Options

Free Agents!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a shame it wasn't a better show as it has actors people here seem to really like; Anthony Head is too good for this program.:sleep:
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    they'd of been better off just buying the rights to pulling from the beeb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they'd of been better off just buying the rights to pulling from the beeb.

Yeah but can the rights to good bellylaughs be bought also!:)
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was pretty decent. If you liked Pulling and all that you'll like it.

To anyone who thought there was a lot of swearing: I suggest not visiting Scotland, ever.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Stardog wrote: »

To anyone who thought there was a lot of swearing: I suggest not visiting Scotland, ever.

LMAO. It wasn't so much there being too much swearing (I love a lot of shows with a lot of that) but it was the choice of swear words.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMAO. It wasn't so much there being too much swearing (I love a lot of shows with a lot of that) but it was the choice of swear words.

Glue stick?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member

I didn't just like Pulling - I loved Pulling. 'Wrong' in all the right ways, genuinely laugh-out-loud hilarious. Free Agents, on the other hand, was crap. No fun at all, in any way - a quite depressing half hour, totally wasting the cast. I can only assume they were paid so much money to do this that they couldn't say no.

The reviews for this were glowing - God, what were they watching? I don't think I've felt this let down by a show I was looking forward to in a while.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did a pilot during comedy connections last summer, I think.

EDIT - it was the year before.

It was part of C4's Comedy Showcase in late 2007, along with the Kevin Bishop Show and Plus One.

Apart from KB, these shows seem to have taken an extraordinary long time to come to air.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed it. It wasn't meant to be a laugh-out-loud comedy given the topic, and for my money it knocked spots off Plus One which fell flat at every turn.

As for the swearing, there was a lot but not every comedy has to be as tame as the majority of BBC'1 output.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think that it is swearing in itself which most people didn't like.
    I think some people are more bothered about swearing being used to compensate and fill in for the lack of something else in the script.

I was looking forward to this. I'll still try it out, but it seems that so far people haven't found it nearly as good as they thought it was going to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that it is swearing in itself which most people didn't like.
    I think some people are more bothered about swearing being used to compensate and fill in for the lack of something else in the script.

I was looking forward to this. I'll still try it out, but it seems that so far people haven't found it nearly as good as they thought it was going to be.

You are right; you have not seen it and you get that it was not funny but that it tried to be so using icky words to "compensate" by way of good humour, and that that only shows a "lack of something else in the script" which is IMO good writing and funny lines.
  • Options
    Dub1Dub1 Posts: 5,959
    Forum Member
    I didn`t even notice any swearing.

I kinda enjoyed it.The actors were good and the writing was sharp.Not a whole lot of laughs though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Anyone notice that Stephen Mangan seems to have lost quite a bit of weight?! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dub1 wrote: »
    I didn`t even notice any swearing.

I kinda enjoyed it.The actors were good and the writing was sharp.Not a whole lot of laughs though.

Basically what I was about to type. I barely noticed the swearing and it was ok although it wasn't that funny.
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There weren't any belly laughs in it but I thought it was sharply written and well acted.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There weren't any belly laughs in it but I thought it was sharply written and well acted.

I agree 100% with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to it, but I really don't want to be watching a show that uses the words "gash" and "pink bit".
    This post made me giggle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I confess I enjoyed it. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I was extremely disappointed by it. I'm no funnier than the next person but I feel sure that I would have written a better script.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .....accidental post.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was ok ,I even managed a smile.I thinkk it helps if you have known an agent as it is quite spot on.
    The swearing does seem a tad forced though.
  • Options
    mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    I only watched it to look at Anthony Head.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    mia75 wrote: »

Oh me too.

Loved him as the King in Merlin and couldn't quite come to terms with his first scene in this progamme (see Digital Sid's post). I'm no prude but, disappointed and bored, turned it off.

:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    mia75 wrote: »

I think that was part of the idea for the whole thing - cast actors people know and love from other shows, keep going on about Spaced and Black Books, pull in the sympathy vote because Pulling was cancelled - then reviewers will be too afraid to be the first person to say it just wasn't funny.

I must say though - as a drama, it did work okay. But Friday night Channel 4 at 10pm isn't where I go to explore the inner workings of two dysfunctional people going through breakdowns. If I wanted that, me and my boyfriend would sit in front of the mirror...:D
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Pulling and Sharon Horgan.

But this wasn't funny , half way through I was browsing the internet while watching I was so bored :(
  • Options
    deadbeat herodeadbeat hero Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly didn't notice the swearing, so I'm really surprised quite a few of you have taken exception to it.

I thought it was quite good, not top notch by any means but an amusing half hour of well written comedy. It definitely had it's moments