Are non-whites considered English?

LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The producer of Midsomer Murders made a comment in the Radio Times which led to him being suspended but part of the interview that jumped out to me has been ignored...

"Well, we just don't have ethnic minorities involved," ,
"We're the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way."

Do you think a person from an ethnic minority can be classed as English? If not , then why not?

Comments

• CyanidePillCyanidePill Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    of course they can be.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doh what country does a black guy whose family have lived in England for 100 years belong to????
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why they can't be English, But that wasn't the point he was trying to put across
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    English is English ethnicity has nothing to do with it. You could be blue with pink polka dots if you were born and raised in England you're English.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fail.

As others have said, very obviously this is wrong.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not white, have lived here since I was a 1yr old, and don't think I'm English. When asked, I respond as being British.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why they can't be English, But that wasn't the point he was trying to put across

What was the point? I don't think he managed to convey it well.
  • DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadyCake wrote: »
    The producer of Midsomer Murders made a comment in the Radio Times which led to him being suspended but part of the interview that jumped out to me has been ignored...

Do you think a person from an ethnic minority can be classed as English? If not , then why not?

Of course non white can be English, but that isn't what he was saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    I'm not white, have lived here since I was a 1yr old, and don't think I'm English. When asked, I respond as being British.

But if you've lived in England for practially your whole life doesnt that also make you English?
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there;s something that i found somewhat amusing: there was an athletics event and in the 60m sprint final there was a black guy from the uk in it. the commentators said "and this athlete is the only european participating in this final" i just found it very strange that they refered to the afro-caribbean man as 'european' because he represented the uk. ethinicity wise of course he isnt european but nationally he is
  • estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How was that part of the interview ignored? He was suspended for making that comment
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    They are foreigners. My town considers anyone from another country or born outside the town as foreigners.

Locally villages also count anyone from outside the village as foreign so although you could 2-3 miles away, you are still a foreigner in their eyes.

You could be white,black,chinese or indian and still be labelled as "foreign".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    He didn't, but I understand what he was getting at. Englishness is different to British, and it's good to have the occasional show or series which represents England at its best (or worst as there are so many murders)!
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if you've lived in England for practially your whole life doesnt that also make you English?

If you were born in another country it does make you an immigrant.

The Australian Primeminister was born in Wales, to a Welsh family and lived there until she was 5 before the family emigrated to Australia.

For all intents and purposes, and legally, she's an Australian citizen - but if I was in her situation, I'd identify myself as Welsh..

I guess in the ambiguous cases it's entirely subjective and you could be either.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Having spent several years up in Scotland and the rest of my life in England I might well be seen as being English by others for the time I've been here. In certain discussions one gets the feeling this might be offensive (I know that sounds bad, but what can I say?) which is part of the reason I stick to saying I'm British. To me that identity isn't a crucial attribute when connecting with someone socially and I'd like to think it's the same for the other person.
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe he made his point in a clumsy fashion but I was reminded of being told "You can't be black and really English" followed by some Bernard Manning comment about stables:rolleyes:
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Fail.

As others have said, very obviously this is wrong.

What do you mean by Fail:confused:?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member

never watch midsomer murders,all that inane police shite bores me to tears

it is,however disquieting that no ethnic minorities are involved
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    If you were born in another country it does make you an immigrant.

The Australian Primeminister was born in Wales, to a Welsh family and lived there until she was 5 before the family emigrated to Australia.

For all intents and purposes, and legally, she's an Australian citizen - but if I was in her situation, I'd identify myself as Welsh..

I guess in the ambiguous cases it's entirely subjective and you could be either.

Being born conveys little but to spend 99.9% of your life living in one country surely labels you as such, whether you like it or not. I could be like Ian Paisley (acutally hes a bad example - gregory camobell is better) and claim I'm not Irish but in everyone elses eyes I would be, largely down to accent and knowing where I was brought up
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    l think the op 's question is stupid and not thought out properly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member

fairy snuff....if you weren't born in england then you're not english
  • LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm whiter than white and I'm NOT English,. How about that ?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    never watch midsomer murders,all that inane police shite bores me to tears

it is,however disquieting that no ethnic minorities are involved

You don't tend to see ethnics in the country. Locally there might be 2 or 3 in the villages but no where near as many in the towns and only in the last 5 years have they appeared. Before the local area was white. It is slowly getting more multicultural but people don't like it and they moan to the politicans like mad about the violent foreigners not speaking English and living in ghettos not mixing with the indigenous people.

The same can be said for the theatre or the cinema.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Funny thing is, I would have classified you as white!
    As an non-white immigrant to this country, I find this curious. I think there are people who don't think of non-whites as British, especially English. Having lived in both England and Scotland, the distinction of race doesn't seem to be as big of a deal up there as it does down here. I dunno, maybe it's because Scotland has such a strong national identity. Within the English regions, there seems to be a strong identities. Perhaps it's because England doesn't really have to punch above its weight within the UK.
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    If English is a nationality then yes, if an ethnicity then no.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His point was, From how i understood it, He said, the typical English sleepy village doesn't have any residents from ethnic minorities, But i think from the T.V. company's point of view they wanted to be seen as "P.C." and culturally diverse and asked him to include characters from ethnic minorities.