Snakes

TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

Anybody on DS keep snakes.......

I have a corn snake, shes called cornflake and she about 1.5 foot long and will grow to about 4 foot, maybe even 5.

Any other snake people would love to hear from you

g

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    :) Woo-hoo! Snakes! My favourite. :)

Corn snakes here too. :)
    • Whitey - about 16 years old, 3'6", mother to many, female snow corn.
    • Cyril - about 17 years old, 5' ish, father to MANY more!, male amel corn.
    • Phobie - about 10 years old, 4' ish, mother to a few, skittish!, female normal corn.

Used to have (but have sold on as they were taking up too much space :():
    • Demie - sold at approx age 9, 4'6", mother to a few, female anery corn.
    • Heid - the first egg I managed to hatch :) - sold at approx age 8, 5' ish, father to none, male amel corn.
    • Number 13 - sold at approx age 3, 3', crazy male normal corn. (Only one that ever tagged me properly ... little shite! :))
    • Tigrou - the second egg we hatched - the runt of the clutch, always a problem feeder - eaten by Heid at approx age 1 :( - that taught me about co-habiting corn snakes ... ie. don't do it!

Also ....
    • Approx corn snake 100 hatchlings over the years - sold at ages 1 to 6 months.
    • Psycho - viscious, unfriendly, nasty tempered water snake - died age approx 3 months ..... cos I was stupid and didn't research the snake, or how to set the tank up :o. Which was probably a good thing to be honest cos this thing had an EVIL temper and would have grown to about 6 feet long and been quite a handful. :eek:

I did my research before I got it right second time with the corns ..... :)

Pics of Whitey, Cyril and Phobie .... here.

(With bonus picture of one of my cats thrown in.)
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi sancheeez,

Nice to hear from a fellow snake keeper, you certainly like your snakes and I wish I had the room to keep a few more but I dont so one will have to do.......so far

I lived in south africa when I was a teenager ( 20 years ago ) and always wanted to keep snakes but by mother would not let me but I had a friend who's father kept many snakes and I handled most of them daily, he even kept a few deadly ones ( green mamba was one, lovely snake, my fav of all time, gracefull and I remember quite a stunning green ), he was a bit crazy but he knew what he was doing.

We used to go snake hunting(watching) on the veld ( grass land ) , saw loads of snakes, what a time I had......

Now 20 years on I have finally got my first snake, I know I said I have not got the room for more but once my kids have flown the nest I will have the room and I plan on a few more.

Naver been tagged yet but I am waiting for the time when it does happen......cornflake is really good natured, never been aggresive ever

Cyril is such a cutie.......and the ohers of course......

h
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    I have an egg eating snake. I used to keep corn snakes, king snakes etc..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I was thinking of getting an egg eater a couple of years back. Nice snakes.

But then we moved house and thats when I had to cut back a bit cos they were taking up too much space. So the egg eater plans went on hold for the forseeable future.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have any snakes at present, but used to keep them for many years. I started out with catching grass snakes and adders in the back garden and behind the house, but quickly moved on to other slightly more exotic ones after spending a summer helping in the reptile house of the local zoo where I managed to handle quite a few different species although none of the dangerous ones (zoo was also a venom centre), over the years I've had:

Garter snakes - red, californian and canadian which were all small 18" ones, and a florida king garter snake which was around 4 foot.

Ribbon snake - again around 18" long

Black Rat snake - really beautiful looking animal - jet black with a white throat and was very quick, unfortunately it was also a vicious bad tempered bugger and used to strike at anything coming close to it's tank so i couldn't keep it as it would have harmed itself.

Royal Python - 5 foot and very nice snake, but a very fussy eater.

Burmese python - was 9 foot when I had to get rid of him as he was getting big, and due to having to go abroad a lot at the time it was hard getting a snake sitter;)

Although not a snake, my last reptile was an Iguana who was just under 6 foot long with tail.

I'd love to get another snake one day when finances allow it, and will most likely go for a corn snake as never had one and they grow to a nice size that isn't to big so won't need as much room as I did with the python or iguana.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Another corn snake here!!

Amel?? the pink one about a year old. She's lovely very socialable will come to the front of the tank if you open the door. Growing lots at the moment and shedding every 3/4 weeks at the minute.

Will be good to ask you guys all my snake queries, this is our first snake due to hubby always wanting one, we are complete novices but learning as much as we can.
  • wsmansemwsmansem Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey peeps !

Big problem , Any ideas how I can convince my lovely wife to let me have a snake ???????

I fell in love with a Snow striped cornsnake yesterday !

Problem is the wife who just said NO !!!!!!

We have a couple of dogs ,a cat , an axolotl , two tanks of fish and says she just wouldn't feel safe with a snake in the house.!

We used to have a lizars a few years ago and she loved it .

Anyways , we looked after a friend's snake a few months ago but it was nasty and tried to bite us when we tried to change it's water , then the damn thing escaped and we had to seal the room up with gaffer tape until our son came home :)

I was in our local Aquarium buying some tropical fish , when I noticed a reptile tank setup on the counter. I asked a few questions about it and suddenly I was holding a snake for the first time. This snake was about 15 inches long and so very calm . The bloke said it may be because it's used to so many people standing next to the tank and as it gets a lot of attention and handling.

Cost is £95 for the snake or £150 for a complete set up with snake inc.

The tank has double doors and a catch and is about 16" by 16 " and about 24 "high ( roughly ).

I asked if tey had any "real friendly , tame ones" and they said the one I had been holding ( snow striped) and a Butter Motley one were the two friendliest ones.

