Options

Sony & Panasonic panels question

2»

Comments

• Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had no significant issues on Panasonic screens at all. Those that have failed prematurely have been dealt with very well by Panasonic and replaced either free of charge or on a labour only basis. This is also the case for at least 3 other dealers that we are in frequent contact with.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    nancyboy wrote: »
    I am simply telling you that Sony has itself stated that manufacturing will increasingly be outsourced at the same time as they have been selling off half their factories (perhaps this provides a clue as to their intentions).

Outsourced Sony TVs are expected to account for 70-80% of all their global shipments in 2011, so no we are not just talking about the relatively tiny order coming in from Beko.

And where have you supposedly heard this?.
  • Options
    nancyboynancyboy Posts: 1,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And where have you supposedly heard this?.

Sony to outsource high-end LCD TVs to Foxconn and Wistron

Siu Han, Taipei; Yvonne Yu, DIGITIMES [Monday 18 October 2010]

Sony is expected to outsource its high-end LCD TVs to Taiwan-based makers, with Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) expected to produce frameless ultra-thin models and Wistron is expected to produce the Google TV for Sony.

Foxconn declined to comment regarding its clients or orders.

Sony has been adjusting its business strategy for LCD TVs, actively developing emerging markets and increasing its outsourcing ratio. Sony's LCD TV outsourced orders are expected to reach 70-80% of its total shipments in 2011, of which its Taiwan-based manufacture partner Foxconn is expected to receive orders of 15-18 million units, exceeding its fellow Taiwan-based competitor Wistron.

In order to save its precarious TV business, Sony has been selling its overseas LCD TV manufacturing plants, increasing its outsourcing and expanding its lineup of lower-cost models. Amid the increasing market share and sales, Sony has turned profitable and ended the embarrassing situation of six years of losses.
  • Options
    ccarmockccarmock Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    Sibeber wrote: »
    So Beko now make Sony tv's ? is nothing sacred ...saying that my cheapo Vestel and Beko tv's continue to satisfy me with many years of good service .

Having been a Sony enthusiast, I am getting disenchanted with their quality recently. Maybe this constant outsource to reduce cost (and quality) is the reason.

Some of their recent LED lit LCD TVs have exhibited poor uniformity of illumination. And the latest range of DVD/HDD recorders (from Samsung?) are dire. Do they actually make anything themselves anymore?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ccarmock wrote: »
    Having been a Sony enthusiast, I am getting disenchanted with their quality recently. Maybe this constant outsource to reduce cost (and quality) is the reason.

Some of their recent LED lit LCD TVs have exhibited poor uniformity of illumination. And the latest range of DVD/HDD recorders (from Samsung?) are dire. Do they actually make anything themselves anymore?

Sony have only rarely ever made either VCR's or DVD Recorders, they have mostly bought then from various different manufacturers.

They have always made all their TV's themselves (one of the few companies to have done that) until earlier this year, when they introduced a cheap range of sets made by Beko. So far they have been no problem, and come with the full Sony support and five year warranty - which personally I think is crazy, giving five year warranties on in-built DVD players. Historically, in all sets which have done this, failure of the DVD section has been a huge problem.

Obviously it remains to be seen if the sets do prove reliable long term, but at least they have the five year cover (if you buy from a Sony dealer). Hopefully they won't go the way of the ill fated LG manufactured DVD recorders :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have always made all their TV's themselves (one of the few companies to have done that) until earlier this year, :

Sony TV's have always been an assembly of bought in and JV produced components. ( apart from Trinitron CR tubes)

...when they introduced a cheap range of sets made by Beko. So far they have been no problem, and come with the full Sony support and five year warranty

You dont get a 5 year warranty on one of these at £269 for a 32" in Sainsburys:confused: Anyway as I have said the indications are that the 32" and 40" BX models are made by Funai not Beko.
    Hopefully they won't go the way of the ill fated LG manufactured DVD recorders :eek:

Surely you mean Samsung not LG?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gilson wrote: »
    Sony TV's have always been an assembly of bought in and JV produced components. ( apart from Trinitron CR tubes)

EVERY TV set uses bought-in components, no one has ever made all the bits for their own TV's, or anything else (with VERY, VERY rare exceptions).

