Options

Missed a JC Appointment

Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
Forum Member
✭✭
I got scheduled a group meeting for today 5/6/14 when I thought It was tomorrow. I had It in my mind It`s tomorrow. Thankfully my sign on Is today but at a time I can get to.

I need a excuse. I have tried phoning the JC 2x but no anwser.

The best excuse I can up with so far Is I have/had a hospital appointment at half ten because I`ve been suffering from headaches and migranes recently and I had no idea the two appointments clashed. I know the JB find any excuse to get you off of you`re benefits.

What can I do?

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    If you use an appointment excuse they will ask for proof. And if you don't provide it you will be penalised
  • Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Violent explosive diarrhoea
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got scheduled a group meeting for today 5/6/14 when I thought It was tomorrow. I had It in my mind It`s tomorrow. Thankfully my sign on Is today but at a time I can get to.

I need a excuse. I have tried phoning the JC 2x but no anwser.

The best excuse I can up with so far Is I have/had a hospital appointment at half ten because I`ve been suffering from headaches and migranes recently and I had no idea the two appointments clashed. I know the JB find any excuse to get you off of you`re benefits.

What can I do?

I'm confused. You say you can make your job centre appointment, so what do you need to cancel?
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be honest when you sign on, tell them you had written it down wrong in your diary and ask be be scheduled for a new one. Nothing to be gained from lying, unless the hospital appointment is real, in which case as has been said make sure you get a proof from them and then take that to the jobbies and tell them that truth.
  • Options
    angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    Violent explosive diarrhoea

this. why not? lol :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I'm confused. You say you can make your job centre appointment, so what do you need to cancel?

Group appointment, they are the ones where you gain knowledge like CV writing etc.

My appointment was after it finished.

Went to sign on at the JC. The woman, not my usaul advisor, mentioned nothing. Although, I know how sneaky the JC can be and probaly didn`t tell me she sanctioned me for missing it.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the same when I was on job seekers allowance last year. Wrote down the wrong day in my diary. As soon as I realised that I had missed the appointment I phoned up, apologised and made a new appointment for the next day. They sanctioned me for a month so I'm sorry to say the likelihood is that they will do that to you as well.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That part makes me suspect that you didn't actually mistake the dates at all, but rather the appointment was at a time you deemed too early and/or too difficult to attend.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I receive income support and forgot about an appointment. I just phoned up and explained and they arranged another appointment. They said my money would not be affected this time but if it happened again and I didn't inform them then my money would be sanctioned. I think with JSA its a bit more strict but I know a friend of mine missed an appointment and said they were in hospital and the JC never asked for any proof thet just rearranged another appointment. As long as you call them and explain you should be fine.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Just be honest when you sign on, tell them you had written it down wrong in your diary and ask be be scheduled for a new one. Nothing to be gained from lying, unless the hospital appointment is real, in which case as has been said make sure you get a proof from them and then take that to the jobbies and tell them that truth.

This. Lying about medical problems is never a good idea - before you know it you're having to invent hospital appointments and doctors and conditions...

Why didn't you attend the appointment? If you wrote down the date or time incorrectly, own up to your mistake and they might admire your honesty. Or at least give you a second chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    That part makes me suspect that you didn't actually mistake the dates at all, but rather the appointment was at a time you deemed too early and/or too difficult to attend.

This group thing started at 9:30. I had no idea It was on a Thursday, the postman woke us up and I just thought I would have a look and then I remembered it was the 4th the day before and something In my head just told me the 5th was a Friday.

I live about ten minutes away and I woke up at 9am and I wasn`t prepared at all. The SIgn on was at 11:40 the same day.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And people wonder why the Jobcentre gets a reputation in some circles of not believing people? Sheesh.

Also what if your adviser happens to be on here and you've used your real name?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Missed a JC Appointment

It's always worth making the effort to attend scheduled appointments, no matter how inconvenient, because of the ever present threat these days of punitive benefit sanctions from the Job Centre even if it means improving scheduling and alarm call arrangements, etc.

