Options

Which Shows On Radio 2 are Live and which are Pre Recored

Tim_HolcroftTim_Holcroft Posts: 81
Forum Member
I know most the weekday output is Live but whos Live and whos not the rest of time, Terry Wogan sounded recorded to me yesterday as did Paul o grady. Any one know whos shows are Live and recorded mainly all the weekend djs I want to know about

Comments

• Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Elaine Paige is prerecorded. Pick of the Pops is live, I think PO'G is pre-recd as is Sunday Love Songs. Graham Norton is also live, in fact I would say most of Saturdays shows are.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds Of The 60's is pre-recorded, Dermot might start to record his shows when X Factor starts or someone covers him.

Diane Louise Jordon, Elaine Paige, Johnnie walker ( Sometimes is recorded ), Paul and most of the other output is pre-recorded..
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    Most of the regular live shows do announce that they are pre records eg. Dermot and Dave Pearce on Saturday as the live shows do have quite a lot of listener interaction.

Graham Norton occasionally pre records, there's never an announcement but you can tell as when he's live he always interacts with Bobbi Prior on travel, when he's pre recorded the travel is on immediately after the news rather than about 20 past the hour.

In contrast Paul O'Grady announces when he's live so you can text him, last time he was live I text and he read it out but he's not live very often. In fact he's away now until the end of October.

Wogan is live on Sundays as is Johnnie Walker usually. It seems Michael Ball doing more live shows on Sunday now but the rest of daytime and night stuff on Sunday is pre recorded.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know most the weekday output is Live but whos Live and whos not the rest of time, Terry Wogan sounded recorded to me yesterday as did Paul o grady. Any one know whos shows are Live and recorded mainly all the weekend djs I want to know about

The initial giveaway is any interaction or not with the travel news reporter.
  • Options
    CynicalGnomeCynicalGnome Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    It's quite amusing catching out, and exposing to the world, those dastardly pre-recorders!
  • Options
    Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Bob Harris a pre record? It always says things like 'playing live in the studio' on the website but I thought it might be recorded on a weekday afternoon or something?

I would be surprised if all the band rocks up at 1.30 in the morning to play a live set? Or maybe they do I can never guess with Radio 2

Trevor Nelson is usually live and always says when it is a pre record (usually in the form of a 'special guest' edition of the show)

I believe Allinson is also live
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im never sure If Gambo is Live or recorded
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,854
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Gambo is live as when Amy Winehouse died on a Saturday evening, he was on the TV news talking about her and he was in the R2 studios

Paul O'Grady, as already said is sometimes live, but when he's in theatre / panto he's pre recorded. JW I think is mostly live.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought shows like Paul O grady etc were always recorded, because not being 'DJ's' they wouldn't know how to perform all the fiddly bits that experienced jocks can and make it sound smooth
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One big clue is shows where the presenter never has a stand in. That means occasional, some or all editions will be pre-recorded. But as Bob Harris does have stand-ins I reckon his presentation is live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I always assumed Micheal Ball was Pre Recorded as he never talks to travel reporters
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hasn't Moira Stuart stood in for Claire Teal and shes a pre record
  • Options
    CynicalGnomeCynicalGnome Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Hasn't Moira Stuart stood in for Claire Teal and shes a pre record

Ohhhh Moira :o She is so very ravishing
  • Options
    SevrinSevrin Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Steve Wright.
    Interviews and stuff with Tim Smith is prerecorded. Links and travel stuff is live and astrology on a Monday is live.
    Sunday Love Songs is a prerecord.
    Bob Harris country on Thursday is often live as he'll chat with Simon Mayo beforehand and scoff the food that Nigel Barden has made.
    Going back to Steve Wright he will often say now that an interview is a prerecord
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I always assumed Micheal Ball was Pre Recorded as he never talks to travel reporters

I think some have been live but some have had to be recorded because of the other work commitments e.g. touring earlier in the year & this Sunday he is performing at the Kenwood House Gershwin concert.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Johnnie Walker is sometimes live/sometimes pre record. I remember a few summers ago the travel reporter (or someone like that can't remember) said something like "And you've even come in to do your show live on a day like this" so I guess that isn't always the case.

