Relegation battle wide open

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking at the table Stoke, Newcastle and Norwich are not safe after today's results.

Comments

• NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the table Stoke, Newcastle and Norwich are not safe after today's results.

They're not in a good run of form either. I think that could be key to whether or not they end up in the bottom 3 sooner rather than later.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their not in a good run of form either. I think that could be key to whether or not they end up in the bottom 3.

I think it's only going to be 18th as the other two won't get out of it without a good run of wins.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QPR, Reading and one other, might well be Sunderland.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it? The Championship relegation battle is incredible. Even 12th could still go down.

The P.L battle is close, but it's 7 teams effectively contesting one place. Any of those 7 sides win 2 games they'll be fine.

Sunderland look the doomed one. Could see them only picking up 3 or 4 pts which could have the bottom 3 sorted in a few weeks.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it? The Championship relegation battle is incredible. Even 12th could still go down.

The P.L battle is close, but it's 7 teams effectively contesting one place. Any of those 7 sides win 2 games they'll be fine.

Sunderland look the doomed one. Could see them only picking up 3 or 4 pts which could have the bottom 3 sorted in a few weeks.

Bolton looked relegation form but now look like they can make playoffs.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wigan v Villa on the final day should be a nail biter if both teams are in trouble going into that game.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,888
    Forum Member
    Wigan v Villa on the final day should be a nail biter if both teams are in trouble going into that game.

Could be like Wolves v Blackburn from 2 years ago.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,966
    Forum Member
    I think Sunderland will be the one...not sure they can get more than 4 points but they do have Stoke and Saints at home.

Got to win those.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    People seem to be assuming Wigan are safe, but I believe 4 out of their next 5 games are away from home.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    People seem to be assuming Wigan are safe, but I believe 4 out of their next 5 games are away from home.

Football logic goes out otf the window when it comes to Wigan and the end of the season
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    People seem to be very generous to Villa and Wigan. There's no way these (along with Sunderland) will all pick up enough points to overtake Norwich, Newcastle and the likes. As another poster said remember Wigan have 4 away games out of the next 5 and an FA Cup semi to worry about. Villa are more than capable of going on a bad run. Their last two games (might sound a tad harsh I know) were easy games to win. It only gets tougher from here

It's disappointing that 2 teams are as good as gone but it should be an interesting 3 way battle for the 3rd spot. As has been said Villa v Wigan could well be a belter on the last day
    Forum Member
    Also Newcastle have a lovely run in not a hope in hell they'll be close to going down I see them finishing top ten actually
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

Wigan are the form team between March and May, they will stay up!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    I think Sunderland will be the one...not sure they can get more than 4 points but they do have Stoke and Saints at home.

Got to win those.

Also the NE derby in 2 weeks time. The form book goes out of the window for that game and it could go any way. If (and it's a big if) Sunderland could win that then it would be a huge moral boost for the final few games.
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Stoke go.
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Reading, qpr and sunderland
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    with the battle for 4th place & the relegation battle going to be really close this year the final day of the season should be must tv.

I think reading are all but gone,couldn't believe how bad they were against arsenal yesterday,simply terrible,no passion,fight,want to win..nothing.

QPR have it tough but i still think they are capable of putting a couple wins together

wigan will be safe,they always do get out of somehow.

Villa i think will go down,fixtures don't look good

sunderland are on a bad run & sacking o'neil doesn't help matters..i think they will go down as well
    Forum Member
    rhynoGB wrote: »
    with the battle for 4th place & the relegation battle going to be really close this year the final day of the season should be must tv.

I think reading are all but gone,couldn't believe how bad they were against arsenal yesterday,simply terrible,no passion,fight,want to win..nothing.

QPR have it tough but i still think they are capable of putting a couple wins together

wigan will be safe,they always do get out of somehow.

Villa i think will go down,fixtures don't look good

sunderland are on a bad run & sacking o'neil doesn't help matters..i think they will go down as well

Really? It can't get any worse for them. Sacking him might be what keeps them up IMO

How people think QPR will stay up is really beyond me
  • Josh2407Josh2407 Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Norwich? I don't think they will but they seem to be living off that run of results they had Autumn/Winter time for a little bit too long now!
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Could be like Wolves v Blackburn from 2 years ago.

The Championship is the main relegation battle to watch, and yes it will be like Wolves Blackburn
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I just find it bizarre that anyone thinks tthat the teams on 33 and 34 points ( Newcastle, Norwich, Stoke and Southampton ) are not deep in real relegation danger. Wigan and Aston Villa are on 30, which is close enough for very genuine danger and they both also have a game in hand ( Villa's today ).

There will no doubt also be quite a few surprise results as is common late in the season.

I would think Sunderland will most likely go with QPR and Reading. But any of these others certainly could go down.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Speaking as a Stoke fan I'm pretty worried about next weekend's game at home to Villa - whichever team loses is in very serious trouble IMO (bound to be 0-0 then!)

Reckon we need 2 wins and other than Villa our only other chance is Norwich a few weeks later.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QPR and Reading are too far adrift to stay up in my opinion.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    West Ham move out of the danger area. The Baggies are undone thanks to goals from a loan player:mad:

These loan players should not be allowed:mad::mad:
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QPR and Reading are too far adrift to stay up in my opinion.
    All it would take is a couple of wins on the bounce without those above them picking up points and the gap would be gone. Unlikely, going by their average points per game and with the number of games left running out, but not entirely impossible.