Options

Deliveries going missing

TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Need some advice.

There are 2 other addresses the same as our address in a 1.5 mile radius.

The delivery drivers satnavs seems to take them to one of the others 2 addresses. Never had a satnav so I dont know the process of finding an address.

Over the years we have had about £1000 of deliveries go missing, luckly we managed to get the money back from all of them.

But today, we were getting a freezer delivered, the driver phoned up to say he was on his way, we put special instructions on the delivery note to say exactly where we were and to phone upon delivery.

The satnav took them to the wrong address, the driver and his mate said the woman took one look and rushed them into the house, they both felt something was wrong so they phoned us back, we assured them they were at the wrong address and they left.

They would not tell us which address they took it too but said the woman acted dodgy thats why they phoned to confirm.

Our son last year was getting fed during the night through a nose feeder, we got monthly deliveries of the food which some months would go missing, one of the drivers commented that he had delivered it to the wrong house and noticed in the yard loads of boxes of feed.

Its getting ridiculous that we think twice about getting deliveries.

Its just plain stupid to have 3 addreses the same in a 1.5 mile radius, but what can we do.

If a delivery goes missing, can I phone the police if the company confirms it has been delievered or am I just wasting my time.

Comments

• Options
    doormousedoormouse Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's bad. Isn't this what postcodes are for?

I'm the same as you with addresses, but have only had the odd letter go astray. I really don't know what to advise but hopefully someone will be along soon who does.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    It would be very unusual to have more than one address exactly the same within the same postcode area (eg MK18 covers Buckingham and I can think of no shared street names between the town and any of the surrounding villages covered). And there should definitely be no conflict using the full postcode. Unless you postcode is one of those which is erroneously located on the database. Have you tried entering the postcode into Google maps or Streetmaps and see where that shows it to be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    It would be very unusual to have more than one address exactly the same with the same postcode area (eg MK18 7 covers Buckingham and I can think of no shared street names between the town and any of the surrounding villages covered). And there should definitely be no conflict using the full postcode. Unless you postcode is one of those which is erroneously located on the database. Have you tried entering the postcode into Google maps or Streetmaps and see where that shows it to be?

I dont know what their post codes are but they wont be the same, it will be the same first 3 chars.

I have never had a sat nav but I assume they are keying in the address and not the postcode and selecting the address that comes up, the wrong address.

Google maps comes up with my address, when the post code is entered.

When only the street and town, it comes up with one of the others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could try enterting the street name into Streetmaps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the only way around this then OP is everytime you order anything, to make a point of emphasising your postcode to the suppliers, explaining the problem. Personally, I'd go to see that woman and give her a piece of my mind. And even inform the police about her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would be surprised if the delivery driver is going to the faff of entering a street name in their sat-nav rather than the postcode. I am suspecting more and more it is a postcode database error which are the very devil to get corrected in my experience.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I share the same address with a flat two doors along.
    They're actually a number, while I'm a number + A but they insist on adding A to their address as well.

This causes more confusion for deliveries. My address for mail is really precise, saying where it's next to but the odd parcel still goes missing, especially if the regular postie is on holiday or it's a different delivery company.

Sadly the other tenants are thieving ***** so it's a bit of a black hole at their house as I've pretty much no chance of seeing my mail again if it goes there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse wrote: »
    I think the only way around this then OP is everytime you order anything, to make a point of emphasising your postcode to the suppliers, explaining the problem. Personally, I'd go to see that woman and give her a piece of my mind. And even inform the police about her.

We do inform the suppliers, some listen and some don't. Any items of value which are small we have started to get them delivered to my daughters house.

We have a guess who the culprit is out of the other 2 houses but have no proof.

The driver today would not tell us which one it was today.

One parcel went missing last year ( £650 ), but this time the van had GPS tracking, when we complained it was not delivered they checked the vans logs and they confirmed it was delivered to the wrong house, I eventually after a month got my money back but did not find out what happened after that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be surprised if the delivery driver is going to the faff of entering a street name in their sat-nav rather than the postcode. I am suspecting more and more it is a postcode database error which are the very devil to get corrected in my experience.

thought of that too. how would you go about enquiring about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you tried my suggestion of entering the postcode into Streetmaps?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience, Delivery drivers never faff to read the special instructions either.