If anyone is ever sanctioned, advice can be obtained from the nearest Citizens Advice Bureau (see http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm) and possibly food bank as well http://www.trusselltrust.org/map but a referral will usually be required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This group thing started at 9:30. I had no idea It was on a Thursday, the postman woke us up and I just thought I would have a look and then I remembered it was the 4th the day before and something In my head just told me the 5th was a Friday.

I live about ten minutes away and I woke up at 9am and I wasn`t prepared at all. The SIgn on was at 11:40 the same day.

The job centre is ten minutes away... you woke up at 9am and the appointment was at 9.30?
    How long does it take to brush your teeth, wash your face, tie your hair back and pull on some clean clothes? I know, because I've overslept before now, and I can be on the road in ten minutes if I need to - and that includes grabbing a slice of toast for breakfast. Even if you'd taken a little longer than that, you would only be a few minutes late.

You had between fifteen and twenty minutes to get to your appointment, so in effect you chose not to go. Sounds like you're not bothered about actually seeking a job - just signing on and getting your money. The job centre would be right to sanction you.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If OP had accepted the Halfords job she was offered a couple of weeks ago she could have said they called her into work at short notice...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=72758273

But then I get the impression benefits are more important than actually getting a job...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    The job centre is ten minutes away... you woke up at 9am and the appointment was at 9.30?
    How long does it take to brush your teeth, wash your face, tie your hair back and pull on some clean clothes? I know, because I've overslept before now, and I can be on the road in ten minutes if I need to - and that includes grabbing a slice of toast for breakfast. Even if you'd taken a little longer than that, you would only be a few minutes late.

You had between fifteen and twenty minutes to get to your appointment, so in effect you chose not to go. Sounds like you're not bothered about actually seeking a job - just signing on and getting your money. The job centre would be right to sanction you.

Oh, I was counting down the clock waiting for you people to come. I have attended every meeting, appointment and group session so far. This was just a mistake. We all make mistakes, no good thinking you are perfect.

As for the job situation. Well, It`s not my fault every bus or train don`t go to that specified location and I have to walk a thousand miles to get their. Not my fault employers don`t phone me back. My CV can`t be that bad If I get interviews often.

Just a matter of my time will come. My time Is not now. A little patience and luck goes a long way.

Please do not reply to this thread anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I was counting down the clock waiting for you people to come. I have attended every meeting, appointment and group session so far. This was just a mistake. We all make mistakes, no good thinking you are perfect.

As for the job situation. Well, It`s not my fault every bus or train don`t go to that specified location and I have to walk a thousand miles to get their. Not my fault employers don`t phone me back. My CV can`t be that bad If I get interviews often.

Just a matter of my time will come. My time Is not now. A little patience and luck goes a long way.

You haven't explained why half an hour wasn't long enough to get to an appointment that was only ten minutes' walk away? We all oversleep (as I said I've done - I know I'm not perfect!) but you haven't given a valid reason for why you didn't even bother to try and attend the appointment. You would only have been a few minutes late at the most.

'Your time will come' you say. For what? You've been offered at least one job, but didn't take that - probably because it's too much effort to work a whole 7 hours a week when you'd only be £20 better off than on benefits. That's just laziness. Take that job, keep looking for the next one. Don't sit on your backside whinging.

You can't tell me not to reply to a thread - it's a public forum, and I'm entitled to have an opinion, especially as the taxes I pay from my 37 hour a week job go towards other people's benefits.

You come on here asking about the best way to lie your way out of a situation; you can't be bothered to attend appointments, you complain that you have to travel to work (just like everybody else on the planet!) and employers don't call you back (pick up the phone, it's called initiative.) Your CV might be okay, but have you ever thought that your attitude is the real problem?
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you ask for feedback after interviews when you don't get the job. Just that maybe it's the case that your CV is okay, but there's something in your interview technique that is putting employers off?

I was also under the impression that you'd taken the Halford's job, so I'm confused as to why you didn't as a stop-gap?

