Options

Phil Collins - One Night Only

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 590
Forum Member
✭✭
Phil Collins - One Night Only

Thank f**k for that!

What gives this aged prick the right to murder classic Motown tunes?

Comments

• Options
    The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just said a similar thing to my daughter.

How to ruin brilliant songs - give them to an ageing bloke who used to sing Ok but is now like an embarrassing grandad at karaoke
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member

Copying from now obsolete thread.

Nice guy and all that, but what a boring performer, and his voice is just very ordinary. Did he pay to be on TV? Note in the ads he has an album out, great free advertising then:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked Phil Collins.

He's the sort of singer who either depresses me or just sends me to sleep.
  • Options
    open-armsopen-arms Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    I like Phil Collins but he is past is best now
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man is a legend & has done more for the music industry than dizzee what's his face & ncrapz could ever do. Sure I know that he has done wrong in the past but music wise he is one of the best.

Welcome back Phil !.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man is a legend & has done more for the music industry than dizzee what's his face & ncrapz could ever do. Sure I know that he has done wrong in the past but music wise he is one of the best.

Welcome back Phil !.

I agree with you about that rap crap but listening to to him murder these all time classics is nearly as bad.
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member

Welcome back Phil !.

I agree this is real music the crap that comes out now is just awful compared to this wish i was born in the 60's/70's era great music instead born in 1991 and have crappy music for my childhood:(
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    One minute only is too much for me. I loathe the sound of his voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's even drafted members of The Funk Brothers to back him on this show.

Sacrilege! :(:(:(:cry::cry::cry::eek::eek:::eek:
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, i think i am being lulled into it here!... not his great singing!.. just the great songs,, taking me back to my 'younger' days...... but hey!... no one does Dancing in the street like Martha Reeves and the Vandellers.....
    The closest was Mick Jagger and David Bowie.....;)
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( Tonights telly is terrible.Are we all supposed to be out partying or something?.Guess that's why i'm on here moaning.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :( Tonights telly is terrible.Are we all supposed to be out partying or something?.Guess that's why i'm on here moaning.

There is a Tom Hanks film coming on after this i am looking forward to.....:cool:
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Would never have been a singer if Peter Gabriel hadnt left. He had the voice.
  • Options
    steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Would never have been a singer if Peter Gabriel hadnt left. He had the voice.

He sung backing vocals on a lot the early Genesis songs.And was lead vocal on a couple of early Genesis songs

Plus in the early days his voice was kinda rated as it did blend well with Peter's...So i reckon he would've made the leap to singer with Face value and not Trick of the Tale if Peter would've stayed

About tonights show, pointless and sad like the motown covers album...Every artist has their peak years and Phil's were 76-91
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    steve9999 wrote: »
    He sung backing vocals on a lot the early Genesis songs
    It was more than that. The lead vocal was double-tracked with Gabriel and Collins.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm an out-of-the-closet Phil Collins fan, and even I thought it was a lacklustre performance and Phil showed no personality whatsoever.

I enjoyed the songs but it seemed like bland lounge-type music instead of the upbeat sound of Motown.

It was typical sugary lovey-dovey ITV fodder though, and I'm convinced Phil can do better.

(And I did love his version of 'Goin' Back').
  • Options
    fredsnailfredsnail Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben Sheppard didn't help matters with the wooden presenting.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    fredsnail wrote: »
    Ben Sheppard didn't help matters with the wooden presenting.

That's true - and most of the sugary-ness emanated from him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    im so glad its one night only lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just said a similar thing to my daughter.

How to ruin brilliant songs - give them to an ageing bloke who used to sing Ok but is now like an embarrassing grandad at karaoke

That's pretty much what my brother said and I have to agree. He's like an old man who thinks he can sing.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Jacket Required is a good album though.
    And he played both the UK and USA Live Aid gigs the same day.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well don't worry guys im sure cheryl cole will have her own special near christmas then you can enjoy some real music
  • Options
    GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i get the feeling that the Lacklustre performance and lack of personality is down to Phil not actually wanting to be there,i get the feeling he would have been happier at home with the kids than getting back on the album promotion bandwagon again,all the noises coming from him since the 2007 Genesis reunion tour have been that hes semi retired,and other than this new album being music he loved from his Childhood,i would suspect he would be happy to stay semi retired
  • Options
    Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steve9999 wrote: »
    He sung backing vocals on a lot the early Genesis songs.And was lead vocal on a couple of early Genesis songs

Plus in the early days his voice was kinda rated as it did blend well with Peter's...So i reckon he would've made the leap to singer with Face value and not Trick of the Tale if Peter would've stayed

About tonights show, pointless and sad like the motown covers album...Every artist has their peak years and Phil's were 76-91

Sad to say he looks about ready to meet the "Supernatural Anaesthetist"
  • Options
    Sunshine&SolaceSunshine&Solace Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the Tories are back in power and Phil Collins turns up on the telly again - I feel like I slipped through a crack in time back to the 'Eighties, now where's Gene Hunt?