"Britain is becoming a friend who can't be trusted" says US Army Chief Of Staff

steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11443204/Britain-is-becoming-a-friend-who-cant-be-trusted-says-top-US-general.html

Gen Raymond Odierno, US army Chief of Staff, says UK defence cuts are eroding his country's confidence in our commitment to global security.

His comments, moreover, came after President Barack Obama had taken issue with David Cameron when he visited the White House in January. He warned the Prime Minister of the dangers of allowing British defence expenditure to fall below the 2 per cent of GDP threshold required by our Nato membership.

Comments

• Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    This the same chap here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31688929

Jeez, the Septics do love their gold braid and coloured ribbons, don't they? Maybe it compensates for the hair loss.
  • Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/11443204/Britain-is-becoming-a-friend-who-cant-be-trusted-says-top-US-general.html
    Gen Raymond Odierno, US army Chief of Staff, says UK defence cuts are eroding his country's confidence in our commitment to global security.
    His comments, moreover, came after President Barack Obama had taken issue with David Cameron when he visited the White House in January. He warned the Prime Minister of the dangers of allowing British defence expenditure to fall below the 2 per cent of GDP threshold required by our Nato membership.

Well, Mr Obama speaks as a man who understands economics - NOT, he just prints money when he needs it and is not bringing down their deficit. We are right, the next war will be with less boots on the ground and more digitally controlled war weapons and cutting our expenditure DOES NOT MEAN cutting down our commitment to world peace - oops, something else Mr Obama is lacking in, the understanding of the English language! Deal with your own problems at home Mr President before criticizing us.
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member

The headline is a bit misleading as he never actually said that, but he does have a point about the defence cuts which are getting close to leaving the UK undefended.
  • worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lin4237 wrote: »
    Well, Mr Obama speaks as a man who understands economics - NOT, he just prints money when he needs it and is not bringing down their deficit. We are right, the next war will be with less boots on the ground and more digitally controlled war weapons and cutting our expenditure DOES NOT MEAN cutting down our commitment to world peace - oops, something else Mr Obama is lacking in, the understanding of the English language! Deal with your own problems at home Mr President before criticizing us.

First we also printed money by the billions.
    Secondly we once bragged that although the US had the biggest navy Britain had the strongest .
    Thirdly where has our mighty industry gone.
    We use to build cars buses trains cloth steel ships for many countries around the world now we are ruled by the city of London.
    When it comes to the rest of our military so many people from commonwealth countries were proud to join British forces .
    Most modern day inventions started life in the UK including the atom bomb and your computer.
    Government after government sold off this country to the highest bidder.
    One more point why are we making trained military personnel redundant yet advertising for recruits .
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

When he is an elected member of Parliament then he can tell us how we spend our taxes.
  • david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The less American led wars we get involved in the better.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely that's more the legacy of the failed "War on Terror", the British public have lost all appetite to see our soldiers maimed and killed fighting badly planned wars of dubious benefit to our national security. Cameron knows this as much as anyone.

That's not to say we shouldn't be wary of the lessons of disarming when our enemies are doing the opposite.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    The less American led wars we get involved in the better.

Yes i agree.

Is this a video of the general here.;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMHDBL7CNA4
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Unlike the US we simply can no longer afford to be the world's policeman using money borrowed from China.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he is an elected member of Parliament then he can tell us how we spend our taxes.

When he's having to deploy Airborne Maritime assets to hunt for Russian subs in our waters, because we've scrapped ours, I think he's entitled to an opinion.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Surely that's more the legacy of the failed "War on Terror", the British public have lost all appetite to see our soldiers maimed and killed fighting badly planned wars of dubious benefit to our national security. Cameron knows this as much as anyone.

That's not to say we shouldn't be wary of the lessons of disarming when our enemies are doing the opposite.
    That's the point isn't it? We still need a good defence. i don't think Cameron's thought this out properly..
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    When he's having to deploy Airborne Maritime assets to hunt for Russian subs in our waters, because we've scrapped ours, I think he's entitled to an opinion.

If the US wants to hunt for Russian submarines then that is their affair but let us not kid ourselves that it is out of the goodness of their hearts.

Having said that, we should of course have our own Maritime Surveillance capability, unfortunately vanity projects such as Trident missile submarines and aircraft carriers seem to be a higher priority.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the US wants to hunt for Russian submarines then that is their affair but let us not kid ourselves that it is out of the goodness of their hearts.

Having said that, we should of course have our own Maritime Surveillance capability, unfortunately vanity projects such as Trident missile submarines and aircraft carriers seem to be a higher priority.

Minus the actual Planes.;-):D
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

They have been doing that for the last 70 odd years - it still does not give him the rights to tell us how we spend our taxes
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cutting our bloated military budget is a matter of common sense. Spend the defense budget on exactly that - defense. If it means we cannot support America's psychotic foreign policy, all the better.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    worzil wrote: »
    One more point why are we making trained military personnel redundant yet advertising for recruits .

You need young men in the military not old ones with a lot of responsibilities.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Order all US air bases to be closed and we ain't looking after your nukes any more Mr Obama, that's what I would do.
  • AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Military spending is 2.2% of GDP the same as France

Germany 1.3% , Spain a measley 0.9%. They still seem to be in NATO though
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Cutting our bloated military budget is a matter of common sense. Spend the defense budget on exactly that - defense. If it means we cannot support America's psychotic foreign policy, all the better.

Agreed. If the money already spent on defense hadn't been squandered quite so blatantly in very dubious enterprises then there might exist more of a will to increase spending.

The US spends more on "defense" (I'll put that in inverted commas since their version of defense seems to be mostly overseas) than the next 26 countries combined in the list. Consider that. Who's wrong - the US or everyone else?
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    Military spending is 2.2% of GDP the same as France

Germany 1.3% , Spain a measley 0.9%. They still seem to be in NATO though

Maybe it's time to say pay up or leave. I am amazed the American tax payer is prepared to pay, so these countries can spend the money on welfare instead.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The US spends more on "defense" (I'll put that in inverted commas since their version of defense seems to be mostly overseas) than the next 26 countries combined in the list. Consider that. Who's wrong - the US or everyone else?

Well you could argue that the rest of NATO are getting a free ride on the US Military capability rather than paying their own way.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    The headline is a bit misleading as he never actually said that, but he does have a point about the defence cuts which are getting close to leaving the UK undefended.

I'm glad you said this. I looked through the link and saw nothing resembling what the OP says the general said. Wonder where that particular made up quote came from.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad you said this. I looked through the link and saw nothing resembling what the OP says the general said. Wonder where that particular made up quote came from.

I just copied what the headline said, I think maybe the Daily Telegraph has changed the headline.
  • Bobby_HopBobby_Hop Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    What's the point on cost saving on defense, you can't spend what you save when you're dead can you.

I really don't care what's required to maintain sizable and continually updated defense, just as long as it's not "wasted" or "siphoned off by corruption."

Big or small, wars are inevitable, do you really want to be playing catch-up if say Russia and China kick something off for example.

Sitting on ones-hands approach to defense is also bad, we should actively getting out there, poking potential enemies defenses, wide reaching, making sure those wanting to harm or enslave us are always second guessing.

Peace makes us weak, un-prepared, vulnerable....
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just copied what the headline said, I think maybe the Daily Telegraph has changed the headline.

Yeah they must have. Now it says "US fears that Britain's defence cuts will diminish Army on world stage" which is almost accurate. Wish they'd inserted the word 'General' after US.