Options

Newcastle Upon-Tyne in a independent Scotland?

Comments

• Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    As that post obviously proves.

Bang on the money there jra, nice one.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    It's not the North East though. Below is a map of the North East. You might be able to receive TV and radio broadcasts from here, but the boundary stops where it does on the map below.

http://live-and-work.northeastengland.co.uk/media-library/large_regional_map.gif

I meant there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    As Newcastle is in England, I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say it'll still be in England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Newcastle is in England, I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say it'll still be in England.

The first poster was talking about if Scotland takes Newcastle to join it. I don't see the point in taking just Newcastle though. They might as well take the whole of the North East if this were to happen.
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No thankyou. I've nothing against the Scottish, but I've lived in Newcastle for most of my life and we're about as Scottish as a...I dunno...croissant! (Not that I'm suggesting we're French either just before people start on that!) :D
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first poster was talking about if Scotland takes Newcastle to join it. I don't see the point in taking just Newcastle though. They might as well take the whole of the North East if this were to happen.

While they are at it they could always extend further south and to the west. Just take up the whole country. They could give it a name of, I don't know, something like The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. And then set up parliament in London just so that all the power isn't held in Scotland. :)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    munta wrote: »
    While they are at it they could always extend further south and to the west. Just take up the whole country. They could give it a name of, I don't know, something like The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. And then set up parliament in London just so that all the power isn't held in Scotland. :)

Like that will ever happen. If the Scots want Devon to be part of 'their kingdom', they'll have to fight for it. Just make sure the Scots try it in the summer, when a Devonian can use a grockle as a human shield. I think I've finally found a use for a grockle, rather than the ignorant waste of space most of them are.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Why the hell would google suggest 'there-selves' for 'themselves'?! 'There-selves' means nothing at all. If you'd said 'their-selves' I'd possibly have believed you. As it stands, imo, you've been caught out and are trying to blame something else instead of holding your hands up to using 'there' instead of 'their'.

OK, grammar police.

M4 SC5OOL H4S F41L4D M3
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Berwick Upon-Tweed play in the Scottish league this is a prime example of how the North East and Yorkshire would like to be Scottish.

Just let me get this straight, you're assuming that the whole of the North of England east of the Pennines, even as far south as Sheffield, want to be Scottish on the basis that a town right on the border plays in the Scottish pyramid?

Brilliant, can't argue with logic like that.

Personally I feel no more Scottish than I do Chinese.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Just let me get this straight, you're assuming that the whole of the North of England east of the Pennines, even as far south as Sheffield, want to be Scottish on the basis that a town right on the border plays in the Scottish pyramid?

Brilliant, can't argue with logic like that.

Personally I feel no more Scottish than I do Chinese.
    I'm assuming your real name isn't Hamish Chang then :D
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    I'm assuming your real name isn't Hamish Chang then :D

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the North East though. Below is a map of the North East. You might be able to receive TV and radio broadcasts from here, but the boundary stops where it does on the map below.

http://live-and-work.northeastengland.co.uk/media-library/large_regional_map.gif

you realise the nice purple line in the south is the border of North Yorks and County Durham?

if someone lives one foot below that line your saying they have nothing in common with a person or area one foot the other side of the line and should associate themselves with an area miles away??

Your profile says Consett but as your inside the area on the map you speak/act/think like someone from Boro? i doubt that?

Edit: just to mention somethign else that came to mind: for several hundred years the nearest town to where im from was under the protection & decision making of the Bishop of Durham, not the Bishop of York as most of the rest of the area was. (thats good enough for me ;-) )
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    OK, grammar police.

M4 SC5OOL H4S F41L4D M3

Sod all to do with grammer and all to do with your silly assertion that google gave you 'there-selves' as an alternative for 'themselves'.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Moonbean wrote: »
    No thankyou. I've nothing against the Scottish, but I've lived in Newcastle for most of my life and we're about as Scottish as a...I dunno...croissant! (Not that I'm suggesting we're French either just before people start on that!) :D

Newcastle is like an Aberdeen Buttery? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geordiesi wrote: »
    you realise the nice purple line in the south is the border of North Yorks and County Durham?

if someone lives one foot below that line your saying they have nothing in common with a person or area one foot the other side of the line and should associate themselves with an area miles away??

Your profile says Consett but as your inside the area on the map you speak/act/think like someone from Boro? i doubt that?

Edit: just to mention somethign else that came to mind: for several hundred years the nearest town to where im from was under the protection & decision making of the Bishop of Durham, not the Bishop of York as most of the rest of the area was. (thats good enough for me ;-) )

And below that border is Yorkshire. Above that border is the North East of England. You're completely and utterly wrong about Middlesbrough, I was born in the consett area. I was going by the boundary on the map. Yorkshire's still not in the North East no matter what you say.

Edit: I didn't say the people of North Yorkshire didn't have anything in common with the people in the North East, just that they weren't part of the North East. The accent of the people in the North East, in my opinion, is similar to the Scottish people's accent. This doesn't mean that the North East is part of Scotland though. As for the bit next to the smilie, that's fine. It still doesn't mean that that area is part of the North East though.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'd say the people from Billingham, Middlesbrough and Redcar sound more North Yorkshire than Scottish.

And I don't think people from Sunderland or Newcastle sound remotely Scottish.

Maybe more Northern people do start to sound similar but the main cities of the North East do not imo.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CakeLover wrote: »
    Is the OP perhaps taking his borders back a couple of thousand years to the time of the Emperor Hadrian? :p

or the Emperor Antonine;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonine_Wall
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we go back to the Jacobite days, Bonnie Prince Charlie's troops reached Derby and declared all territory north of there as part of Scotland. If we accept this then there is a real opportunity for the Northern Counties of England to be part of the great Scottish future. Please form an orderly queue for your Scottish Passports. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'd say the people from Billingham, Middlesbrough and Redcar sound more North Yorkshire than Scottish.

Maybe more Northern people do start to sound similar but the main cities of the North East do not imo.

Well they are similar as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Newcastle remain in England in the event of an independent Scotland or will it be returned to it's rightful home as part of Scotland?

Rightful home , since when, or are you basing that on the fact that it was in Scottish hands from 1139 to 1157 for 18 years ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sod all to do with grammer and all to do with your silly assertion that google gave you 'there-selves' as an alternative for 'themselves'.

You still going on about that? ^_^
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    You still going on about that? ^_^

Just responding to your post calling me a grammar nazi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Different parts of Scotland have different accents so I don't get how somewhere which currently is not part of Scotland could sound not Scottish. If it's in England then it is English accent if it's in Scotland then it is a Scottish accent.
  • Options
    NE5NE5 Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will Newcastle remain in England in the event of an independent Scotland or will it be returned to it's rightful home as part of Scotland?

silly boy.
  • Options
    NE5NE5 Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Different parts of Scotland have different accents so I don't get how somewhere which currently is not part of Scotland could sound not Scottish. If it's in England then it is English accent if it's in Scotland then it is a Scottish accent.

if you vote for you independence, and all the Jock exiles go home, [and leave their English money to me], there are more living in London than Newcastle.