BBC South-East Today claiming Adele as being from Brighton

The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
Forum Member
I was going to let this slide but I can't keep quiet about this any longer. A few days ago my regional BBC news bulletin for the south-east decided it was worth mentioning the fact Adele won an award at the Oscars for her Skyfall song because apparently she's "from Brighton". That startled me for a bit as I was starting to wonder whether either I had gone mad in imagining she was a Londoner or I had accidentally stepped into an alternate universe in which Adele grew up in Brighton instead of London.

I looked into it and it turns out she did live in Brighton for two years (oh wow, that's like, her whole life:rolleyes:) in between much longer spells in London. Now, if the programme had said something along the lines of 'Adele, who spent two years in Brighton, won an award at the Oscars last night' then I could've forgiven their desperation to claim her as one of their own. However, they didn't do this. Instead, they repeatedly referred to her as "Brighton's Adele" as if she lived there all her life and completely ignored her much longer upbringing in London as if it never happened. I don't normally have a rant but I had to mention this and get it off my chest because that wound me up a tad.

While I'm at it, another thing related to that Oscar story also annoyed me. Was it really necessary for South-East Today to send one of their own reporters all the way to Los Angeles just so she could stand outside where the Oscars were held and talk for a few seconds on a live satellite link-up to Tunbridge Wells about what a great night it was for south-easterners that Adele and one or two others with tenous links to the area happened to have won awards.
We're not talking about a national reporter here. We're talking about a regional reporter on a programme that goes out to BBC1 viewers in Kent, about half of Sussex and a tiny fraction of Surrey.
Now I'm not one of those who regularly goes off on one about the waste of licence-fee money but just how much of it did it cost to send SET's Caroline Farraday to LA? Was it really necessary, especially as the national BBC already have their own showbiz reporter who I'm sure was also covering the event for national bulletin? Do all BBC regional news programmes do this? Do they all send their reporters to far-flung destinations for no good reason?

Comments

• ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newswatch on the BBC News channel is running a competition for the most pointless live report (I can't remember the exact title). Perhaps you might care to enter this as it does sound like a classic. I believe there's also a DS thread on pointless lives as well.
  • epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC North West liked to make out Robbie Williams was from the region, when he's from the West Midlands even though Take That were Manchester based.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC West are always claiming local connections for Team GB athletes because many of them at some point in the past have trained at the University of Bath.
  • DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    BBC North West liked to make out Robbie Williams was from the region, when he's from the West Midlands even though Take That were Manchester based.

He is from Burslem, if its the west midlands its the very north of the west midlands, similarly if its the north west its the very south of the north west.
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is from Burslem, if its the west midlands its the very north of the west midlands, similarly if its the north west its the very south of the north west.

The "border" between the regions runs between Stoke (which is West Midlands) and Congleton/Crewe (which are North-West.

...But there is a lot of overlap.

More concerning is BBC SE Today covering a story of that sort from Brighton, when nearly all of the viewers in Brighton will be watching BBC South Today.
  • epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    The "border" between the regions runs between Stoke (which is West Midlands) and Congleton/Crewe (which are North-West.

...But there is a lot of overlap.

More accurately Cheshire is North West and Shropshire and Staffordshire are West Midlands. However, some people near the border can get both regions.

Hayfield, Glossop, Buxton and surrounds are covered by the North West region despite being outside the North West political region.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a perception Daniel Day Lewis is Irish but he was actually born in London and has Irish citizenship as well so could be claimed by both BBC Belfast and BBC London:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    Caroline Feraday is freelance. I expect she was in America anyway, either on holiday or working for someone else. I very much doubt the BBC paid for her to be there. I am sure BBC South East Today just paid for her time, the crews time and the satellite time, it would have cost the same if she was doing a live from Tunbridge Wells railway station. It may have cost less, the satellite and crew may have been shared with other regions.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »

More concerning is BBC SE Today covering a story of that sort from Brighton, when nearly all of the viewers in Brighton will be watching BBC South Today.

Whitehawk Hill, the main transmitter which serves Brighton & Hove switched to BBC South East last year. Virgin Media also shows SET.

BBC South East has also been airing Brighton stories for the last few years after Sky and Freesat postcodes allocated SET to 101 before the official switchover on Freeview.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC West are always claiming local connections for Team GB athletes because many of them at some point in the past have trained at the University of Bath.

It seems like that happened a lot - during the Olympics, the North West claimed Ben Ainslie as one of their own because he was born in Macclesfield (but went to school in Cornwall) and Yorkshire claimed a number of other athletes because they trained in the county.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    I was going to let this slide but I can't keep quiet about this any longer...
    Some people really do get worked up about the silliest things, don't they? :D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    There's a perception Daniel Day Lewis is Irish but he was actually born in London and has Irish citizenship as well so could be claimed by both BBC Belfast and BBC London:eek:

My mum told me the other day he was Irish, but as far as I know he has an English accent :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They also claim that Charlton are a Kent based fototball club. Morons.

Bring back Geoff & Bev. UTG - Going up as Champs!
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't sleep tonight!:rolleyes:
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They also claim that Charlton are a Kent based fototball club. Morons.

Bring back Geoff & Bev. UTG - Going up as Champs!

Until 1855 it was in Kent though.:D
    Since then London has grown big time.
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    davidlees wrote: »
    Caroline Feraday is freelance. I expect she was in America anyway, either on holiday or working for someone else. I very much doubt the BBC paid for her to be there. I am sure BBC South East Today just paid for her time, the crews time and the satellite time, it would have cost the same if she was doing a live from Tunbridge Wells railway station. It may have cost less, the satellite and crew may have been shared with other regions.
    If she's freelance then she and SET are excused on that issue.
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Mickey S wrote: »
    Some people really do get worked up about the silliest things, don't they? :D
    I don't normally have a rant about silly things like this but even by their normal standards what SE Today did was really desperate stuff as all they had to say was say that Adele lived in Brighton for two years rather than make out she lived there all her life til she got famous. Its not THAT big a deal I admit but it was still a tad annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until 1855 it was in Kent though.:D
    Since then London has grown big time.

Well in that case they should also mention Arsenal seeing as they originated from South London. Not far from the Valley. I'm sure every Addick fan from that era pushing daisies are thrilled to be stealing airtime of a real Kent team. We're the only Kent team in the football league. We hate Charlton, We hate Charlton. We hate Charlton, haters.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum told me the other day he was Irish, but as far as I know he has an English accent :confused:

Born in London, now lives in Ireland so RTE can claim him as well:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well in that case they should also mention Arsenal seeing as they originated from South London. Not far from the Valley. I'm sure every Addick fan from that era pushing daisies are thrilled to be stealing airtime of a real Kent team. We're the only Kent team in the football league. We hate Charlton, We hate Charlton. We hate Charlton, haters.

Clubs moving across the river!
    Next thing they will be allowing clubs to re-locate to Bletchley!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clubs moving across the river!
    Next thing they will be allowing clubs to re-locate to Bletchley!

One word - Wimbledon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    One word - Wimbledon

exactly the word i was thinking of.