Options

EE - Dean: "I don't need to do that"

lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was anyone else disturbed when Dean said this to Shirley the other night? It made me convinced that he knows damn well that he raped Linda and he's aware that it was not consensual at all. That line just made me think that Dean believes rape is okay! He doesn't even seem disgusted or horrified(as an innocent person would be) at Linda's "lies", he just seems frustrated and annoyed! Did anyone else pick up on this?

Maybe I read too much into what he said because as far as I know, we are still not meant to know if Dean is utterly deluded and has convinced himself that he didn't rape Linda

Personally I think he knows exactly what he did (if not at the moment, then he knows at the back of his mind)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too think he does know but he's trying to pretend otherwise because he doesn't want to get into trouble with the police or have everyone disown him (apart from all the people who already have!)
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he knows - his entire defence was full of stuff like that 'she was playing hard to get', 'she wanted it, 'she loved it', 'she slapped me, but she wanted it', 'I don't need to do that.'

I think Dean is trying hard to convince himself (and others) that he's not a rapist, but deep down, you see glimpses and it seems pretty clear that he knows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he knows - his entire defence was full of stuff like that 'she was playing hard to get', 'she wanted it, 'she loved it', 'she slapped me, but she wanted it', 'I don't need to do that.'

I think Dean is trying hard to convince himself (and others) that he's not a rapist, but deep down, you see glimpses and it seems pretty clear that he knows.

All that stuff he's said is so creepy isn't it. Ugh!
  • Options
    SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He knows full well he raped her. When Shirley asked if Linda had said no, Dean paused and then lied. He lied and denied Linda told him to stop... that is when his whole story fell apart. I'm surprised so many overlooked it as it was the most crucially important moment of the entire scene.
  • Options
    llgxllgx Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think Dean does believe Linda was leading him on, whether or not he's just convincing himself him of that who knows but I'm pretty sure he doesn't think he's done anything wrong. He doesn't think of himself as a rapist at all.
  • Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He obviously knows deep down that he did rape her, but is so deluded he's led himself to believe otherwise.

As for that line, I heard it as more in terms of "plenty of women throw themselves at me I don't need to rape another mans wife"
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think looking back that maybe in his state at the time he thought it was ok (not that most normal people would commit rape because they were upset) I think that either immediately or soon after he realised what he did was not consensual in any way shape or form but is trying to convince himself or others that it was.
  • Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sereniity wrote: »
    He knows full well he raped her. When Shirley asked if Linda had said no, Dean paused and then lied. He lied and denied Linda told him to stop... that is when his whole story fell apart. I'm surprised so many overlooked it as it was the most crucially important moment of the entire scene.

Agreed. That may have been where he finally realized what he'd done for the first time. Hearing those words "did she say no" probably brought it all back for him as he remembered her asking him to stop.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even when Linda slapped him, he smiled. I think, in his head, he's made himself believe that everything he saw was real from Linda.

Of course, we know that it wasn't.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    llgx wrote: »
    I actually think Dean does believe Linda was leading him on, whether or not he's just convincing himself him of that who knows but I'm pretty sure he doesn't think he's done anything wrong. He doesn't think of himself as a rapist at all.
    Baban wrote: »
    He obviously knows deep down that he did rape her, but is so deluded he's led himself to believe otherwise.

As for that line, I heard it as more in terms of "plenty of women throw themselves at me I don't need to rape another mans wife"
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I think looking back that maybe in his state at the time he thought it was ok (not that most normal people would commit rape because they were upset) I think that either immediately or soon after he realised what he did was not consensual in any way shape or form but is trying to convince himself or others that it was.

I think the truth is somewhere between these three.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Even when Linda slapped him, he smiled. I think, in his head, he's made himself believe that everything he saw was real from Linda.

Of course, we know that it wasn't.

At the time I thought he smiled because he got a reaction out of her and felt that she would not have reacted so strongly had she not been secretly attracted to him, because in his mind - why didn't she just push him away instead of slapping him and why get so mad/angry about a silly drunken pass?
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been said in many press reports that the storyline is that Dean doesn't realise he raped Linda
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    It has been said in many press reports that the storyline is that Dean doesn't realise he raped Linda

Which reports? the one I read here..

Matt Di Angelo, who plays Dean, explained last week: "Before the rape, Linda is comforting Dean and she says, 'You're just like Lee, you bottle everything up. I'll make you a hot chocolate, it's Johnny's favourite drink'. He's just like, 'I'm not one of your kids, stop looking at me so maternal'.

