Newcastle Upon-Tyne in a independent Scotland?

Comments

• fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Maybe we should just rename anywhere from the West Midlands upwards Scotland. :p

I am game for this, when will it be made official?
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye **** it. Let's have another war. Everyone else seems to be at it these days :D
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Some of the replies here suggest that most are ignorant but the border used to be south of Newcastle before they were taken by the English many people in the region consider there-selves to be Scottish.

Cheryl Cole's accent is a prime example of why Newcastle is rightfully Scottish.

I am not just randomly suggesting we extend Scotland I am on about restoring what for many a time was Scottish. Berwick Upon Tweed are game.

They take Scottish notes too.

I think that by putting there-selves instead of themselves, you've blown your chance of an intelligent debate, whether you were kidding or not.
    I don't think that the Geordie skank's accent is anything like a Scottish one, but take her anyway, or take her anywhere.
    I take Scottish notes too, as long as I can spend, or bank them, I'll take them.
    I know that if you visit the Bank of England's website it says that Scottish, Northern Irish, and Isle of Man notes are NOT legal tender, but I am not aware of a British bank that doesn't take them.
    However, I did see a jock having murders in a bank in Malaga once, trying to change Scottish currency, they wouldn't have it, and he was about to give up, when I said, "Give me £100 Scottish, I'll give you £100 English."
    He virtually kissed my feet.
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Whitehaven's nowhere near Northumberland.

I think you'll find that fleabee was talking about Cumbria.
    I went to Whitehaven once, not the best of places, but I've
    seen worse, Tilbury and Basildon for example.
    Forum Member
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I think that by putting there-selves instead of themselves, you've blown your chance of an intelligent debate, whether you were kidding or not.
    I don't think that the Geordie skank's accent is anything like a Scottish one, but take her anyway, or take her anywhere.
    I take Scottish notes too, as long as I can spend, or bank them, I'll take them.
    I know that if you visit the Bank of England's website it says that Scottish, Northern Irish, and Isle of Man notes are NOT legal tender, but I am not aware of a British bank that doesn't take them.
    However, I did see a jock having murders in a bank in Malaga once, trying to change Scottish currency, they wouldn't have it, and he was about to give up, when I said, "Give me £100 Scottish, I'll give you £100 English."
    He virtually kissed my feet.

Your clearly in it minority then since most places will say something along the lines of "we don't accept toy money" and that was in London so it will probably be tighter elsewhere.

Also I did right themselves but google suggested that I change it to there-selves so I think I am using the correct grammar.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    There won't be an independant Scotland so it's a fairly pointless post.

The thought of Salmond and Sturgeon taking over this country is frightening.

So you say in every thread.

I presume the thought of Miliband taking over this country delights you?
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your clearly in it minority then since most places will say something along the lines of "we don't accept toy money" and that was in London so it will probably be tighter elsewhere.

Also I did right themselves but google suggested that I change it to there-selves so I think I am using the correct grammar.

Paying in books for the banks have, and always have had, a section under the other notes for Scottish and Irish notes. Problem solved. Anyone not taking them is being a bloody jobsworth.... Still a daft thread though.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

http://www.acbi.org.uk/legal_position.php
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I think you'll find that fleabee was talking about Cumbria.
    I went to Whitehaven once, not the best of places, but I've
    seen worse, Tilbury and Basildon for example.

Ooh, so they were.
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Paying in books for the banks have, and always have had, a section under the other notes for Scottish and Irish notes. Problem solved. Anyone not taking them is being a bloody jobsworth.... Still a daft thread though.

He took coins instead as he flat out said no, he thought we were paying with a Monopoly £5.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Intrigued by this, I typed "they consider themselves to be", and this is what appeared on the screen, although I'm not doubting your saying that Google suggested that you change it.
    I've often accepted Scottish notes, but I don't take the £50's, and I definitely wouldn't take the £100 that they have up there.
    The only time that I ever had trouble was when I put £45 of diesel in my wife's car, and gave the Asian cashier two English £10's one English £20 and a Clydesdale Bank £5.
    He said that he wouldn't accept the Clydesdale note, I said well you can suck £5 worth of diesel back out of the tank, or call the police.
    He ummed and ahhed, but eventually gave in.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    FFS OP, it's not Friday yet.

Anyway, are you sure this is what you want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF5xVnTo8gs
  • Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London is the capital of England and in the south, so in a jokey way, Newcastle's the capital of the North.

If there was a capital in the north then it would be Manchester I think. Not Newcastle.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    If there was a capital in the north then it would be Manchester I think. Not Newcastle.

Manchester's down south :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You keep telling yourself that.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Manchester's down south :p

Certainly is :D Anywhere south of Durham is down south from where I am.
  • mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rename GB to Scotland

that'll mind f*ck 'em
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you take Hull with you too please?

i live in hull and id rather be scotish, with its free education, then english....
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    i live in hull and id rather be scotish, with its free education, then english....

As that post obviously proves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think naming Yorkshire for this is taking things too far. Yorkshire's accent is nothing like the North East's and Scotland's.

a few points to raise:

1) Yorkshire doesnt exist - i grew up in North Yorkshire and we have about as much in common with someone from West Yorkshire as i have in common with someone from Cornwall.

2) I am from an area of North Yorkshire bordered by County Durham & Teesside - i have far more in common accent wise with those counties than say York. Theres a 3 mile rule of accent around here: is it an alley, snicket or a ginnel? depends which village you live in!

3) The area im from classes itself as part of the North East, we receive our TV programmes from Tyne Tees (not Yorkshire) and our local radio stations are North East ones.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Newcastle remain in England in the event of an independent Scotland or will it be returned to it's rightful home as part of Scotland?

Free the Newcastle 300,000 NOW !!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to press for the reunification of Yorkshire, Leicestershire and East Anglia with Denmark - the borders of 878. Unfortunately this means that the Scots will have to concede Edinburgh to the new English kingdom of Northumbria (capital Durham)
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member

Why the hell would google suggest 'there-selves' for 'themselves'?! 'There-selves' means nothing at all. If you'd said 'their-selves' I'd possibly have believed you. As it stands, imo, you've been caught out and are trying to blame something else instead of holding your hands up to using 'there' instead of 'their'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    So you say in every thread.

I presume the thought of Miliband taking over this country delights you?

I do because that will be the outcome.

I've never voted Labour in my life and can't stand the smug faced Miliband.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geordiesi wrote: »
    a few points to raise:

1) Yorkshire doesnt exist - i grew up in North Yorkshire and we have about as much in common with someone from West Yorkshire as i have in common with someone from Cornwall.

2) I am from an area of North Yorkshire bordered by County Durham & Teesside - i have far more in common accent wise with those counties than say York. Theres a 3 mile rule of accent around here: is it an alley, snicket or a ginnel? depends which village you live in!

3) The area im from classes itself as part of the North East, we receive our TV programmes from Tyne Tees (not Yorkshire) and our local radio stations are North East ones.

It's not the North East though. Below is a map of the North East. You might be able to receive TV and radio broadcasts from here, but the boundary stops where it does on the map below.

http://live-and-work.northeastengland.co.uk/media-library/large_regional_map.gif