Options

Do you feel any sympathy/pity for obese people?

LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know a few people who are a gross size. Then when I look at what they eat - it is no wonder, they can eat their own body weight in food. I have never told anyone that they should lose weight because it is not my business to interfere. But I can honestly say that I get sick of fat people moaning about their size and not doing anything to change their habits.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, always better to keep a really, really tight reign on your supply of sympathy. How awful if you ran out.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of obese people are mentally ill.Over eating to that extent is sometimes a mask for deeper psychological disturbances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's always a happy moment when another 'let's say nasty things about fat people' thread starts. I don't think we have had the expression 'get off their fat arses' or 'step away from the pies' or 'second law of thermodynamics' or 'making excuses' or 'tiny number with a medical condition' yet, but I guess it won't be long.

In answer to the OP, I would like to think that I always feel sympathy towards people who routinely suffer from abuse and ridicule. I also believe that most of us settle to a natural weight in time, which may be more than we would choose, but which is liveable with; the people who don't are very unlucky, and the last thing in the world we should be doing is picking on them, criticising them and affecting to feel superior to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    A lot of obese people are mentally ill.Over eating to that extent is sometimes a mask for deeper psychological disturbances.

Have you any facts and figures to back up what you say. I would be very interested to read them.
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the circumstances, I suppose. I have far more sympathy for people addicted to food than I do addicted to smoking/alcohol/drugs/gambling etc. You can live without those things, you can't live without food. A food addict has to face their problems three times a day, every day. You can't not eat.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LilyAnna80 wrote: »
    Have you any facts and figures to back up what you say. I would be very interested to read them.

Just my life experiences.
    I've been both fat and thin..Now,somewhere inbetween.I understand what can make one person fat,and another thin.It's not all about black and white.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Some in here: http://www.noo.org.uk/uploads/doc/vid_10266_Obesity%20and%20mental%20health_FINAL_070311_MG.pdf

Obese people are considerably more likely to be depressed, and depressed people are considerably more likely to be obese. That seems quite a toxic feedback loop to me. Two thirds of extremely obese people suffer from clinical depression; the study says that the relationship between the two states is complex and goes both ways. The mental health of severely obese adolescents is comparable with that of adolescents with cancer. Non-obese teenagers who suffer from depression are more likely to become obese later in life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's always a happy moment when another 'let's say nasty things about fat people' thread starts. I don't think we have had the expression 'get off their fat arses' or 'step away from the pies' or 'second law of thermodynamics' or 'making excuses' or 'tiny number with a medical condition' yet, but I guess it won't be long.

In answer to the OP, I would like to think that I always feel sympathy towards people who routinely suffer from abuse and ridicule. I also believe that most of us settle to a natural weight in time, which may be more than we would choose, but which is liveable with; the people who don't are very unlucky, and the last thing in the world we should be doing is picking on them, criticising them and affecting to feel superior to them.

At what point did I say I felt superior to anyone. You are taking a thread and running away with it. I don't understand why people who are overweight don't just eat less and do more. All of the people I know who are seriously fat seem to want to do something about it, except diet. Is food that much of an addiction?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's often (but not always) a deeper issue. The links between obesity and depression are more than coincidental. It's like a vicious circle that's very tough to break.

And for the severely obese it's clearly a mental illness, maybe a form of self harm. You'd never get threads like this criticising anorexics, saying they 'should just eat more'. Everyone accepts it's a bigger issue than that with anorexics, but finds it harder to believe the same for the morbidly obese.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At what point did I say I felt superior to anyone. You are taking a thread and running away with it. I don't understand why people who are overweight don't just eat less and do more. All of the people I know who are seriously fat seem to want to do something about it, except diet. Is food that much of an addiction?

I don't understand why really skinny people don't just eat some cake.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a few people who are a gross size. Then when I look at what they eat - it is no wonder, they can eat their own body weight in food. I have never told anyone that they should lose weight because it is not my business to interfere. But I can honestly say that I get sick of fat people moaning about their size and not doing anything to change their habits.

I very much doubt that happens as often as you're implying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes it is, yes. Some people are just born not to be very hungry. Other people are born to be hungry all the time. Obviously people in the second group will find it much harder to stay slim.

