Options

Could be moving to Bristol; could use some advice

Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have an interview next week and if successful I'll be working in Bristol - or to be more specific, in Almondsbury at the Aztec Park (BS32), which as I understand it is right in the north of the city.

I'll be moving from Manchester and while I've covered Bristol for work in the past, I don't know much about the different areas. I'll be looking to rent somewhere small while I'm on secondment and if it becomes permanent, look for somewhere more stable.

Does anyone know what parts of the city might be good to rent in, bearing in mind that I'll be using public transport? Somewhere quiet with reasonably cheap renting will suit me the best.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it near the M4/M5 junction? (the Aztec hotel is near here so it sounds like it - I used to work down there quite a bit with a suppliers' near there). If so Bradley Stoke is good, lots of new housing there and greenery too so perfectly suitable for your initial secondment. Don't let the fact that it's so close to the junction put you off, it's actually quite green & nice there and I live next door to the M1/M62 junction and can't hear a thing!
  • Options
    ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know that much about Bristol, however I was planning to move there years ago and work in pretty much the same area.

The houses we looked at were in Bradley Stoke which if I remember is a short distance from Aztec and also Cribbs Causeway for shopping. Very much was a middle class area at the time, full of new build houses and not too expensive. It seemed to have pretty good bus links too at the time into the city centre.

Could have all changed though!
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aztec Park is about 5 miles out of the city centre but is well served with buses along Gloucester Road and from the city centre.

Filton,Southmead and Patchway are three areas close to where you'll be working but almost any area will cost more than a Manchester equivalent.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an interview next week and if successful I'll be working in Bristol - or to be more specific, in Almondsbury at the Aztec Park (BS32), which as I understand it is right in the north of the city.

I'll be moving from Manchester and while I've covered Bristol for work in the past, I don't know much about the different areas. I'll be looking to rent somewhere small while I'm on secondment and if it becomes permanent, look for somewhere more stable.

Does anyone know what parts of the city might be good to rent in, bearing in mind that I'll be using public transport? Somewhere quiet with reasonably cheap renting will suit me the best.

Don't rent near St Paul's. :D
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it near the M4/M5 junction? (the Aztec hotel is near here so it sounds like it - I used to work down there quite a bit with a suppliers' near there). If so Bradley Stoke is good, lots of new housing there and greenery too so perfectly suitable for your initial secondment. Don't let the fact that it's so close to the junction put you off, it's actually quite green & nice there and I live next door to the M1/M62 junction and can't hear a thing!

Thanks! It being next to a motorway junction wouldn't bother me in the slightest as long as there's relatively little trouble around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's really not too bad at all, no complaints and I used to walk 2 miles from the hotel to the site in all seasons without any bother.

Knowle, on the other hand.....
  • Options
    liblobliblob Posts: 21,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    Don't rent near St Paul's. :D
    Yeah, it's really not too bad at all, no complaints and I used to walk 2 miles from the hotel to the site in all seasons without any bother.

Knowle, on the other hand.....

Nor Easton, Hartcliffe or Southmead.
  • Options
    chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Make sure you learn the krek waiters peak bristle :).
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have close friends who live in Bradley Stoke. It's a nice area, I would live there and a good area to get to Almondsbury from.

I also have rellies in Almondsbury and Alveston - just down the road. Both lovely villages but a bit more expensive to live in. It's a nice area.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bradley Stoke (or sadly broke as the locals affectionately call it, due to the thousands and thousands of homes that ended up in negative equity when we had the last big housing crash :D ) and Patchway are both nearby, and both on a bus route to Aztec West, the one thing I would say, is the traffic is terrible around there in the rush hour, and so you might need to factor that in to your commute time.

Both places mentioned would be reasonable to rent, Filton is a bit further down the A38, and within public transport travelling distance as well.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live in Bristol. It's a great city but the public transport isn't the best in the world so for a temporary placement I'd rent as close to work as possible in the Almondsbury/Bradley Stoke area. I used to live in Redland (very studenty area) and it was a total pain if you wanted to get out to the outer areas by bus.

Yes, Bradley Stoke was called Sadly Broke when I lived in Bristol but I think it has improved now as facilities have developed and there should be loads of rental properties available.

If you end up stopping there permanently then you could look at somewhere closer to the city centre once you have got a feel for the city.