NFL - UK Broadcasting Thread

Comments

• arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am looking forward to watching the nbc stuff - don't usually get to watch it as their games are on far too late during the regular season!
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    I watched the opening 15 minutes of the NBC pre game show and it was pretty tedious - they are stringing it out for 5 and a half hours until kick off so its just endless padding and adverts. I'll probably tune in about 10.30pm to watch the last minute build up.

Slightly geeky but I wonder what NBC's superbowl intro will be. 3 year's ago they just did a special version of their usual annoying Sunday Night Football intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5oIkGzzOwU

Last year Fox did this short and sweet version of their transformer stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSXd7O5bjpo

And the year before CBS delivered something pretty impressive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQGB2iy6pDc

Carrie Underwood now sings to SNF on NBS so will sing tonight's Super Bowl XLIX intro, CBS will be the US broadcast to Super Bowl 50, as Super Bowl 50 is not using the usual Roman Numerals which would be Super Bowl L.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Before the Super Bowl starts, does anyone know if the AFL is being shown in the UK? Not looking forward to the football drought.
  • ukdude7ukdude7 Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Lol, ok who had the first mention of Wembley at 2 minutes in the over/under on Sky Sports? Some irrelevant reference during the intro by Cadle.
  • mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Before the Super Bowl starts, does anyone know if the AFL is being shown in the UK? Not looking forward to the football drought.

BT Sport / ESPN have it.
  • mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arunan22 wrote: »
    As in, I assume it will be the normal NBC commentary on both Sky sports 1 and 3 - the same thing on both channels. The only difference in the game coverage will be the pre/post match studio stuff - but I doubt sky are showing the NBC studio stuff today?

If Sky had the rights to NBC's build up they would have been showing it all evening, as they did last year with Fox's coverage, instead of taking it from the NFL Network.

And Sky have never taken much interest in extensive post-game coverage. With the game ending around 3am on a workday the live audience that would keep watching would be too small to justify it. They have not even scheduled a return to the NFL Network's programming for that, but just some Football Life episodes as filler.

A few minutes around the half time show and trophy presentation, which would amount to the difference whilst Sky's own studio coverage is on air, would not justify the cost of rights and a producer.
  • brian017brian017 Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    By AFL you mean what?

Arena = Eurosport I think
    Australian = BT/ESPN
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    So Sky Sports 1 and 3 are simulcasting the same thing... WHY?
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That seems weird. They did something similar with the Scotland v England game last year
  • Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    HD quality on Channel 4 is questionable...
  • arunan22arunan22 Posts: 1,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Random q - do we in the UK, have the most comprehensive NFL TV coverage outside of the U.S. and Canada? (Excluding nfl network countries)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For the same reason as the darts final and some European soccer matches. Because not everyone can receive SS3 or SS5. So why needlessly require people to change channels or deny others the chance to watch just to show low rated filler programming.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cecile Martin.

Why? Just why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why not? It isn't as though there is a boatload of live sport options they could otherwise show. What is on SS2, 4 and 5 presently?
    Forum Member
    mavreela wrote: »
    For the same reason as the darts final and some European soccer matches. Because not everyone can receive SS3 or SS5. So why needlessly require people to change channels or deny others the chance to watch just to show low rated filler programming.

Surely anyone who has a Sky Sports sub via other methods (BT Vision, Talk Talk etc) would be watching via SS1. Sky and Virgin have SS1 and SS3 and the you get both of these anyway, so why not just have this on SS1?

Darts was different as SS3 was renamed SS Darts so had everything on there but was not available on BT Vision/Talk Talk etc so made the final available on SS1 as well.
    Forum Member
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Why not? It isn't as though there is a boatload of live sport options they could otherwise show. What is on SS2, 4 and 5 presently?

So by your analogy they should show the SuperBowl on SS1, 2, 3, 4 and 5? Why not F1 and maybe Sky Arts 1 and 2 while we're at it?

What I'm saying is SS1 is universally available on all Pay Platforms. SS3 isn't so this game should only be on SS1. Cost-cutting by $ky...

And to be fair, Channel 4 are taking NBC too so it makes you wonder how many viewers are watching SS1/3?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darts was different as SS3 was renamed SS Darts so had everything on there but was not available on BT Vision/Talk Talk etc so made the final available on SS1 as well.

And SS3 has been effectively Sky Sports Super Bowl showing only NFL programming from 6am Monday morning. Their continuous live Super Bowl coverage began at midday this afternoon, whilst SS1 obviously had Super Sunday to show this afternoon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So by your analogy they should show the SuperBowl on SS1, 2, 3, 4 and 5? Why not F1 and maybe Sky Arts 1 and 2 while we're at it?

Not quite sure how you leaped to that somewhat absurd conclusion from my comment. I merely asked the rhetorical question as to what was being shown to highlight the fact there is unlikely to be anything significant to show instead, so why is the decision to simulcast even an issue to anyone. I would understand the concern if a key event was being missed to accomodate the same event being shown twice, but clearly not the case here.
    $ky

I wish the rolleyes icon still existed, I hate this. Sky are a business, not a charity. Why shouldn't they seek to maximise profits?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And to be fair, Channel 4 are taking NBC too so it makes you wonder how many viewers are watching SS1/3?

Since 2009 the BBC and Channel 4 have used the US host broadcaster for game coverage the same as Sky. Despite that and the late start the Super Bowl is Sky Sports' highest rated NFL game of a season.
    Forum Member
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    I wish the rolleyes icon still existed, I hate this. Sky are a business, not a charity. Why shouldn't they seek to maximise profits?

I have to admit, I deliberately did that to antagonise. As I know it annoys the fanboys.

Well, as it's been explained now that NFL took over SS3 it makes sense now to show the game and allow other non-Sky viewers to see it in SS1. Shame no-one mentioned that before (as I'm not an American Football but and just observed a waste in duplication)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just for the record, I am no Sky fanboy, I have no vested interest one way or another aside from being a paying customer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    What are you guys watching Sky or C4?
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    "Sky Sports 3 will be taking the NBC presentation minus the adverts"

So what is the point of that then? It's only reason I'm watching!
    been some good adverts so far.

Watching NBC on a live stream (WITH adverts)
  • AMCHRISPNORTH80AMCHRISPNORTH80 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Katy Perry made me horny!
    I'm watching Channel 4, Sky Sports 1+3 as well as listening to BBC Radio 5!
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,174
    Forum Member
    Great game to finish the season! :)