Do you still live in the town/city you were born?

1235»

Comments

• unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've moved all of 3 mile from my home town.
  • walesrobwalesrob Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Nope it was a shit hole where i was born.

Ditto, born in Newport and moved to somewhere far worse. Aberystwyth. :(
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was born in Christchurch, New Zealand, I'm a million miles from there now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope it was a shit hole where i was born.

I'm sure you're supposed to come out the other door.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. But i would do almost anything to get away from this place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I moved away first chance I had when I was 16, I've never been back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I'm still here. I moved away when I was 18 and lived there for three years, but that was only 172 miles away.

I had a son when I moved away and when I moved home he (obviously) came with me so my son no longer lives in the town he was born in. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    No, I was born in Edinburgh but have lived all over the place. I still love Edinburgh though.

I spent some of my formative years in Glasgow and know a LOT of Glaswegians who look at you like you're from Mars if you suggest living anywhere else. It's great if you like where you live but the attitude has always seemed a bit insular to me. Just my impression though.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you get laid for the first time there as well?
    No, I was away at a friend's party.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never lived in the town/city where I was born and neither did my children ever live in the city where they were born.

But where I live in Lancashire people don't tend to move away. If they do they nearly always come back to live here.
    I feel envious of them in a way. How lovely to have all your realtives in close proximity.
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do now, I moved away years ago to find work, Now i'm back in the City i love, Less than a mile from the house i was born in:)
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I'm now living on the site of the hospital where I was born 40 years ago! Quite unusual of today and I can't decide whether it's good thing or not. :D 40 years to travel about 50 metres!

When I did some family tree research, part of my family stayed in one village in Ireland for generations (not unusual either) so it must have been like 'Deliverance' country then.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm now living on the site of the hospital where I was born 40 years ago! Quite unusual of today and I can't decide whether it's good thing or not. :D 40 years to travel about 50 metres!

When I did some family tree research, part of my family stayed in one village in Ireland for generations (not unusual either) so it must have been like 'Deliverance' country then.

Terry I live in the parish where my grt grandad X 5 was parish clerk - in the 1750s.:D I am related to myself so many times that the family tree programs on Ancestry and Gense Reunited can't actually cope with it and I have to feed in the same people twice, at various points on my tree.

The council houses and the farms round here - we're probably all related going back to at least the 18thC, more often the 16thC. My neighbour is also the grand-daughter of a big old farming family, like I am. (Both council tenants). We look alike. I've seen her name on the first page of some parish registers - like mine is.

The people in our village who have no roots here whatsoever, all live in the private houses, newbuilds and the big houses.:D

I don't have a banjo or 5 thumbs or a third nipple, though.

I am an parvenu here though as my grt grandad X 6 only came here in 1700. Next village along, either direction, I can get back to 1580, no problem.:D
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    I think people who move TO London are more likely to move away when they get older. People who've grown up there tend to stay.... or so seems the evidence of the people Ive known...

Same here. My grandparents lived in what was then a slum in West London, moved out between the Wars a few miles into leafy suburbs where we were born and I still live.
    Now the leafy suburbs have gone seriously downhill and the former slum is 'delightful riverside apartment' land with nothing worth less than £1 million or so, including he house the family used to live in.
    I wouldn't live anywhere other than in very easy reach of London though. Parts of it are dreadful but it's still the best and most important place there is:)

MetalMan wrote: »
    Haha everyone hates being English and everything about England.:D

Nope, rubbish. I love England and being English. It doesn't mean I don't like every bit of it and could cheerfully see the back of quite a few of the current population, but don't blame the country for some of the people living in it.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Terry I live in the parish where my grt grandad X 5 was parish clerk - in the 1750s.:D I am related to myself so many times that the family tree programs on Ancestry and Gense Reunited can't actually cope with it and I have to feed in the same people twice, at various points on my tree.

The council houses and the farms round here - we're probably all related going back to at least the 18thC, more often the 16thC. My neighbour is also the grand-daughter of a big old farming family, like I am. (Both council tenants). We look alike. I've seen her name on the first page of some parish registers - like mine is.

The people in our village who have no roots here whatsoever, all live in the private houses, newbuilds and the big houses.:D

I am an parvenu here though as my grt grandad X 6 only came here in 1700. Next village along, either direction, I can get back to 1580, no problem.:D

That's really impressive. My father's family has lived within a 15 mile radius of villages and towns in West London (well they were villages and small towns then) since the mid 1700s. I have a copy of the marriage register in 1766 signed by my 4 times great grandparents and I also know the feeling of being related to nearly everyone, though, even though that's really me being paranoid (maybe). I do know a road in Bayswater though that was almost entirely populated by relatives of one great grandmother in 1871!
    It's weird, isn't it, seeing your name on records going back that far?
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »

Wow! That's fascinating. Can you see resemblances to you in people you see? I don't want to be too presumptuous, but do you live in Norfolk or Suffolk? Just wondering as the railway infrastructure didn't cover as much of the East Coast in the 19th century, so there was less migration, and it wasn't as industrialised as the rest of England.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,857
    Forum Member
    Good question :)

Yes, I won't mention my home town, but I am pretty loyal to my home town and am generally fond of it, though a lot of the people sometimes make me think I should change my thinking on this.

Its mainly sentimental feeling as well as it being in a good location and seems to be in a non flood plain area pretty much too.

Though I am wondering if I should consider moving in the future to get a cheaper house to live in. I watch Homes Under The Hammer a bit and a lot of the towns seem nice and good value for money, Derby espcially, what are peoples views on Derby?

Good place to start a thread I suppose hey on DS if you want to know about other towns and what their like.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. I now live a minute's walk away from the hospital I was born in.
  • InsideKnowledgeInsideKnowledge Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    I can think of nothing worse than staying in the town you were born in.
    Forum Member
    I can think of nothing worse than staying in the town you were born in.

Depends on the town/city, I suppose. People always think that life's better 'out there' and for some it may be if you have better job prospects/ relationships elsewhere. But it's not always the case if you are 'running away' from something as you take yourself with you.

However, I would like to retire to the south coast: Dorset/Devon, preferably.