What is shocking, is how much pre recording goes on nowadays. I'm not sure how it was back in the 90s at Radio2 but I know Radio1 used to pretty much always be live all the time particularly at weekends.

Fluff, DLT, Chart Show, even Tongy used to do a one hour Essential Selection Part 2 on Sunday nights which would be live (although the Sunday show didnt last long to be fair probably because it was hardly worth it!)

Guess it shows how times have changed, they don't have to pay them as much I suppose if they're not live.

Its a shame with all these pre records. I've said before, I always think radio should be a live medium, it's so much more personal than TV and I always think a show sounds a bit flat when its pre recorded. The lack of interaction with listeners takes away that 'personal' element that radio has.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,842
    Forum Member
    Marksw76 wrote: »

Its a shame with all these pre records. I've said before, I always think radio should be a live medium, it's so much more personal than TV and I always think a show sounds a bit flat when its pre recorded. The lack of interaction with listeners takes away that 'personal' element that radio has.

Sometimes Radio 2 can't win.
    For instance if Tony records POTP then there's no endless messages from listeners telling him how wonderful he is and some like that as the show is more about the music so some complain that its a pre record. If he does it live the show is full of messages and people complain.

Live radio is much better but in all honesty how many really notice or care?
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Johnnie Walker is sometimes live/sometimes pre record. I remember a few summers ago the travel reporter (or someone like that can't remember) said something like "And you've even come in to do your show live on a day like this" so I guess that isn't always the case.

What is shocking, is how much pre recording goes on nowadays. I'm not sure how it was back in the 90s at Radio2 but I know Radio1 used to pretty much always be live all the time particularly at weekends.

Fluff, DLT, Chart Show, even Tongy used to do a one hour Essential Selection Part 2 on Sunday nights which would be live (although the Sunday show didnt last long to be fair probably because it was hardly worth it!)

Guess it shows how times have changed, they don't have to pay them as much I suppose if they're not live.

Yes they are on a contract so they get paid the same live or not. Studios have too be booked too.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Sometimes Radio 2 can't win.
    For instance if Tony records POTP then there's no endless messages from listeners telling him how wonderful he is and some like that as the show is more about the music so some complain that its a pre record. If he does it live the show is full of messages and people complain.

Live radio is much better but in all honesty how many really notice or care?

I must say that pre recorded POTP wasn't really noticeable, unless there was an obvious error by the tech op.

Take a show like Double Top 20 on Smooth and it's so obviously a pre record. In fact Jensen sounds like a robot
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bear in mind too that presenters have their own commitments outside of the station so they are hardly likely to turn down them down just to do a show live in the studio. And there are times when doing a pre-record is necessary. For instance you wouldn't expect Tony Blackburn to break off a holiday in Tenerife just to fly back to London, do POTP live, then fly back out again. It would be pointless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are the 7pm shows in the week live or recorded I've always assumed I may be wrong

Paul Jones - Pre Record
    Jamie Cullum - Pre Record
    Mark Radcliffe - Live
    Bob Harris - Mostly Live
    Desmond Carrington - I assume Pre Record but difficult to tell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And there are times when doing a pre-record is necessary. For instance you wouldn't expect Tony Blackburn to break off a holiday in Tenerife just to fly back to London, do POTP live, then fly back out again. It would be pointless.

Of course not, but back in the day surely they would have got a stand in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd rather a stand in rather than a Pre Rec. We now have Len Goodman on sundays instead of POG. I bet Len Goodman will be a Pre Record
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather a stand in rather than a Pre Rec. We now have Len Goodman on sundays instead of POG. I bet Len Goodman will be a Pre Record

I'd say so. Most of these TV personalities would be pre records, they just need to say a few links and let the engineers stitch/edit it all together and voila R2 pre record programme in the can ready for transmission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd rather them get someone like Richard Allinson or Stuart Maconie and let them do it Live