If you buy a Mercedes car do you expect Mercedes to have made the types? - or even most of the parts.

What do you mean by "JV produced"?.

You dont get a 5 year warranty on one of these at £269 for a 32" in Sainsburys:confused: Anyway as I have said the indications are that the 32" and 40" BX models are made by Funai not Beko.

Hard to say as they are special cheap supermarket models, I believe they are 'made' in Poland?.

Surely you mean Samsung not LG?

No, LG - a far older DVD recorder, they were EXTREMELY unreliable. So far the Samsung DVD/HDD have been reliable enough, but functionally they are really pretty naff :D
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma - Viera TXP42G20B, a couple of weeks ago after reading all the reviews etc.

Within 2 days I had a thin green line from top to bottom of the screeen, about 9" in from the left.

It made it difficult to watch, and I returned it the next day, but luckily I was given a replacement TV without any hassle.

I am glad I have a free 5 year Panasonic guarantee.

Touch wood, so far this has been OK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EVERY TV set uses bought-in components, no one has ever made all the bits for their own TV's, or anything else (with VERY, VERY rare exceptions).

Philips in particular had a high in house content until a few years ago when they as it seems Sony now have decided to re-consider their best way forward in TV manufacture. (Incidentally however I did have an excellent Philips 18" CRT once where apparently virtually everything ws made by Philips except the CRT itself which was a Toshiba!)
    If you buy a Mercedes car do you expect Mercedes to have made the types? - or even most of the parts.

I assume you mean tyres? But yes if I bought a Merc ( I nearly did recently) I am confident tht the major drivetrain / underpan of the car is made by them. Of course it will have Bosch electrics and Pirelli Tyres...etc. However I would not expect that buying a Merc to find the underpan built by Kia in Korea with an engine from Proton in Malaysia and a gearbox from Tata in India!

What do you mean by "JV produced"?.

:rolleyes:Joint Venture....:rolleyes: e.g. SLCD
    Hard to say as they are special cheap supermarket models, I believe they are 'made' in Poland?.

All the 32" and 40" BX models I have seen are "Assembled in Poland" both in Sainsburys and other outlets.Where does one get a 32 or40" BX model with a 5 year Sony warranty?
    No, LG - a far older DVD recorder, they were EXTREMELY unreliable. So far the Samsung DVD/HDD have been reliable enough, but functionally they are really pretty naff :D

Explains something. Some years ago a friend of mine had a Sony DVD recorder that had huge problems and was replaced twice. he said "Never again" and later bought a Panasonic DVDR but with HDD which he still says serves him very well.

Around the time he got the Panasonic I got a Sony RDR HXD870 which I thought at the time was better than his concurrent Panasonic. It still is but I found out some 3 months after purchase that what I had bought was a Sony badged Pioneer. I was delighted and still am.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Arcelik (Beko/Grundig)-assembled Sony models are the 32U3000 (32 inches) and 26U2000 (26 inches)
    Per: http://forums.thedigitalfix.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=493731
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be honest i would not buy either LEDs and to be honest i dont like LEDs prefer LCD or plasma at least with the latter they been out many years and i doubt there is any difference in picture except in 3D and i dont like 3D anyway.
    Lets hope panasonic had learnt lessons from the bad days of there LCD s /plasma when may thousands had to go back .
    Panasonic have had there problems ! Sony to me have not got anywhere near the quality of there CRT s .back in the 90s.

