24: Live Another Day [US Pace]

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the episode titles on http://epguides.com/24/ suggests no jump in time even though the producers said there would be :confused:
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    When the drone fired the rockets wouldn't air surveillance/radar/the RAF etc been able to track the approximate trajectory of the missiles? What I mean is - if the hospital is in central london wouldn't someone be able to look on a radar screen and say "holy ****! Missile strike from the north (or whatever direction the drone was coming in from!). "

Basically, what I'm saying in a ponderous kinda way is... wouldn't MI5/CIA and all the other people have a rough idea where that drone was in the sky? Even if it's protected by cloud cover or whatever the technical terms is, they could track the rough location from the direction of the missiles?

I'm a bit surprised these things are so invisible, to be honest. Even if radar can't see them, you'd thing satellite could and, surely they would have every plane in the sky trying to eyeball them manually?

In his own country though? they are making it look like the Americans are running the show. MI5/MI6 would be all over this yet we have only seen them in one episode. From the way 24 are writing it, its all the big CIA saving London. I love this show but I do think its a bit patronising to its UK audience.

I'm a bit confused by this accusation to be honest. Pretty much the first thing the PM did was not let the Americans run the show but sent in MI5. The results showed what a bad idea that was. It's up to the PM to find the best way to solve the problem and there's no reason why the Americans would not be his best bet. It's their technology involved with the drones, their the ones with all the intel so far and Jack has proved that he can get results. I don't see a problem.
    Stansfield wrote: »
    And the Canal shooting - not a great shot.

This always seems to happen in these shows. The first shot, with surprise, affording the shooter the maximum time to pick his moment and take careful aim and it invariably misses the mark and allows the target to escape.

All those hours on the shooting range could certainly have been better spent!

Plus what is Heller's decision.:confused:

Seems like he wants to give himself up to save lives. His illness is such that he'd probably prefer to go out that way, anyway. Having said that, he may have some idea of tricking her....
    But....then it'll go backwards (unless he goes to the US and the clock stays in BST)...

Whatever the clock says it will still be 24 hours elapsed time. It's the number of hours that counts!
  • WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hand guns aren't very accurate though, especially over 10/15 meters away and with a silencer.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10-15 meters is what 11-16 yards away? They should be plenty accurate at that distance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FATCHOPS wrote: »
    Tony's got to come back. Jack needs to break Tony out of jail and at some point say "Tony, you were right."

Jack and Tony vs USA for Season 10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    CamCam wrote: »
    Jack and Tony vs USA for Season 10

Jack vs Tony for Season 10 - that would definitely bring closure.
  • Jackisback24Jackisback24 Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I am still secretly hoping that Harry Pearce and the rest of Section D pop up and take charge of all this!!

A 24/Spooks cross over would be amazing :-)
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised these things are so invisible, to be honest. Even if radar can't see them, you'd thing satellite could and, surely they would have every plane in the sky trying to eyeball them manually?

Not really - Radar works by bouncing a radio signal. Drones (and stealth planes) are shaped so that when the radio signal hits it it bounces off at an acute angle - thereby not making a return. Coupled with radar absorbing coatings that makes them pretty much invisible.

You might see them by their heat signature but given the amount of sky that is still a difficult call.
    I am still secretly hoping that Harry Pearce and the rest of Section D pop up and take charge of all this!!

A 24/Spooks cross over would be amazing :-)

I believe Section D are elsewhere in London saving the place but as Miranda Raison has already made an appearance you may just get your wish ;)
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Jack vs Tony for Season 10 - that would definitely bring closure.

Didn't we get that for Day 7?

God, I'm still hoping that Michelle Dessler is alive and somehow escaped that car explosion, she only had a flesh wound god-damnit! :D
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Not really - Radar works by bouncing a radio signal. Drones (and stealth planes) are shaped so that when the radio signal hits it it bounces off at an acute angle - thereby not making a return. Coupled with radar absorbing coatings that makes them pretty much invisible.

You might see them by their heat signature but given the amount of sky that is still a difficult call.

I understand that they are invisible to radar but since they know their original position and their ultimate destination it shouldn't be too hard to narrow down a search pattern with telescopes/satellite/aircraft which would make it possible to spot them by eye!

And, yes, infrared optics would certainly help and are probably available (not least via satellite).
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though this is called 24. Its only gonna be 12hrs. I did think they'd double the time for each ep but it's still just 1hr unless its gonna be in 2 parts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually starting to think that this season will end on a cliffhanger after 12 hours, and we're gonna get another season next year.
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Also, if POTUS is in London where missiles are being fired from drones, don't you think that the Secret Service would have him out of the US Embassy and into a secure location - or preferably out of the city altogether?

Same goes for Fry's PM. He seems to spend most of his time popping between 10DS and the US Embassy.

We really need to suspend reality thoroughly when watching this show. Also, MI5 are a bunch of - basically - civil servants and would never run about with guns and flak jackets! If the PM meant business he'd fetch in the SAS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Didn't we get that for Day 7?

