Mr Selfridge

Comments

• Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    I wonder if she will be around in the next series or Harry will be a widdower.

Depends what actual year it is now and what year they will rejoin it next time.

But if they are not going to stick to real life, then anything can happen whenever they say it will.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel really sorry for Victor.
  • sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    I appreciate that the drama was "based" on the Selfridge family, but I don't like the fact that Rose's demise was changed drastically from what happened in real life: she died of Spanish 'flu in 1918.

They never said what Rose lung condition was. It could be that as a result of the condition she would be unable to fight off any future infection. No specific years were mentioned in the series, it could be that the war has been going on for a few years and we are in Thanksgiving 1917. Which would tie in with the Spanish Flu epidimic which started in Jan 1918. Rose died from Pneumonia during the Spanish flu outbreak in may 1918. So the story is not too much a departure from real life.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think someone mentioned that the next series will move on 5 years again, so the war will be over and Rose will be gone - either from her current illness or influenza.
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what actual year it is now and what year they will rejoin it next time.

But if they are not going to stick to real life, then anything can happen whenever they say it will.

True.
    Reported in the local paper, after Rose died in 1918:
    “The pretty village of Highcliffe and its vicinity has, in the death on Sunday of Mrs H Gordon Selfridge, lost a valued friend, whose kindness of thought for others, and abounding charity, will be much missed.”

The paper highlighted her work establishing the home for American soldiers. “This was erected on the recreation ground, and there, for many weeks past, our gallant Allies have found a home, reaping the full benefit also of the invigorating sea breezes which make the site ideal for such a purpose.”

I feel really sorry for Victor.

So did I; and I was surprised, too, at Agnes.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They never said what Rose lung condition was. It could be that as a result of the condition she would be unable to fight off any future infection. No specific years were mentioned in the series, it could be that the war has been going on for a few years and we are in Thanksgiving 1917. Which would tie in with the Spanish Flu epidimic which started in Jan 1918. Rose died from Pneumonia during the Spanish flu outbreak in may 1918. So the story is not too much a departure from real life.

During the war their daughters nursed in Christchurch Hospital and Rose, too, nursed American soldiers, some in the Mrs Gordon Selfridge Convalescent Soldiers’ Camp; they were not in fact in London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new series is supposed to pick up in 1919. The series probably mentioned the 'lung condition' as to give Rose an on screen end to the character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    During the war their daughters nursed in Christchurch Hospital and Rose, too, nursed American soldiers, some in the Mrs Gordon Selfridge Convalescent Soldiers’ Camp; they were not in fact in London.

Artistic Licence :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like Agnes Victor and co never working for Mr Selfridge, and Harr y Nevers having a fling with someone called Lady Mae. It would have been more far fetched and a departure if they had kept Rose in the next series ;)
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Wonderful last episode with all the story lines resolved.

Although I agree with the comments about Rose. Why not start series 3 with the war ending and the men returning in episode 1 and then Rose catches the flu in episode 2. Looks like she will due off screen which would be a shame.

Can't wait for series 3 and to see who returns. Hopefully Lady Mae will be around to provide Harry will a shoulder to cry on!:D:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frances O'Connor is currently filming Missing for BBC so may have been unavailable for series three of Mr Selfidge
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artistic Licence :)

.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Selfridge
    Rose did not greatly enjoy her life in London. She missed her home and family in Chicago and returned there to see her sister Anna three or four times a year. Her daughters Rosalie, Violette and Beatrice attended Miss Douglas's School in Queen's Gate and learned to dance and speak French. Their son Gordon was sent away to prep school. Later, young Rosalie went to Finch College in New York.

In 1916 during World War I, Harry rented Highcliffe Castle as his country estate. He immediately made major improvements to the house. Rose and her two eldest daughters joined the Red Cross and for some time worked at nearby Christchurch Hospital. After the U.S. joined the war, Rose opened a convalescent hospital for American soldiers.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Frances O'Connor is currently filming Missing for BBC so may have been unavailable for series three of Mr Selfidge

She would have been killed off early so could have filmed her scenes in no time at all. Terrible to kill her off screen. IMHO.
  • sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rose died in 1918 and new series takes up in 1919...
  • sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be that her lung condition will leave her more open to catching the Spanish flu ?
  • Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good series spoilt by some gimmicky camerawork - such as putting characters who are not speaking into soft focus. A very irritating practice which is ruining many dramas.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was a great three hanky finale to a great second series. The first series was inconsistent to say the least - strong characters with not much action and this second series really upped its game, so well done to all of them.