I see samsung have a good LED out ! but out of my price range at £3,000
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be honest i would not buy either LEDs and to be honest i dont like LEDs prefer LCD or plasma at least with the latter they been out many years and i doubt there is any difference in picture except in 3D and i dont like 3D anyway.
    Lets hope panasonic had learnt lessons from the bad days of there LCD s /plasma when may thousands had to go back .
    Panasonic have had there problems ! Sony to me have not got anywhere near the quality of there CRT s .back in the 90s.

I see samsung have a good LED out ! but out of my price range at £3,000

What are you on about or just "on"?

There is no such thing as an LED TV (OK OLED but see elsewhere)

LED TV's are LCD TV's with an LED rather than CCFL backlight.

Panasonic have never had a high returns factor for either their LCD or Plasma TV's

Personally i never rated Sony CRT's as being anything special anyway = very synthetic/unnatural.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All the 32" and 40" BX models I have seen are "Assembled in Poland" both in Sainsburys and other outlets.Where does one get a 32 or40" BX model with a 5 year Sony warranty?

You don't, as I mentioned previously it's a special cheap set arranged for supermarkets only.

Explains something. Some years ago a friend of mine had a Sony DVD recorder that had huge problems and was replaced twice. he said "Never again" and later bought a Panasonic DVDR but with HDD which he still says serves him very well.

Sounds like it, they were the RDR-xx210 I can't remember the middle letters now), there were two entirely different production models (which looked 100% identical). But BOTH had serious reliability problems, with the DVD mechs failing.

Around the time he got the Panasonic I got a Sony RDR HXD870 which I thought at the time was better than his concurrent Panasonic. It still is but I found out some 3 months after purchase that what I had bought was a Sony badged Pioneer. I was delighted and still am.

The 870 and 890 were great machines, probably the best of the HDD/DVD recorders - Panasonic ones were prone to PSU failure for many years, and have problems with failures of some large SM IC's as well.

The Pioneer based Sony's have been absolutely brilliant, we sold hundreds, and have only ever seen one faulty (just a duff HDD). Incidently, I've just this week changed an HDD in a new Samsung based one (Seagate drive, the 890 drive was Maxtor).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I think the Arcelik (Beko/Grundig)-assembled Sony models are the 32U3000 (32 inches) and 26U2000 (26 inches)

As far as I'm aware those sets were Sony sets, not made by Beko - they are also very OLD sets now.

The Beko sets are the current 19 and 22 inch BX series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today i got a close look at a Sony 40BX400 again in a Sainsburys - says its "Assembled in Spain":D

I noted again that the 32" BX models are 32BX300's "Assembled in Poland" by Funai??

Whilst Sony have sold their LCD assembly plant in Spain to some Spanish entrepreneurial company the handover press release says the plant will continue to manufacture LCD's for Sony until at least 2012.

Meanwhile I believe Sony are moving their production of their upper models to the Czech Republic which is also where Panasonic have their European production facilities.

Perhaps Nigel Goodwin can comment on the significance if any of a 300 and a 400 Sony product description.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perhaps Nigel Goodwin can comment on the significance if any of a 300 and a 400 Sony product description.

Nope - I'm as confused as everyone else by current Sony model numbers :D

Interesting that the 40 inches are assembled in Spain though?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To add furtherto the confusion our local Tescos today had 2 Pallets of 32BX400 models still in pallet strapping with no price on them These were also "Assembled in Spain"

There was a similar pallet load of 32EX403's "Assembled in Slovakia" alongside. I think this is one of Sonys new factories

Alongside that was a pallet load of a Technica 32" model. The labels on the pallet made it plain that these were made by UMC also in Slovakia. So they are not Vestels!

When I asked the price of these TV's the Tesco chap said they had been delivered for the sale and any price in the system will be high as it will be the "was" price. The sale price will not be loaded on to the system and the price cards printed until after they close tonight. " Come back Sunday"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There was a similar pallet load of 32EX403's "Assembled in Slovakia" alongside. I think this is one of Sonys new factories

Many of the Sony sets have been built in Slovakia, there seems little rhyme or reason to it, with the same model often been assembled in different countries.