Options

Positive social network stories

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
Since lately we're hearing about trolling and online threats etc., the negative side of social media, I wondered if anyone had any particular positive stories from using social network sites etc.? great friendships that have blossomed, being reunited with something you might have lost that may have been found and advertised via social network sites (I hear that happens, like with lost pets etc.), that sort of thing.

Two of my best friends I 'met' on Twitter and I appreciate them very much - I'm glad we got and stayed in touch as they've been great friends, we're very supportive of each other and we've had a good laugh. There must be lots of other stories of good things to have come from Twitter/FB - anyone know of any you want to share with us? :)

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met one of my best friends on Facebook. I joined the Fresher's page when I started Uni last year and asked if there was anyone about doing a similar course and in their mid/late 20s like me. She replied and we've been very good friends ever since and now house share together with other people. We might well have met anyway but fairly unlikely.

Otherwise, I have never really made friends with anyone on social media that I didn't know anyway. I can't imagine calling people 'friends' who I hadn't met, I would need to meet them for them to turn into real friends :) But to me social media is definitely a positive thing. It does have negatives, though.
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once made plans to go to a drive-in movie with a girl I liked. I said, yeah, I'd love to do that. And she was like...Yay!:) And then my sister put her oar in. And she was like...Errrrr :o:(.And that was the end of that.
  • Options
    QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Two of my best friends I 'met' on Twitter and I appreciate them very much - I'm glad we got and stayed in touch as they've been great friends, we're very supportive of each other and we've had a good laugh. There must be lots of other stories of good things to have come from Twitter/FB - anyone know of any you want to share with us? :)

When you met them in the flesh had they been honest about everything? I ask because I got to know a girl through a game and when we met up she turned out to be nothing like she described.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    When you met them in the flesh had they been honest about everything? I ask because I got to know a girl through a game and when we met up she turned out to be nothing like she described.

I haven't met them face to face but I appreciate the friendships never the less and we've sent gifts to each other. We support each other through our messages.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    What was she like then? I'm used to men lying on dating sites, they are invariably older, fatter and shorter than they claim to be. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was sad there are so few replies here, so I tried to look up stories myself and found these:- http://ideas.time.com/2013/08/21/how-the-news-got-less-mean/
    http://blog.hootsuite.com/6-ways-social-helps-people/
    http://mashable.com/2011/02/23/social-media-culture/

I've been feeling very angry lately, I could do with some positive stories to cheer me up a little.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Stephen Sutton has to be one of the most positive social media stories ever - he created a bucketlist of 46 “weird and wonderful" things he wanted to do before he died, and achieved two-thirds of them. Plus he set out to raise 10 grand for teenage cancer, but instead helped to bring in £4,961,352. He's also been honoured with Pride of Britain award posthumously.

ETA: what are you angry about? Life in general?:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Sutton has to be one of the most positive social media stories ever - he created a bucketlist of 46 “weird and wonderful" things he wanted to do before he died, and achieved two-thirds of them. Plus he set out to raise 10 grand for teenage cancer, but instead helped to bring in £4,961,352. He's also been honoured with Pride of Britain award posthumously.

ETA: what are you angry about? Life in general?:(

I heard about that. I don't know how he managed to seem so positive under such circumstances.

To answer the question, in a way, yes. A mix of health flareups and work issues, plus me not being good at explaining things, winding myself up in the process etc. feeling very disillusioned.
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met my OH through social networking. He lived in Cambridge, me in Cornwall. I visited him once, then the second time I visited, I moved in with him. This was seven or eight years ago. We're now happily engaged to be married (although not rushing!) and our families have met and whatnot, it's all going dandy.

I also met my best friend through social networking over ten years ago. He also ended up In Cambridge for a time too due to work, so we met up regularly, it was great. He now lives in London so we don't meet up as much (once or twice a year - mostly due to his work commitments rather than the distance) but still remain in contact via Twitter and Facebook.

And another great story, on a forum for local people someone posted about an odd cat outside the post office who had been wandering there in the road for days. Bare in mind not many people use this forum. Anyway, turns out one of the members' parents had a missing cat, and the wandering one was theirs, so they were quickly reunited thanks to social networking.

I do understand the negatives of social networking, but I only use it for positive reasons, and have had positive outcomes as a result. :)