I was in JSA for a few weeks there between jobs, and I found they were generally helpful if you were honest and when I rang them to say I was working 12 hours training on my first week of the job, I was told that it was easier for them not to worry about it and just claim JSA for the extra 3 days. I found the staff helpful and genuine, I know there are issues, and like everywhere, there are good staff and bad staff, but my experience was largely positive, and the only thing that annoyed me was the whingers who sat there for half an hour with excuse after excuse for why they couldn't apply for any jobs that the adviser was suggesting to them
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    You haven't explained why half an hour wasn't long enough to get to an appointment that was only ten minutes' walk away? We all oversleep (as I said I've done - I know I'm not perfect!) but you haven't given a valid reason for why you didn't even bother to try and attend the appointment. You would only have been a few minutes late at the most.

'Your time will come' you say. For what? You've been offered at least one job, but didn't take that - probably because it's too much effort to work a whole 7 hours a week when you'd only be £20 better off than on benefits. That's just laziness. Take that job, keep looking for the next one. Don't sit on your backside whinging.

You can't tell me not to reply to a thread - it's a public forum, and I'm entitled to have an opinion, especially as the taxes I pay from my 37 hour a week job go towards other people's benefits.

You come on here asking about the best way to lie your way out of a situation; you can't be bothered to attend appointments, you complain that you have to travel to work (just like everybody else on the planet!) and employers don't call you back (pick up the phone, it's called initiative.) Your CV might be okay, but have you ever thought that your attitude is the real problem?

Alot of the time it is not lazyness by people, but when someone is only earning a extra £5 per week , the system in its self makes it so much hard work dealing with all the different department, JSA, the housing benefit and then council tax, i have known claimants having their HB messed up that much other little extra earning and takes weeks some times months to sort out, as when having a change of income done they stop the HB claim and start again, and then a landlord gets a letter stating HB as been stopped so he starts hassling the tenant about the rent so the tenant spends hours going down or on the phone trying to sort the rent and council tax out that they have not earnt any more money as it has all been taken up trying to sort out HB and council tax, So its not always the claimants fault but the systems
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do apologize If my attitude is not up to your standards, but I have to put up with you kind of people nearly everyday.

As for the missing appointments thing. As I have already stated I have attended every appointment, meeting and interview so far. The last group meeting I had was In a city half hour from me, It was all day, I had to get a early early bus and then weasle my around the city to a location of the city I have never been on foot too before, I had to wait at least a hour to go In due to being so far out. I still attended. I did not want to go but I still did. As for that appointment I missed, I did not delibrately miss it. I would not like to get sanctioned I know what worry and stress you go through. Now can we please move on? I know can be looking for jobs rather then explain my situation to you.

Please don`t sit behind a computer and assume things about me. You instantly say I can`t be bothered to go to a meeting because I misread the dates? That`s just one thing.

I came on here looking for help, just like the rest of the community on here. I did not ask for your opinion I asked for help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do apologize If my attitude is not up to your standards, but I have to put up with you kind of people nearly everyday.

As for the missing appointments thing. As I have already stated I have attended every appointment, meeting and interview so far. The last group meeting I had was In a city half hour from me, It was all day, I had to get a early early bus and then weasle my around the city to a location of the city I have never been on foot too before, I had to wait at least a hour to go In due to being so far out. I still attended. I did not want to go but I still did. As for that appointment I missed, I did not delibrately miss it. I would not like to get sanctioned I know what worry and stress you go through. Now can we please move on? I know can be looking for jobs rather then explain my situation to you.

Please don`t sit behind a computer and assume things about me. You instantly say I can`t be bothered to go to a meeting because I misread the dates? That`s just one thing.

I came on here looking for help, just like the rest of the community on here. I did not ask for your opinion I asked for help.

Fair enough that you're asking for help, but your example above won't endear you to many people, as a lot of people do that and a heck of a lot more to go to work every day. The poster above was just asking because it seemed as though you has time go to to this appointment, but for whatever reason, you chose not to. If you're working and you do that, you'd get sacked, so why is it different for a JSA appointment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can a mod please delete this thread now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can a mod please delete this thread now?

Why? Because you didn't get the answer you wanted?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    Why? Because you didn't get the answer you wanted?

No, because I`ve had enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, because I`ve had enough.

You really need to grow a thicker skin, people were only asking questions, and you've replied by wanting to throw your toys out of the pram. Yes, being on JSA sucks, and the hoops you have to jump through, but that's life, and it won't get any easier when you're working either