Adopted children have a body weight very close to that of their biological parents, not their adoptive parents, even if they have been adopted as babies.

Experiments on food deprivation showed that after a while the participants became very depressed and really obsessed with food. After the experiments are over, participants have tended to put on weight extremely fast. The same seems to happen with people who go on diets: they hit a certain weight then find it harder and harder and harder to keep their weight down; people who have lost a lot of weight nearly always put most of it back on very rapidly as their body send out urgent hunger signals.

If you are someone who doesn't suffer from rapid and severe hunger, it is probably hard for you to understand. If you find that you 'forget to eat' when you are busy, you are lucky with your genes, and will almost certainly stay slim. You may find it hard to imagine the severe hunger pains that another person will suffer from if they are late with a meal. Some unlucky people seem to have no satiety point at all: they can have a big meal, then feel sick with hunger an hour later. Do they deserve your pity? Yes, they really do. It is not your iron willpower that stops you eating as much as they do, it is the simple fact that you don't want to.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyond weird medical conditions? no.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice thread.

You've done yourself proud and can tell all of your friends how clever you are.

I bet they're all up posting poison on a forum too at stupid o'clock in the morning, aren't they?

Or maybe they're cuddling up with a nice boyfriend or girlfriend and too happy with life to bother with what seems to give you pleasure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Nice thread.

I bet they're all up posting poison on a forum too at stupid o'clock in the morning, aren't they?

Or maybe they're cuddling up with a nice boyfriend or girlfriend and too happy with life to bother with what seems to give you pleasure.

So why are you here?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't. I was obese at one time and after seeing a photo at a dance we were at I thought "holy shit, i'm a fat git". I've lost over 3 stone since then and although i'm a bit overweight I can handle that. I also have thyroid problems that don't help.

I've never been a fast food junkie but eat a healthier diet now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why are you here?
    I just woke up to go to the loo and checked to see if that thread was still up.

You?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice thread.

Ohhhhhhhh dear, are you not happy with your life:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »

My neice is mentally ill and was over 30 stone. Her parents took her to Canada and told her to fly she would have to lose weight. She lost 14 stone. She's still a big girl but her parents are supportive and help all they can.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I'm going to make the suggestion that if the op finds basic sympathy too much to manage they should attempt instead to simply restrain themselves from making any assumptions at all about people based on their weight.

When it comes right down to it most people don't want the sympathy of strangers, but even more than that they don't want ill informed judgement either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You?

If I woke up and needed the loo, I would not think let me check on DS. Did you check before you went to the loo or after you went to the loo, or whilst you were sitting on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You?

hahahah. yeah right. i often get up in the middle of the night, take a wee, check a forum and post "poison".

How's the other place treating you?

As for me i'm up paranoid drinking beer because i'm pretty sure one day im going to get killed but you can thank me that i took hundreds of millions of pounds worth of drugs off the street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I'm going to make the suggestion that if the op finds basic sympathy too much to manage they should attempt instead to simply restrain themselves from making any assumptions at all about people based on their weight.

When it comes right down to it most people don't want the sympathy of strangers, but even more than that they don't want ill informed judgement either.

Everyone makes judgements, apparently we make them within 10 seconds of meeting new people according to scientists. I never said I was offering sympathy, I said it was not up to me to say anything about a persons weight. What I don't understand is why obese people state that they want to lose weight and do nothing about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hahahah. yeah right. i often get up in the middle of the night, take a wee, check a forum and post "poison".

How's the other place treating you?

As for me i'm up paranoid drinking beer because i'm pretty sure one day im going to get killed but you can thank me that i took hundreds of millions of pounds worth of drugs of the street.
    Well since you asked, OH was coughing which woke me up and I went to the loo and couldn't get back to sleep.

My laptop is next to my side of the bed and never switched-off - the DS page was open from earlier and I refreshed it.

As for your question re 'the other place' I'll leave you invent a scenario in that fertile imagination of yours.

Night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well since you asked, OH was coughing which woke me up and I went to the loo and couldn't get back to sleep.

My laptop is next to my side of the bed and never switched-off - the DS page was open from earlier and I refreshed it.

As for your question re 'the other place' I'll leave you invent a scenario in that fertile imagination of yours.

Night.

Ah well, as good an excuse as any other I suppose.