✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31737635

Quelle Surprise

That's it, I'm voting UKIP now

Comments

• Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    How are UKIP going to help. You are aware that they would like to keep roaming charges yes? They're for businesses...
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    How are UKIP going to help. You are aware that they would like to keep roaming charges yes? They're for businesses...

Oh for goodness sake, it was a joke !!.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31737635

Quelle Surprise

That's it, I'm voting UKIP now

what?

So because you are angry about roaming charges you'd vote for the party who wants to cut all ties with Europe therefore meaning the networks can go back to charging the kind of charges you see charged outside the EU currently?

Brilliant thinking, absolutely brilliant thinking...
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Mark C wrote: »
    Oh for goodness sake, it was a joke !!.

Use an emoticon then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Use an emoticon then.

Do you always need irony and satire pointed out to you ?
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember though, even the original plan to "abolish" roaming charges didn't abolish them. There was always supposed to be some sort of fair use allowance you could have after which you would be charged but they never agreed on how big this allowance would be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    Remember though, even the original plan to "abolish" roaming charges didn't abolish them. There was always supposed to be some sort of fair use allowance you could have after which you would be charged but they never agreed on how big this allowance would be.

Well the original plan was to abolish, then it was said there would be fair use (but people ignored this) and now it's been scrapped.

Yet I'll guarantee that the overwhelming majority will be expecting roaming charges to magically disappear in December and will get mad and start complaining (entitlement complex) when it doesn't happen.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    Glad I have Three then.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Well the original plan was to abolish, then it was said there would be fair use (but people ignored this) and now it's been scrapped.

Yet I'll guarantee that the overwhelming majority will be expecting roaming charges to magically disappear in December and will get mad and start complaining (entitlement complex) when it doesn't happen.

Yeah but the earlier plan wouldn't have eliminated charges this year. It would still have been a few years off and was more market driven hence why the alternative roaming providers and local breakout options were brought in last year. It was only when they decided to accelerate things to this year and do it by regulation instead of the market that the fair use allowance came in.

I agree there's going to be some disappointed punters expecting the charges to have disappeared but then the Commission / Parliament overhyped it and most of the media didn't understand it properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree there's going to be some disappointed punters expecting the charges to have disappeared but then the Commission / Parliament overhyped it and most of the media didn't understand it properly.

100% agree.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    I rather thought it was set in stone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    -ajm- wrote: »
    I rather thought it was set in stone.

and so it begins....
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it's a good thing for the majority of people who rarely if ever need EU roaming, and who would prefer to have cheaper UK usage rather than dealing with UK price increases to counteract the loss of revenue and helping to subside those who travel a lot.

It's already happened, e.g. http://www.vodafone.co.uk/campaigns/price-changes/price-change-7 where the UK prices have increased by about the same amount as the EU prices have decreased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer the best of both worlds to be honest.
  • Options
    binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This delay is the result of something of a disagreement / power struggle between the European Commission and European Parliament, both of which are pro 'roam-like-at-home', and the governments of the EU member states, many of which are more wary (and have been subject to heavy lobbying from telecoms operators).

Wall Street Journal - EU to Leave Mobile Roaming Charges in Place Until 2018

telecompaper - Ansip criticises EU members delay on roaming
    (refers to Digital Single Market Commissioner Andrus Ansip)

Note the comments in the second article on the fears of eastern European countries in particular having to raise domestic prices to compensate - that's coupled with the worry about EU consumers seeking out the best deal in any of the EU member states, bearing in mind that wages and costs of living vary significantly, as do travel patterns.
  • Options
    nafanny29nafanny29 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EU and its policies are such hypercritical BS.

A prime example is you are not allowed to order booze or **** online from a member country without then having to pay UK duty.

I would be happy if we voted to get out to be honest, the negatives outweigh the advantages IMO.
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    nafanny29 wrote: »
    The EU and its policies are such hypercritical BS.

A prime example is you are not allowed to order booze or **** online from a member country without then having to pay UK duty.

I would be happy if we voted to get out to be honest, the negatives outweigh the advantages IMO.

Another strange conclusion, you would rather get out because HMRC tries to circumvent the common market by making arbitrary 'guidelines' relating to tobacco and alcohol. That way you would end up paying UK duty on every item ordered from another member country, like mobile phones from Amazon.es or .de as an example.

I would rather we vote for a government that would just apply the rules so the system did work as a proper common market and you could then order your tobacco from any member state you wanted...
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hence why the alternative roaming providers and local breakout options were brought in last year. .

I hadn't realised that had happened? I know it was meant to but i didn't think it had?
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    binary wrote: »
    that's coupled with the worry about EU consumers seeking out the best deal in any of the EU member states, bearing in mind that wages and costs of living vary significantly, as do travel patterns.

Well that never bothered 'them' when they invented the Euro?
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roaming chargers are a bit of a bugger, but thankfully most networks offer some form of bundle if you are going abroad. I am due to go to Turkey at the end of the month & Vodafone have said that for £3 per day, I am able to use my allowance minutes, texts & data, without the worry of any nasty surprises in my next bill.

I have decided to opt in on this offer as the thought of being charged almost 30p per minute to make a call to the UK, 7p per SMS, almost 50P per mb of data is horrifying. At least if I do decide to use my phone while I am on holiday, it will only cost me £3 for the day as soon as I use it each day, but at least I know that is all it will cost me as I cannot see myself going through 7gb data in 1 week. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roaming chargers are a bit of a bugger, but thankfully most networks offer some form of bundle if you are going abroad. I am due to go to Turkey at the end of the month & Vodafone have said that for £3 per day, I am able to use my allowance minutes, texts & data, without the worry of any nasty surprises in my next bill.

Be careful with Turkey, it's not EU, (as well as Norway, Switzerland, the Channel Is and IOM) so check the small print !!

I wonder now whether these flat rate EU packages will stall, and gradually vanish again. The two or three quid a day allowance is quite good. I have similar with EE,
    where I pay 5 quid/mth extra, and that gives me unlimited calls in EU/EEA when there, but I travel to Europe enough times to make that worth while.
    but at least I know that is all it will cost me as I cannot see myself going through 7gb data in 1 week. :D

There's some that would, some people do seem to have a strange idea what a holiday entails !
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    Glad I have Three then.

Me too :-)

Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Me too :-)

[Three's Feel at Home]

I wouldn't feel too smug about it, it may partly exist in anticipation of the EU roaming charge abolition, and therefore vanish, and secondly it might vanish once the 02 merger is complete
  • Options
    rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well at least Three's feel at home offer still benefits people who don't primarily use 3 and still want a better roaming deal with pay as you go :)