God, I'm still hoping that Michelle Dessler is alive and somehow escaped that car explosion, she only had a flesh wound god-damnit! :D

As in, to the death closure...and I'm still hoping George has been pootling about in the death canyon since season 2! Sadly I think we're both clutching at straws....knowing my luck they'd resurrect Teri....the best thing Nina ever did.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that"
    I was mildly pleased the show backed off from its usual pro-torture stance. That was the first time I can recall that Jack's torture didn't work.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Seriously surreal seeing my local hospital getting blown to pieces by drones hijacked Islamic terrorists! My kids were born there dammit >:(

http://www.ealinghospital.nhs.uk/
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up on a few weeks I missed. Anyone else think the level of violence is getting quite extreme even for 24 standards? That shot of the nurse with half her arm missing in particular was a little over the top imho.

There seem to be a few story arcs developing with natural conclusions.. ie.. does Chloe find out the truth about her hacker partner, does the CIA woman find out the truth about her husband, does Heller survive the day and does Jack end up handed over the Russians or does he go on the run again.

The show is alright but it's very low level scripting really. It's still very watchable and keeps me watching.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Major shock event in Monday's episode - the 200th episode of 24.

There is going to be a time jump in 24: LAD:
    On jumping forward in time:

Producer Howard Gordon confirmed that the plan is still for 24: LIVE ANOTHER DAY to take place over a 24-hour period, despite the fact that so far, the event series has been in real time. And while he acknowledged a jump is coming, he declined to specify whether it would be one big jump, or several smaller jumps.

This is good news. The entire story is going to be told over 24 hours. :)
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else want the show to move towards Jack being a field worker at CTU and trying to stop terrorist attacks again? This season has really re-invigorrated the show and showed that there's a lot of interest still there. I'm fed up of Jack being a wanted man though. I'm really liking this season, but at the end I think something needs to happen that gets him completely off the hook with Russia and everything he has done in the past. Then I would like season 10 to start with a happier Jack and with him having some form of role with CTU...a sort of back to basics 24. Making it all about Jack uncovering plots within the presidency/government and stopping terrorist attacks. I know the show has always been far fetched and you have to stretch your imagination, but I do feel that it's gone a bit too far now with how much you're supposed to suspend your belief!! While the show is still popular, I want them to take it back. There's so much they could do with him stopping terrorist attacks etc and I feel that after Season 5 the storylines just went completely overboard.
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else want the show to move towards Jack being a field worker at CTU and trying to stop terrorist attacks again?

Only problem is CTU was shut down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Major shock event in Monday's episode - the 200th episode of 24.

There is going to be a time jump in 24: LAD:

This is good news. The entire story is going to be told over 24 hours. :)

See I find this perplexing. Why aren't you up in arms about how in order to do this they need to somehow explain that 12 hours were so boring they've cut them *entirely*?

It's kind of odd to me that you'll ignore that on a show which has always been about 'real time', but get upset that the show might not have started and ended on the same time.

Personally, it would have made more sense to call it 24 but do 12 hour long real-time episodes.

I actually think what will happen is they'll jump on a plane to somewhere and the time jump will be the timezones changing. That way they get to finish at the same time, but still cover everything in real time with not a single minute lost except for ad breaks when no counter-terrorism is allowed to be done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    Seriously surreal seeing my local hospital getting blown to pieces by drones hijacked Islamic terrorists! My kids were born there dammit >:(

http://www.ealinghospital.nhs.uk/

When was that filmed, any ideas? Just wonder what their lead time is. I saw Chloe being interviewed on a variety of shows a few weeks ago and she said they were still over here for a few weeks filming the last couple of episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    See I find this perplexing. Why aren't you up in arms about how in order to do this they need to somehow explain that 12 hours were so boring they've cut them *entirely*?

It's kind of odd to me that you'll ignore that on a show which has always been about 'real time', but get upset that the show might not have started and ended on the same time.

Personally, it would have made more sense to call it 24 but do 12 hour long real-time episodes.

I actually think what will happen is they'll jump on a plane to somewhere and the time jump will be the timezones changing. That way they get to finish at the same time, but still cover everything in real time with not a single minute lost except for ad breaks when no counter-terrorism is allowed to be done.

I'm pretty sure you've hit the nail on the head with the time jump. Perhaps they're going to Russia? I'm not sure what the time difference is between there in the UK
  • TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CamCam wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you've hit the nail on the head with the time jump. Perhaps they're going to Russia? I'm not sure what the time difference is between there in the UK

Russia's 8 - 12 hours ahead of us
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    When was that filmed, any ideas? Just wonder what their lead time is. I saw Chloe being interviewed on a variety of shows a few weeks ago and she said they were still over here for a few weeks filming the last couple of episodes.

No idea,I was surprised to see it, I'm sure the interior shots were in the hospital because I recognise the a&e waiting area.