Options

Emmerdale: Aaron Livesy and Robert Sugden Appreciation Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
    Forum Member
    There has to be a brokeback mountain reference. There just has to be.
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    I don't know if their eye is off the ball because all the characters, besides the Dross main players, are sitting around waiting for the disaster but the post-reveal stuff has been such a let down. I can understand them waiting Robert isolated - fine - but the total non reaction from them all, except the few times they make it clear they're not talking to him, is such a let down. We've had Aaron's family react so I can begrudgingly accept he's not been a massive part of it (even though that's stupid) but come on this is Robert! He's basically had a reputation his whole life for being a manwhore and no one is even batting an eyelid really!
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    I don't know if their eye is off the ball because all the characters, besides the Dross main players, are sitting around waiting for the disaster but the post-reveal stuff has been such a let down. I can understand them waiting Robert isolated - fine - but the total non reaction from them all, except the few times they make it clear they're not talking to him, is such a let down. We've had Aaron's family react so I can begrudgingly accept he's not been a massive part of it (even though that's stupid) but come on this is Robert! He's basically had a reputation his whole life for being a manwhore and no one is even batting an eyelid really!

Couldn't agree more. It should have been a huge shock and instead it's like everyone has forgotten to react. Even Lawrence hasn't reacted beyond the he fooled us all type comments, you'd think he'd have more to say given his history.

Adam has failed to point out Robert's attitude towards the Vanessa stuff which again is completely odd.

Also isolating someone in the village to make them a hero in a future episode is soap cliché at this point and im sure that's where they're going with Robert next week.
  • Options
    tink02tink02 Posts: 8,523
    Forum Member
    Maybe Chrissie goes off it with Rob as she finds him at the scrapyard and thinks he is visiting Aaron :)
  • Options
    AmyEWrightAmyEWright Posts: 3,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Chrissie was being pathetic and drunk I was screaming at the TV " pull yourself together, go and make them both pay!!" I don't want them hurt but I actually want to see them, that's how desperate I'm becoming. When Lawrence said about dealing with it I got excted but then remember he is just going to chuck money at the problem again. I can't get over how terrible the aftermath has been. Even the whole picture thing turned into a plot device for Dross. I have huge concern that we aren't even going to get much Robron next week its all about Dross.

At least Aaron is there tomorrow, hopefully a scene with Chrissie. She will probably just shout her mouth off but I actually want them to talk properly. I will cling on to hope for a Robron scene on Monday at the stag party. Robert has got to be there for a reason. Even if he is just there to eye up Aaron in that outfit I will be happy. If Robert doesn't save Aaron in the disaster I will be disappointed..I don't ask for much just this please :p hopefully we might geta hint from the press event tomorrow, unlikely but you never know there might be some teasers.
  • Options
    Paul_Robs1Paul_Robs1 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that a Once Upon a Smile card I spot on Moira's fridge? ;)

Yes I saw that as well and thought the same, good for Danny.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Main Forum has a thread with the question of who the top 5 favourite Emmerdale characters are.;-)
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DTK, your vote for aaron may not have been counted as when i voted for Robron, there's still only one vote for aaron :o
  • Options
    LmackLmack Posts: 14,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Main Forum has a thread with the question of who the top 5 favourite Emmerdale characters are.;-)

Does it include past characters or just present characters ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lmack wrote: »
    Does it include past characters or just present characters ?

theres a list of names and you have to tick the box before the name of your faves.. apparently chas is listed twice lolz.. i didnt notice coz i only voted for two characters :blush::blush:

ETA on hindsight should have voted for chas & alicia too:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charity may be my 5th ED character.. don't know her that much but she looks very entertaining lolz unlike her emotion-free daughter..
  • Options
    LmackLmack Posts: 14,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    charity may be my 5th ED character.. don't know her that much but she looks very entertaining lolz unlike her emotion-free daughter..

I love Charity-she's one of my favourites and yes she is certainly entertaining and not very often boring lol
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what previews we'll get tomorrow. I'm betting nothing past Tuesday.

