Options

EE: Will Patrick remain ill forever

Tiernan_MccarthTiernan_Mccarth Posts: 218
Forum Member
Just wanted to know whether or not EE are intending on having Patrick to remain a stroue victim on the show for good or whther the story is going to be wrapped up. Must be annoying for Rudolph to have to keep slurring each line

Comments

• Options
    yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,532
    Forum Member
    I think it's good that they are showing the long term effect of strokes. It's also giving Rudolph Walker the chance to act and get his teeth I to something finally.

I can't help but feel your OP is a little Ignorant and naive regarding strokes and just how much damage/ an affect they can have on peoples lives
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to know whether or not EE are intending on having Patrick to remain a stroue victim on the show for good or whther the story is going to be wrapped up. Must be annoying for Rudolph to have to keep slurring each line

I think they've handled it beautifully, and with realism.

Rudolph is an actor that has been on the show for nearly fifteen years now. I know if I was him, I'd relish the chance of doing something like this that's totally away from his usual character.

I hope the character does make a full recovery because I care about Patrick, but in real life people aren't that lucky. However, his speech has improved in recent months which is a really good sign.

I'd love EE to tackle Alzheimers for a long running character. It happens to the elderly so often and for someone like, say, Pam or Dot, it'd be a brilliant storyline.
  • Options
    MissMonkeyMooMissMonkeyMoo Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's great that they haven't rushed his recovery (if a character in HO had a stroke they'd be back to normal within a month). They are showing just how devastating a stroke can be and how it can take a long time to recover. I'm sure John Bardon was the inspiration for this story, and Rudolph Walker is just brilliant in his portrayal of how Patrick is affected. Long term, I hope he makes a full recovery because that is what you would hope for anyone - to see then back to normal again.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I think it's extremely commendable of the show to commit long-term to portraying the potential effects of a stroke. I think it's possibly the most overlooked (by me included) strong positives of DTC's era. And hats off to Rudolph Walker for giving such credible performances on a regular basis!

To be honest I'd say his and Denise's dynamic has probably given EE the most consistent 'kitchen sink' element over the last year.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

I don't know but if they do, good on them.

Strokes are horrible things that do take years to recover from, some people never fully do. It is good that they should reflect this.
  • Options
    Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rudolph was great tonight love him as Patrick.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    There have been slight improvements over time in his speech and walking, which is realistic. There's no knowing whether they intend to have him completely recover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    There have been slight improvements over time in his speech and walking, which is realistic. There's no knowing whether they intend to have him completely recover.

Exactly.

He has actually recovered much better than many other stroke victims - he does have some quality of life in that he can interact with his friends and loved ones and get out with help. I bet many would give their eye teeth to be doing as well (or have the parent they are caring for doing so well) after 8 months.

As with any important 'real' issue (rape, cancer, bereavement, depression to name another few) it is a fine line to tread.

They don't want to paint an incredibly negative picture as that runs the risk of causing real life sufferers or victims to lose hope of any light at the end of the tunnel and just give up their fight. However, having a cure all, HEA within weeks runs the risk of really insulting and offending anybody going through it in real life, plus giving some people an unrealistic expectation as to how long things take. Kind of 'why isn't such and such better after 6 months, they must be mllking it if they're not.

So, i think the way they are handling it, showing slow but steady improvement but it still being very life altering, draining and depressing for him and his Carers is the most realistic and sensitive way to do it.

Rudolf is playing a blinder.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Exactly.

He has actually recovered much better than many other stroke victims - he does have some quality of life in that he can interact with his friends and loved ones and get out with help. I bet many would give their eye teeth to be doing as well (or have the parent they are caring for doing so well) after 8 months.

As with any important 'real' issue (rape, cancer, bereavement, depression to name another few) it is a fine line to tread.

They don't want to paint an incredibly negative picture as that runs the risk of causing real life sufferers or victims to lose hope of any light at the end of the tunnel and just give up their fight. However, having a cure all, HEA within weeks runs the risk of really insulting and offending anybody going through it in real life, plus giving some people an unrealistic expectation as to how long things take. Kind of 'why isn't such and such better after 6 months, they must be mllking it if they're not.

So, i think the way they are handling it, showing slow but steady improvement but it still being very life altering, draining and depressing for him and his Carers is the most realistic and sensitive way to do it.

Rudolf is playing a blinder.

BIB Isn't he just. I've been very impressed with both his acting and the way it's been written. For many stroke victims this is as good as it gets, but those little triumphs of being able to communicate, feed themselves and move about without a wheelchair mean so much.
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This steady recovery has played out very well on screen.