Presumably the OP's neighbours have the same problem. Have they found a solution?
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you have to lose by informing the police? The woman is stealing and the driver might not tell you but he would tell the police and as a witness *maybe* there is something of a case to be built although the company effected might have to complain. At the very least they police might go and have a quiet word.

Worse case is they say they cannot do anything, nothing ventured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We do inform the suppliers, some listen and some don't. Any items of value which are small we have started to get them delivered to my daughters house.

We have a guess who the culprit is out of the other 2 houses but have no proof.

The driver today would not tell us which one it was today.

One parcel went missing last year ( £650 ), but this time the van had GPS tracking, when we complained it was not delivered they checked the vans logs and they confirmed it was delivered to the wrong house, I eventually after a month got my money back but did not find out what happened after that.

There's this option:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/collection-services

Would that help? I know it's not fair and an inconvenience to you but far better than all this wrangling. Temporarily, at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience, Delivery drivers never faff to read the special instructions either.

Presumably the OP's neighbours have the same problem. Have they found a solution?

Yes, everybody I have talked too.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I would be tempted to go to the other address with made up parcel in your name, when she answers simply ask "I have a parcel for Mr Toon Army" and if she takes it then inform her that you know there isn't a "mr toon army" living at this address and that you are in fact said person.

Then ask for everything she has kept of yours in return for not reporting her to the police for theft. If she doesn't comply then simply report her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    I would be tempted to go to the other address with made up parcel in your name, when she answers simply ask "I have a parcel for Mr Toon Army" and if she takes it then inform her that you know there isn't a "mr toon army" living at this address and that you are in fact said person.

Then ask for everything she has kept of yours in return for not reporting her to the police for theft. If she doesn't comply then simply report her.

That's a cunningly simple but effective plan!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried my suggestion of entering the postcode into Streetmaps?

Takes me to my address, all addresses have an FK2 postcode
  • Options
    Forum Member
    doormouse wrote: »
    That's a cunningly simple but effective plan!

Just call me baldrick :D
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had a similar problem but the addresses have different postcodes and mine has a Locality (village). When we first had problems I made a point of hand delivering their mail that was delivered to me and giving them my correct address and telephone number.

On one occasion I got a letter from BT telling me that they were moving my telephone number to a new address. Somehow the people at the other address had ailed to give their post code and BT assumed my address.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't do that - it's classed as blackmail, which is illegal. (Mind you, she'd need an independent, credible witness to what you said.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about going to the Falkirk Herald, shame them into stopping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could have a chat with your local regular posty and ask if they have come across similar mix ups with addresses down your way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't do that - it's classed as blackmail, which is illegal. (Mind you, she'd need an independent, credible witness to what you said.)

Surely blackmail is extorting money/goods that don't belong to you but this is attempting to get the OPs own property back.

its akin to saying "you stole my property, return it and I won't go to the police" in other words, giving the thief an opportunity to return stolen goods.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You will not be be guilty of blackmail if it reasonable to believe that your demand is warranted. Asking for your stuff back would be warrented.

The only thing to be aware of is it is no longer the property of the OP as they have already had a replacement/refund. Therefore its the property of the originating vendor.
    (1) A person is guilty of blackmail if, with a view to gain for himself or another or with intent to cause loss to another, he makes any unwarranted demand with menaces; and for this purpose a demand with menaces is unwarranted unless the person making it does so in the belief:
    (a) that he has reasonable grounds for making the demand; and
    (b) that the use of the menaces is a proper means of reinforcing the demand.
    (2) The nature of the act or omission demanded is immaterial, and it is also immaterial whether the menaces relate to action to be taken by the person making the demand.
  • Options
    esquilaxesquilax Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Surely blackmail is extorting money/goods that don't belong to you but this is attempting to get the OPs own property back.

its akin to saying "you stole my property, return it and I won't go to the police" in other words, giving the thief an opportunity to return stolen goods.

But the OP said that they've managed to get refunds for eveything that's gone missing (except for, presumably, the freezer), which means that those goods aren't the OP's property any more.