CS: Is Dierdre really a loss to the show?

IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm setting up this thread as a similar one was locked with no reason given. I feel it's a reasonable discussion to have.

I feel she's not a loss to the show as I don't believe she played that important of a role. Just being a Barlow isn't enough for me. If she was given a few more individual storylines as opposed to just reacting to her relatives' actions, I might think differently.

Comments

• SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    It sounds quite offensive to the family and friends of Anne Kirkbride, though. It is an attack on her. It's the wrong time to post it, I think.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds quite offensive to the family and friends of Anne Kirkbride, though. It is an attack on her. It's the wrong time to post it, I think.

When will it be the right time though? I just find it ridiculous that the character of Dierdre will be exempt from negative opinion for an arbitrary amount of time. Neither this or the other thread mentions Anne Kirkbride (until now obviously).
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always shocked how many people still cannot spell Deirdre correctly.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone's asking for a ban.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm setting up this thread as a similar one was locked with no reason given. I feel it's a reasonable discussion to have.

I feel she's not a loss to the show as I don't believe she played that important of a role. Just being a Barlow isn't enough for me. If she was given a few more individual storylines as opposed to just reacting to her relatives' actions, I might think differently.
    Deidre has had the most amazing individual storylines over the 40+ years she has been in Coronation Street To me, Anne's death is like losing a friendly neighbour. It will be very difficult for the writers to produce a story to cover her absence from the show.
  • MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She used to be in the forefront more, as she got older producers used her more to "put over" other characters storylines rather than be the centre herself which is a clever way to use someone like this. She will be missed thats for sure.
  • rob_bangorrob_bangor Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Losing deidre, like losing Jack and Vera, Mike Baldwin, Ena, Elsie and every other major character who has gone over the years will leave a big void in the show. Even more so cos Ken and Tracyluv are both still in the show.
    However, the show will go on and will move on and evolve without her. No one actor is bigger than the show. That can be said for both Corrie and Eastenders.
    So yes it will be a big loss to the show in it's current form but long term, it's no different to losing any other character.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first one was obvious locked for a reason, and yet you continue to carry it on in a new thread. I am sure you are smart and a better person than this.
  • Ross_WRoss_W Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Looks as though 'IJoinedInMay' is about to become 'ILeftInFebruary'.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross_W wrote: »

:D:D ...
  • MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol that was good^
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and the award for the funniest post I have read in a while goes to you

:):)

Good one
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read the title and screamed "YES!" in my head, whilst shaking it at the same time at the fact that anyone would think Deirdre WASN'T a loss to the show!

However, locking threads and not being able to discuss Deirdre negatively is stupid. Deirdre is just a character and unless posters start discussing Anne negatively (i.e. calling her a bad actress, for example) then I don't see why a thread discussing Deirdre should be/would be locked.
  • IRITALIAIRITALIA Posts: 6,508
    Forum Member
    If you are coming from the school of thought that even poor Deirdre was redused to mainly a farcical character by the writers in recent times............hum.

But as a stalwart of the show for over 40 years and much loved then yes she is a great loss.

I personally love to see characters that I have grown up with still in my favourite soaps as it is somewhat comforting, a bit like extended family.
    I know it's not real life but having shared their up's and down's on screen for so many years there is a certain amount of passive investment built up over the years.

So in short, yes she is a great loss to the continuity of the show and to No. 1 Coronation Street. :)
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first one was obvious locked for a reason, and yet you continue to carry it on in a new thread. I am sure you are smart and a better person than this.

What reason was that? I don't know but the mods don't even have the courtesy to explain their actions.
    IRITALIA wrote: »
    If you are coming from the school of thought that even poor Deirdre was redused to mainly a farcical character by the writers in recent times............hum.

But as a stalwart of the show for over 40 years and much loved then yes she is a great loss.

I personally love to see characters that I have grown up with still in my favourite soaps as it is somewhat comforting, a bit like extended family.
    I know it's not real life but having shared their up's and down's on screen for so many years there is a certain amount of passive investment built up over the years.

So in short, yes she is a great loss to the continuity of the show and to No. 1 Coronation Street. :)

Yes, I do. I think if you're considering a character's current worth to the show, their recent past should be considered ahead of what they might have done 20 years ago or beyond. Whether Deirdre (sorry about the spelling!) is a Corrie legend or not is a different argument as to whether she should have remained in the show. The two can overlap but I don't think they need to go hand in hand.
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    I care a lot for Anne and was sad that she died. Not just because it's Anne and she's famous, but because it's someone losing their life. I'd also be sad if I heard about a death nearby where I live, or read it in the news.

But I don't care for Deirdre at all. The show must go on; it's not disrespectful to dislike the character. I'm sure a lot of people dislike Jim Branning as well.

You can't really pull the "have some respect" card. The character and the actor are separate. Just because you dislike one, doesn't mean you dislike the other.

The OP should NOT be punished for writing this thread. He or she is not a troll, or a joker. It actually takes a lot of guts; some people on this thread are disgusting, and will hurl abuse at anyone if their opinion is any different to their own. The OP is shown that they aren't afraid to speak their mind on a forum full of ignorance and rudeness.

This really puts our society into flux. Why is Deirdre superior? Why can't she be disliked, like other characters?
  • LaurawhittzLaurawhittz Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good work here :D

What a pointless and insensitive thread! The poor woman's only just died!
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Good work here :D

What a pointless and insensitive thread! The poor woman's only just died!

Anne has died. And we're all sad. Deirdre, however, is a character. She is fictional; made up. Anne played her, but was not her.
  • PopsiemiaPopsiemia Posts: 5,135
    Forum Member
    Of course Deidre was so so important to Corrie.
    Everyone is entitled to ask questions, but I do feel that this particular one has been asked at a rather bad and time and rather insensitive of the DS Poster to ask tjis right now.
  • bebo83bebo83 Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    She died two weeks ago. Why is this question even being asked.
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bebo83 wrote: »
    She died two weeks ago. Why is this question even being asked.

It scares me that some people really can't seem to grasp the difference between the characters and the actors when it comes to soaps.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely ridiculous that people think this is disrespectful. No disrespect is being shown to the actress, it is a simple discussion about a fictional character.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Deidre was a brilliant character, however I did think in 2014 that the writing wasn't great for the character. She had much more use than a comedy role, they seemed to put her in a supporting role rather than as a key character, they may have had their reasons for this though. I was really looking forward to seeing her come back, its still hasn't sunk in that we wont see Deidre on screen again.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She died you fool. She wasn't axed or quit.
  • HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is making excuses for the actress not being in the show that she wasn't that important. The reason she isn't in the show is because she died. Talking about anyone as if their role/job/place in something wasn't important or won't be missed after they've died is hugely disrespectful, insensitive and just awful.

Why on earth do people feel the need to make these excuses? If you feel sad about it then say so, if you don't then you probably have no interest in posting on the matter. But to come up with POSITIVES on why the character not being around isn't a big deal is staggering.

Glad to see DS users have got their priorities straight.