I read the book this is based on and most of Mr Selfridge is fiction. In realty the key figure in his life was his mother lived with him all his life to her death in the 1920s and Rose just had to put up with her, and the family stayed in England throughout the Great War.

I felt a lot of tonight's last episode was based on putting most characters in a position where their agent couldn't hold the show to ransom LOL. But great resolutions and new cliffhangers and lots to look forward to next year!
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    I read the book this is based on and most of Mr Selfridge is fiction. In realty the key figure in his life was his mother lived with him all his life to her death in the 1920s and Rose just had to put up with her, and the family stayed in England throughout the Great War.

I'm not sure whether Kika Markham is Rose's or Harry's mother tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure whether Kika Markham is Rose's or Harry's mother tbh.

Lois Selfridge, Harry's mother.
  • Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predict that Henri will be killed in the war, by which time Victor will have met & married someone else, & Agnes will be all alone.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict that Henri will be killed in the war, by which time Victor will have met & married someone else, & Agnes will be all alone.

NOOOOO! >:( I love Agnes with Henri as much as I felt really sorry for Victor last night I will be really annoyed if they killed Henri in the war. My god I waited all this series to see would they get back together.:( I was so happy that they did last night. I just hope they get someone nice for Victor and that he won't be mopping over the loss of Agnes.;-)
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOOOOO! >:( I love Agnes with Henri as much as I felt really sorry for Victor last night I will be really annoyed if they killed Henri in the war. My god I waited all this series to see would they get back together.:( I was so happy that they did last night. I just hope they get someone nice for Victor and that he won't be mopping over the loss of Agnes.;-)

I was a bit weepy a few times last night , mainly over Victor , Florian and Rose telling Harry she was dying and the thanksgiving dinner . a lovely episode , cannot wait for the next one .
  • LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    That was quite popular at the time.
    So it's either that or lung cancer.

Strange that they didn't name it.

They used to called T B consumption years ago, not sure if they had a name for cancer at that time, I guess they were calling it cancer then.
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed S2 and can’t wait for S3 to start.

I'm so happy Lord Loxley he got his comeuppance, after the build up this series it was a long time coming and well deserved. He's been a great villain this year. Then they had Rose breaking the news to Harry and then the thanksgiving scene, which made me feel a bit weepy. This episode was a real emotional rollercoaster.

I was a bit annoyed that Henri ended up with Agnes. He hit it and then quit it last year to go off with another woman, was in love with someone else this year, and was generally horrible to Agnes who went out of her way to help him. I had rooted for this pair last year, but now I think Victor is a way better man.

My predictions for next series:
    - Rose will have died and Harry will be dealing with his grief by drinking and generally ignoring his store leaving Mr Crabb and Groves dealing with the fallout
    - Lady Mae will be living a less luxurious lifestyle, but scheming to get back on top of society
    - Gordon will start / be in a forbidden relationship with the welsh shop girl (sorry, forgotten her name)
    - George will be suffering from PTSD
    - Henri will be MIA but turn up alive for a happy ending with Agnes
    - Victor will be running his restaurant and won’t appear, and Kitty and Miss Mardle will also have left the show with their characters married to Mr Edwards and Florian.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    katkim wrote: »
    I really enjoyed S2 and can’t wait for S3 to start.

I'm so happy Lord Loxley he got his comeuppance, after the build up this series it was a long time coming and well deserved. He's been a great villain this year. Then they had Rose breaking the news to Harry and then the thanksgiving scene, which made me feel a bit weepy. This episode was a real emotional rollercoaster.

I was a bit annoyed that Henri ended up with Agnes. He hit it and then quit it last year to go off with another woman, was in love with someone else this year, and was generally horrible to Agnes who went out of her way to help him. I had rooted for this pair last year, but now I think Victor is a way better man.

My predictions for next series:
    - Rose will have died and Harry will be dealing with his grief by drinking and generally ignoring his store leaving Mr Crabb and Groves dealing with the fallout
    - Lady Mae will be living a less luxurious lifestyle, but scheming to get back on top of society
    - Gordon will start / be in a forbidden relationship with the welsh shop girl (sorry, forgotten her name)
    - George will be suffering from PTSD
    - Henri will be MIA but turn up alive for a happy ending with Agnes
    - Victor will be running his restaurant and won’t appear, and Kitty and Miss Mardle will also have left the show with their characters married to Mr Edwards and Florian.

That was exactly what I was thinking last night after Henri and Agnes got together. I can understand why you felt he was a complete jerk to her and Victor was a much better man. I remember in the first series thinking that I was not to keen on Victor but this series made me think differently. ;-)