Think i'll be wishing the weekend away now we're so close I just want it to begin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we're getting nothing tomorrow. Let's hope not but they've been very secretive (even though we've kinda figured out who lives anyway :p)
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member

It's really bugging me that it's not shocked everyone in the village tbh. How common is this type of thing yet nobody has really reacted to it and even his family are blasé about the whole thing. Chrissie is really the only one trying to understand it and asking questions you'd think his family would be asking.

Yeah the reactions from others could definitely have been better, I can't decide whether it's intentional to reiterate to Robert that no one besides him cares whether he's gay, straight or anything in between or if the ED writers genuinely think shoving Dross down our throats was more interesting and important.

It really annoyed me when vic said she didn't have time to be worried about him last night, he's her brother FFS and she can't even be bothered to find out if he's OK. Even finn gave more of a shit about him :p

They're really trying to drive home the "he has no one" point aren't they.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coz97 wrote: »
    me either, it's like she's completely disgusted that the affair was with a MAN. It shouldn't make a difference really...

I don't think she is disgusted. Anyone would be upset if your partner cheated on you. There is an added dimension if they have gone off with a different gender. It means you really didn't have what some one else could offer which would be bad for any ones self esteem.

I said before that there would have been a backlash if Robert had cheated with a woman. It is almost as if women believe that other women put a spell on men which they can't resist.

Hence Moira blamed Chrissie more than Cain. Chrissie was only upset at Aaron for revealing the affair ' are you happy now' but blamed Robert for cheating.
  • Options
    spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    My evidence is purely anecdotal but when I've known people who have been cheated on the majority of the anger is directed towards the partner not the "mistress". I think it's probably harder when the cheating is with the member of the same sex to comprehend that you thought you knew the person so well and yet might be left feeling like you don't know them at all. But then easier to accept that you couldn't compete as they could offer something you can't compete with.

If that makes any sense.
  • Options
    hypergreenfroghypergreenfrog Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coz97 wrote: »
    me either, it's like she's completely disgusted that the affair was with a MAN. It shouldn't make a difference really...

Of course it makes a difference. She is bound to question their entire relationship, whether she was always just a beard, and most importantly why she didn't notice something was amiss.
    And we have seen glimpses of this, with Chrissie talking to Lawrence, asking Robert if he loved Aaron, things like that.
    I never got the impression she was disgusted, just totally surprised and unable to process the news.

If anything, the lack of surprise from everyone else is less believable. It's the show making a point of not being homophobic which is great, but a man with Robert's history having an affair with a man is not something people would just shrug off.
  • Options
    hypergreenfroghypergreenfrog Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spimf wrote: »

It really annoyed me when vic said she didn't have time to be worried about him last night, he's her brother FFS and she can't even be bothered to find out if he's OK. Even finn gave more of a shit about him :p

I agree, but I could accept her behaviour if it's deliberately written this way for one of two reasons.

Either she can't deal with the news yet/is overwhelmed, and putting on a front of not being bothered is her way of putting off facing it.

Or the writers want to use Vic as the one relative on Robert's side later on, so until then they are keeping her ambiguous on purpose.

Anything else is just bad writing.
  • Options
    DavidJ28DavidJ28 Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    andy614 wrote: »
    Let's face it, Robert will take one look at Aaron in his sexy cowboy outfit and will want any excuse to be near him again! ;)

Aaron in a cowboy outfit? Is this really happening?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DavidJ28 wrote: »
    Aaron in a cowboy outfit? Is this really happening?

Yes, there are pictures around somewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, there are pictures around somewhere.

Thanks for that Andy. I can't wait to see Aaron in a bit of plaid and denim and of course I hope Robert gets to see him too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DavidJ28 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Andy. I can't wait to see Aaron in a bit of plaid and denim and of course I hope Robert gets to see him too :)

He isn't in that. He has like an loose white shirt on with like a leather waistcoat thing, necklace and a cowboy hat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He isn't in that. He has like an loose white shirt on with like a leather waistcoat thing, necklace and a cowboy hat.

I'll take whatever I can get :) He will look hot, i'm sure.
This discussion has been closed.