The Butter Motley was dull in colour but the bloke said it was ready to shed it's skin and it would be nice a yellow in a short while.

Am I correct in thinking that the Butter Mottley will be a nice solid yellow colour and the Snow Striped will be mainly white with a yellow stripe underneath or bottom third ??

So , any ideas how I can convince my lovely wife to let me have a snake ???????
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Rat snake - really beautiful looking animal - jet black with a white throat and was very quick, unfortunately it was also a vicious bad tempered bugger and used to strike at anything coming close to it's tank so i couldn't keep it as it would have harmed itself.

Royal Python - 5 foot and very nice snake, but a very fussy eater.

Exactly the same here. Bertie Bassett the rat snake was a vicious sod and Baldrick the royal python was a total sweetie, but hard to feed.

We ended up giving them to girl who worked in the vet that looked after the snakes for the zoo so that they got the care we couldn;t give them...
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    royals are like that though, my friend has one which should be on rats but he won't touch them
    so she has to feed him two mice at every feed rather than one rat

I have a 4 & half foot female cali king snake
    unimaginatively, called Callie :p

i was given her as a rescue case, she hadn't been handled "apparently"
    but she was fine to pick up, other than venting, which kings do anyway. joyful!
    she has been a very good snake though - nothing like the ones i had to deal with when i worked in the pet shop with them.

i'm after another king, an albino or banded cali, or mexican black
    or maybe an albino royal, but they're so expensive
    and my mum would kill me anyway!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother has a Honduran Milk Snake called Gizmo :D
  • SnakeGuySnakeGuy Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Another CornSnake owner here :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the bloke now has a tangerine honduran milk :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Further to my earlier post, I got a baby Royal Python 2 weeks ago - he's about 18" long and called Tyr, yesterday I got an Anery Corn Snake, about 2.5 foot long and called Ares.
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Further to my earlier post, I got a baby Royal Python 2 weeks ago - he's about 18" long and called Tyr, yesterday I got an Anery Corn Snake, about 2.5 foot long and called Ares.

Hey keep in touch !

I may need your help on a regular basis as I'm getting a young Royal Python next week , all paid for , just eaiting delivery . I currently have 5 Corn snakes but fell in love with a lovely looking female Royal whilst checking the classifieds online . I think she's about 5 months old - 18" long and a good eater . My only concern is that they can can develope eating problems which is a worry .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you feed them one thing and stick to that you shouldn't go far wrong with royals, the main issues are with wild caught ones.

there are a fair few tricks you can do to try and trick them into eating a different prey item when you need to make a switch to something bigger.
    they are buggers for fasting too sometimes, however, usually they are fine ad will start eating again eventually
    or a vet or reptile expert may try force feeding

these are the horror stories though - and most royals will eat happily their entire lives :)

just try and make sure you don't give them anything they may overly struggle with - this put my friends royal off rats for good. she's having to feed him 4 jumbo mice a week now as he won't entertain a rat at all

further to my post up there about the milk snake too, she's escaped. thanks to the reptile shop messing us about with her new viv.
    we've not seen her for over a month and a half.
    feeling she's under the floorboards, so we're a bit buggered for finding her :/

'course though, my bloke is a fanny artist, over paid for the viv, then wouldn't go back and throw it back at them when the snake had gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnakeGuy wrote: »
    Hey keep in touch !

I may need your help on a regular basis as I'm getting a young Royal Python next week , all paid for , just eaiting delivery . I currently have 5 Corn snakes but fell in love with a lovely looking female Royal whilst checking the classifieds online . I think she's about 5 months old - 18" long and a good eater . My only concern is that they can can develope eating problems which is a worry .

No worries. Mine was captive bred but the previous owener had to force feed him, but she got him eating defrosted mice, I've had him two month's now and he's had 2 mice every week so far no problem and just before feeding day starts looking for his next meal - he's getting a right tubby now lol

http://www.wightdragon.co.uk/Royal6.jpg this is a picture of him, he looks big, but he's only in a 12L RUB atm till he's big enough for a viv (Royals like to feel safe and secure so prefer smaller homes with hides to stop them stressing).
    Forum Member
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    No worries. Mine was captive bred but the previous owener had to force feed him, but she got him eating defrosted mice, I've had him two month's now and he's had 2 mice every week so far no problem and just before feeding day starts looking for his next meal - he's getting a right tubby now lol

http://www.wightdragon.co.uk/Royal6.jpg this is a picture of him, he looks big, but he's only in a 12L RUB atm till he's big enough for a viv (Royals like to feel safe and secure so prefer smaller homes with hides to stop them stressing).

Looks like a beaut .

How long is he by the way ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like a beaut .

How long is he by the way ?

He's about 18" long, he's CB09 but small for his age due to his early eating problems - I weighed him in December at 280g, so will do it again when his meal has settled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey keep in touch !

Did you get your Royal?

I get my latest addidtion in the morning - a baby Russian Rat Snake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a corn snake and a royal python. The python is on a hunger strike atm though. Tried him on various types of baby mouse, pinkies, fuzzies, you name it. He just refuses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it could be the time of year with your royal

my friends royal has stopped, my king has stopped and my blokes (now found!) milk has also refused food

they are prone to just fast though, so just keep an eye on his condition and weight
    he'll decide to eat again at some point, if he becomes too skinny then you should maybe think about force feeding
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since my last post I've added a Mexican Black King Snake and a Checkered Garter Snake to my small collection - the Garter was a RSPCA rehome. The other 3 are all coming along nicely and the Royal has doubled in weight and is now 27" long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aw man, i am so jealous of that MBK
    i would love one of those