Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_...en_Snoeper.png

Hmmmm.
    In the 70s he developed and afro. Funny what coal dust can do.

He is and always was a helper for Sinterklaas who travelled all the way from Spain to bring gifts to children. He was first introduced in 1850 by a primary school teacher.

People do realise that these are all fictional characters right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Hence the riots :rolleyes:

Just to point out that I have lived in both Amsterdam and Utrecht :p

A few arrests are hardly riots :confused:

I trump you... I was born in Holland and lived through this festival as a child. And guess what... I didn't turn out to be a racist much to your disappointment probably.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Isn't it black Dutch people complaining about it? It's their country and their festival too, and they are having their say on it

i didnt actually say who was protesting..but it doesnt matter as you dont change popular traditions just because a tiny minority start acting up...and the majority like it as it is.
    i know..lets go tother countries and tell them we dont like their traditions and they should change them / not..

a few rent a mob left wing type protesters doesnt mean anything and the police can deal with disruption ...what next..santa claus should be abolished...
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    what next..santa claus should be abolished

According to some people he is apparently a white slaver, so they probably would want it banned.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Unless you are from an ethnic minority and then I'm sure you are delighted to see the slave trade 'celebrated' in this manner :o >:( :(

People got dirty down chimneys. It has nothing to do with race.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    According to some people he is apparently a white slaver, so they probably would want it banned.

oh no..lets ban reindeers for helping and the elves :D

will rudolph be politically correct with a red nose :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Got nothing to do with chimneys either, black pete is a moor and isn't a slave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad thing is that this whole Sinterklaas thing is aimed at children under the age of 7 or so.

These kids don' suddenly become a racist because a black helper hands then candy and presents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a thought: make all the helpers white and see how long it will take before some offended people claim that it is not representative and a black person should feature.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest that they do this because the majority of the Nederlands is now multicultural.

I take it you've never been to the Zeeland province?
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1MJ1 wrote: »
    A few arrests are hardly riots :confused:

I trump you... I was born in Holland and lived through this festival as a child. And guess what... I didn't turn out to be a racist much to your disappointment probably.

If you support 'blackface' then I can only disagree :(

Dutch peeps always been arrogant >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (

I'm not aware of the historic demographics of holland but if it has a myth/legend of a white man and black helper why is it so outrageous that they dress up as him?

Some people made reference to black Pete developing an "afro" or curly hair.

Black Pete is a moor and a quick google about them turns up this

Arab writers further buttress the black identity of the Moors. The powerful Moorish Emperor Yusuf ben-Tachfin is described by an Arab chronicler as “a brown man with wooly hair".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems a bit bloody odd to me, of the few places in the world where the imagery of christmas isn't the sole preserve of white people that some are taking issue with it because of it and declaring it racist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How can you make such comment when you don't me from Adam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The vast majority of the Dutch are far from arrogant. Quite the opposite.
  • Options
    potpourripotpourri Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Interesting trailer for a Dutch documentary called Our Colonial Hangover, where two people dressed as Zwarte Piets are in London and explain the tradition and see people's reactions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBLBxb29maw#t=158
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Those few days are a fun time to be in the Netherlands.
    The Dutch people feel very passionate about their Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet.
    Unlike here, they actually stand up for their traditions.

How does the UK not 'stand up for its traditions'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    potpourri wrote: »
    Interesting trailer for a Dutch documentary called Our Colonial Hangover, where two people dressed as Zwarte Piets are in London and explain the tradition and see people's reactions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBLBxb29maw#t=158

You do know the agenda of this person that made the documentary?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    How does the UK not 'stand up for its traditions'?

You'll find the 'PC brigade' has more members here than in the rest of Europe put together. I'm no fan of the French for instance, but I love the way they give the finger to anyone who tries to ban anything traditionally French others want to ban.

If anyone has a problem with Zwarte Piet, then don't live in the Netherlands or Belgium where the overwhelming majority of people take pleasure in the tradition.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    You'll find the 'PC brigade' has more members here than in the rest of Europe put together. I'm no fan of the French for instance, but I love the way they give the finger to anyone who tries to ban anything traditionally French others want to ban..

Still waiting for actual examples, though you did at least manage to get 'PC Brigade' in there...
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    strange how the coal dust never sticks to his clothes and causes his lips to go red and hair to grow into afro.

Still the compromise is there a few streaks of "coal" on the face and hands should be sufficient to remove it far away from the black caricature it "happens" to look identical to.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Careful, that's the most awesome nation on Earth you're dissing there. >:(
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Maybe towards you with your attitude but otherwise they're not, quite the opposite in fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    strange how the coal dust never sticks to his clothes and causes his lips to go red and hair to grow into afro.

Still the compromise is there a few streaks of "coal" on the face and hands should be sufficient to remove it far away from the black caricature it "happens" to look identical to.

stud-u-like was wrong. It has nothing to do with chimneys but neither has the tradition anything to do with slavery or with race.

People are making it a race issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe towards you with your attitude but otherwise they're not, quite the opposite in fact.

Can confirm, last year i was in Amsterdam at Christmas and got invited to do dinner because i was on my own :)