Options

Looking for a good value computer set-up for making decent quality music

Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm interested in composing and recording music via computer. Chicane was one of my favourite artists and one of the types of music I want to make is in that style - dance with an ambient flavour.

I'd be grateful if anyone with experience in doing this can give me some advice on a set-up that doesn't cost too much but is good value for money and will help me achieve reasonably professional results.

If I can expand this set up to record rock music later, so much the better.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might be better asking in the computing section.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=40
  • Options
    ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbush is right, try the computing forums. But also bear in mind, it all depends on your definition of "costs too much" - this can be a very expensive hobby. The computer doesn't need to be super-powered (our 2 year-old iMac runs Ableton Live reasonably happily), but the software isn't cheap (depends what you choose, but you could easily spend anywhere from a couple of hundrer to £1k). Then you need a decent pair of monitors (speakers) or headphones (preferably both) so you can actually hear what you're producing properly. No good thinking it sounds fine, then someone plays it elsewhere and you realise there's no bass, too much treble, etc etc. Then there's peripherals - a good sound card, audio interface and perhaps midi controller (we've got a small 3-octave keyboard with a variety of sliders and dials) all help.

And with that, I've exhausted all my knowledge. Best advice might be to get on YouTube and watch loads of producers talk about their setup, how they produce. Computer Music magazine seems useful too, and there might be others specific to the genre you're interested in.