His scene with Denise and Kim as Pearl was getting christened was incredibly moving. He may as well be like her grandfather, such is his bond with the Fox sisters.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    It must be exhausting playing a stroke victim the way Rudolph has. I think he's a brilliant actor and is doing a sterling job.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rudolph has been brilliant as Patrick and I really liked the scene with Denise & Kim and the scene with Stan.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EE writers came up with the same thing for Jim a few years ago. He had a stroke, then had to be taken away to a hospice, to try and gradually get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YcFgjLO8_U

Nowadays, Jim hardly gets a mention. I know the actor has died, but the last I knew, Jim was still alive. With Dot now in prison for causing Nick's death, they have to say something.

Maybe Charlie will get a letter through the post saying that Jim has died, or something. The producers need to get Jim mentioned soon. He will start to wonder why Dot isn't visiting him at the moment.

Anyway, so disappointed that Stan is leaving soon. :( Love Timothy West in so many things that he's done over the years, including Tales of the Unexpected and Goodnight Sweetheart, to name but a few. I've warmed to his character a lot. I'm used to him being in EE.

Apparently Timothy West filmed his last scene only a few days ago, so it will only be a month or so before we see Stan's passing. Kellie Bright has already filmed her bits for Stan's Funeral episode.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/79/590x/secondary/Linda-Carter-return-to-EastEnders-236756.jpg

Linda's bump looks a bit bigger that it is on TV at the moment. She'd be about six months gone by the time Stan's funeral happens.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Eventually he will die.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    No. Eventually he will die.

How can you say that? :o What an absurd thing to say!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    @Tiggerpooh.

Jim was completely different simply because the actor actually had a stroke. From memory they had storyline loads of stuff about Jim's paternal relationship with Max and Jack, how max had been neglected, and almost abused due to 'frarternising' with black children and talking his Mum's side before being banished when he divorced Rachel for Tanya whilst Jack was the 'golden' child despite being a bent copper.

But Bardon had a stroke and whilst they tried to keep him in it proved impossible. They have actually done quite a good job of Dot trying to cope before feeling she had to put him in a home and mentions have been made of people as well as Dot visiting him. Derek was apparently good at this despite his many other faults.

They will write Jim out in good time, with an off screen death and on screen funeral, as befitting the respect the character and actor deserves. But it won't be rushed.

Patrick is different, they have given the storyline so a (as far as we know) physically strong and fit actor that can portray it for a couple of years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    How can you say that? :o What an absurd thing to say!

How is it absurd to say that now the actor has died, in time the character will too.

It is standard soap practise to do this when a long standing or elderly cast member dies. They kill the character off too so a funeral can happen on screen allowing both the character and actor to be honored. Happened with Mike Reid (Frank Butcher), on emmerdale it happEned with Richard Thorp (Alan), Clive Hornby (Jack), Stan Richards (Seth), in corrie it happened with Betty Driver (Betty Turpin), Magie Smith (Blanche Hunt). It will happen here too within a couple of years at most.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only times i can't remember an actor death not being marked by an off screen death and on screen funeral has been when it was a very young and tragic death where they have consulted the family and either given them an off screen happy ending (Sandy in Holby City) or recast after a few years (mark Fowler in Eastenders).
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it absurd to say that now the actor has died, in time the character will too.
    SULLA's post was referring to Patrick not Jim. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LHolmes wrote: »
    SULLA's post was referring to Patrick not Jim. :)

Really not sure that is clear since the post immediately above by Toggerpooh was about Jim.

Sulla, could you clarify who you were referring ti?
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    No I think they are showing him regaining his speech fairly quickly and at some point it will come back almost to the point to before he had the stroke but if they want to make it realistic, they should still show him suffering the effects of the stroke to a certain extent as they tend to hag around for a good number of years, sometimes permanently depending on how bad they are.

Having said that, my mum had a stroke in the late 90's and while she recovered to some extent in terms of movement, she never fully regained full movement and we've recently been told her neck arteries are badly blocked too. I wonder if thats what caused the stroke in the first place.
  • Options
    Ange_aAnge_a Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Has to be said his acting is absolutely fantastic. He's obviously taken the story very seriously and has worked hard. I personally think its a very accurate and honest account of how life changing strokes can be.
  • Options
    ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always loved the character of Patrick . He's usually more of a supporting character so I'm glad this storyline has shown what a great character Rudolph is. Hopefully Antony will reappear again so we can explore their relationship more.
  • Options
    MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to know whether or not EE are intending on having Patrick to remain a stroue victim on the show for good or whther the story is going to be wrapped up. [/B]Must be annoying for Rudolph to have to keep slurring each line[/B]

It must be really annoying for stroke victims too...

What a naive comment to make. The actor will play the role as he is directed...that's what acting is all about. Stroke victims don't make a full recovery over night (some, if not most, never make a full recovery at all).

If only real life could be "wrapped up" and made peachy...
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really not sure that is clear since the post immediately above by Toggerpooh was about Jim.

Sulla, could you clarify who you were referring ti?

Post 15 refers to Patrick.