"He just snatches it out of her. When Dean walks out [of] the room, he's just thinking, 'You'll never look at me like one of your sons again'. It's just horrible."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a601344/potd-eastenders-linda-carter-left-devastated-by-rape-ordeal.html#~p2qawo2YczhHl8#ixzz3PsJ3khMv
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

Matt gave accounts of men he spoke to who all said when first accused of rape their initial reaction was to deny it and believe it was consentual. Lets face it who is ever going to admit straight away they raped someone? denial is part of the course for these people, plus all those guys were also convicted rapists so at some point admitted their guilt.. that's the important thing people aren't understanding in their defence of Dean ''not knowing''

People have taken Matt's actual words and twisted them into something there weren't.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For me that was the crux of the scene but it's been somewhat overlooked.
  • Options
    VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't enjoyed this SL.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    His scenes in that episode were basically a 101 session in rape myths. Using all the classics to peddle his 'side of the story' shows to me he definitely is fully aware of what he's done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dean's line "I don't need to do that" could mean that he doesn't interpret what he did as rape, which does suggest that he is delusional.
  • Options
    cobiscobis Posts: 11,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said this before on another thread that with those words Dean has shown that he believes rapists to be men who cant get sex any other way, he is young good looking has no trouble getting girls into bed, he couldn't possibly be a rapist :o But it isn't about sex, it is about power and control and humiliation, how dare Linda put him in the same category as her children!

Dean has convinced himself that by slapping him and saying no Linda was just being coy and not rejecting him, and he wasn't going to let another woman reject him, Shirley Lauren Stacey and now Linda!

He is actually a very dangerous young man, in another thread today I said I thought it unlikely that Dean would rape again, that attacking Linda was a culmination of a set of circumstances and events that led him to commit this awful act but actually I am not so sure, what happens the next time a girl rejects him? If Dean isn't charged this time I wonder if this is where the story is going? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cobis wrote: »

He is actually a very dangerous young man, in another thread today I said I thought it unlikely that Dean would rape again, that attacking Linda was a culmination of a set of circumstances and events that led him to commit this awful act but actually I am not so sure, what happens the next time a girl rejects him? If Dean isn't charged this time I wonder if this is where the story is going? :(

Totally. EE made a point of saying Dean shaved the hair off his ex girlfriend because she cheated on him. It was a totally random conversation that had no merits in the episode it was mentioned in. I mean that is pretty much the stuff of psychos. The need to embarrass and control someone like that isn't in any way the actions of someone who 'misread the signs' and I'm still convinced that girl will come into play at some point and maybe even play a part in Dean's ultimate downfall if it transpires he raped her too. There was no other reason to let the audience know of this incident unless it was important.
  • Options
    eejmeejm Posts: 1,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cobis wrote: »
    I said this before on another thread that with those words Dean has shown that he believes rapists to be men who cant get sex any other way, he is young good looking has no trouble getting girls into bed, he couldn't possibly be a rapist :o But it isn't about sex, it is about power and control and humiliation, how dare Linda put him in the same category as her children!

Dean has convinced himself that by slapping him and saying no Linda was just being coy and not rejecting him, and he wasn't going to let another woman reject him, Shirley Lauren Stacey and now Linda!

I agree with everything in this post.

When Dean first came back, he was visiting Stan and talked a bit about being in some trouble because he had slept with a girlfriend's best friend. It sounded at the time like he had just been a lousy boyfriend, but now I'm wondering if there was more to it than that. I wouldn't be surprised if Linda wasn't the first person was raped after rejecting Dean.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which reports? the one I read here..

Matt Di Angelo, who plays Dean, explained last week: "Before the rape, Linda is comforting Dean and she says, 'You're just like Lee, you bottle everything up. I'll make you a hot chocolate, it's Johnny's favourite drink'. He's just like, 'I'm not one of your kids, stop looking at me so maternal'.

"He just snatches it out of her. When Dean walks out [of] the room, he's just thinking, 'You'll never look at me like one of your sons again'. It's just horrible."

Matt gave accounts of men he spoke to who all said when first accused of rape their initial reaction was to deny it and believe it was consentual. Lets face it who is ever going to admit straight away they raped someone? denial is part of the course for these people, plus all those guys were also convicted rapists so at some point admitted their guilt.. that's the important thing people aren't understanding in their defence of Dean ''not knowing''

People have taken Matt's actual words and twisted them into something there weren't.

As its late im going to give you one example:-
    A quote from Inside soap

"In Dean's head, he's done nothing wrong - he'd deluded and thinks that he and Linda had some kind of consensual relationship" our Eastenders insider reminds us.

Many of the reports of this storyline say quite similar things and as they write the storylines id have thought that they know what they're writing and how it is intended?

Im off to bed now, goodnight :)
  • Options
    Auds77Auds77 Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although we know that rape is about power I took that line differently.

I understood his logic to be I am capable of getting a woman, I wouldn't need to force someone because he can't accept yet that it wasn't reciprocal attraction/desire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    As its late im going to give you one example:-
    A quote from Inside soap

"In Dean's head, he's done nothing wrong - he'd deluded and thinks that he and Linda had some kind of consensual relationship" our Eastenders insider reminds us.

Many of the reports of this storyline say quite similar things and as they write the storylines id have thought that they know what they're writing and how it is intended?

Im off to bed now, goodnight :)

Oh an EE ''insider'' lol

I would sooner listen to Matt himself.
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Dean said to Shirley last week, "You really believe me, don't you?" To which she replied, "of course I do, I'm your mother"...

It seems to me that he didn't expect his denial to be believed, and that is because he knows he forced himself on Linda, whether he calls that rape, or not. He knows he's guilty, imo . He's in the habit of getting away with things by being 'charming' >:(
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    I just though he meant he has no problems attracting women so why I would be pathetic enough to rape