Transferring a Windows 8 Pro Key from a dead system

Might need the guru's input on this. I had a HP windows 7 system (upgraded it to windows 8 pro with media centre) Now that system is completely dead (to the point where a guy has probably put the spare bits salvageable in another machine) Now I will at 1 point be getting a new system (it will likely have windows 8.1 built in) How if it's possible to transfer the keys to the new system?

Comments

• 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Now I will at 1 point be getting a new system (it will likely have windows 8.1 built in) How if it's possible to transfer the keys to the new system?

:confused:
    You wont have to transfer anything, the new system will have its own new key.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    :confused:
    You wont have to transfer anything, the new system will have its own new key.

It won't have pro though and would want to use my own key (and the media centre key) which is obviously been used on that dead system
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,416
    Forum Member
    If you bought it separately then the product key will be on the DVD case.

If it was some kind of HP update scheme then it will be an OEM licence which dies with the hardware.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    It won't have pro though and would want to use my own key (and the media centre key) which is obviously been used on that dead system

Was this Pro key bought at launch, with the 'free' Media Center key?

Something in the back of my mind tells me that the Media Center key is not easy to use on subseqent installations.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Got a feeling that might be a problem sadly. Yep the pro key was a upgrade (cheap) and the media player key.............actually just looking again I bought the media player key myself £6.99