked from SKY is that true... I think it was for swearing or fighting.. Can any one confirm it..<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you're getting mixed up with another news presenter, Chris Mahn, who got into a fight in the studio with Scott Chisholm reportedly over something Chisholm had pinned up on a noticeboard concerning Mahn and a Sky female newsreader ... allegedly. Both were sacked, anyway ...

Last I head Mahn was on some radio station in Scotland - I can't remember the name (Forth FM? I think) - and Chisholm, of course, was last spotted on Talk Radio ...

But, Chris Morris is a superb location reporter, I agree ... Almost as good as the star, Aernout Van Lynden ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Aernout Van Lynden who we hardly get to see on our screens and is 'stuck' in Vienna. He and Jeremy Thompson, Tim Marshall must be amongst Sky's best reporters. At least Tim Marshall is now going back to London from Brussels to be Foreign Editor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mann did go to help set up a radio station, ScotFM. He lasted about a year there, and left around '96. Any sightings of him since?

B71
  • Options
    Forum Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dave-1-h:
    The Aernout Van Lynden who we hardly get to see on our screens and is 'stuck' in Vienna. He and Jeremy Thompson, Tim Marshall must be amongst Sky's best reporters. At least Tim Marshall is now going back to London from Brussels to be Foreign Editor.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I must admit that when Tim Marshall first went to Sky News I was a bit sceptical because all I had seen from him was TV-Am stuff but he has definitely grown into an accomplished reporter. Some of his reports from the Kosovo crisis were among the best on British TV ...

A far cry from the likes of Gary Cotterill and Ross Appleyard who always seem to get stuck with the "colour" pieces that get tacked onto the end of bulletins. Is there anything more demeaning?

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    The Chris Mann story is one of folklore. As far as I remember, he got in a fight with Scott Chisholm and I believe both of them got sacked. Legend has it that Mann had the stuffing kicked out of him, Chisholm is a bit of a karate kid by all accounts.

Mann's wife-to-be (now wife), who I think was Stephanie McAllister (not sure of name) also worked there. Was the fight to do with her? Anyone know?

If i've remembered it all wrong then apologies, but I think its accurate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cotteril is very good at serious news pieces and is extremely good also at doing funnies.

Appleyard not only does colour pieces, he's covered major foreign stories: eg. concorde in paris and kosovo.

REMEMBER Steve Bottomley (Sky News Sport) was kicked out after fighting at a Christmas party and slagging off colleagues and other journos?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bismark71:
    Chris Mann did go to help set up a radio station, ScotFM. He lasted about a year there, and left around '96. Any sightings of him since?

B71
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there's a Chris Mann who now edits Sport First and pops up occasionally on TalkSPORT. Does anyone know if this is the same one? (I presume Chris Mann is a fairly common name ...)

• Options
    KizerKizer Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Chris Mann was rude to Scott Chisholm's wife (when she phoned the newsroom) while Scott was on-air. When Scott came out of the studio he found out and went back into the studio to have a go at Chris (who by now was in the presenter's seat).

The floor manager broke it up but Scott waited for Chris to finish his shift and there was an altercation in the corridor. Both got sacked for their ego troubles.

There was other stuff between them before that I think.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kizer wrote: »
    Chris Mann was rude to Scott Chisholm's wife (when she phoned the newsroom) while Scott was on-air. When Scott came out of the studio he found out and went back into the studio to have a go at Chris (who by now was in the presenter's seat).

The floor manager broke it up but Scott waited for Chris to finish his shift and there was an altercation in the corridor. Both got sacked for their ego troubles.

Brilliant....glad you brought up a 13 year old thread for that. Superb work.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why are you commenting on a 13 year old thread? I started to read it, until i realised it was so old, what a waste of time :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Brilliant....glad you brought up a 13 year old thread for that. Superb work.

And yet you still felt compelled to reply... superb work indeed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why are you commenting on a 13 year old thread? I started to read it, until i realised it was so old, what a waste of time :confused:

So old stuff isn't interesting now? Hold on, I'll call the History Channel and ask them to stop broadcasting immediately as I have it on good authority from some nobody on an internet forum that old stuff is a waste of time.

It's far more interesting to discuss things like: "Sky Remote Battery Covering Peeling Off?" right?

:)
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So old stuff isn't interesting now? Hold on, I'll call the History Channel and ask them to stop broadcasting immediately as I have it on good authority from some nobody on an internet forum that old stuff is a waste of time.

It's far more interesting to discuss things like: "Sky Remote Battery Covering Peeling Off?" right?

:)

Nows who's being pedantic?

Didn't realise this subject was covered on the History Channel, but then again, that should be a broacasting subect really.

Just don't see the point of opening a 13 year old thread, and discussing, who are you discussing with, the majority of the posters above haven't been active in years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nows who's being pedantic?

Didn't realise this subject was covered on the History Channel, but then again, that should be a broacasting subect really.

Just don't see the point of opening a 13 year old thread, and discussing, who are you discussing with, the majority of the posters above haven't been active in years?

It's not on the History Channel... yet. I was just saying that just because a subject is 13 years old doesn't mean it shouldn't be revisited. Just ask the dudes in Cold Case.

Besides, I enjoy resurrecting old threads. Call it a hobby.
  • Options
    Radio RuderhamRadio Ruderham Posts: 13,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call it what you like
    It's a free country
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Call it what you like
    It's a free country

Amen to that