Doner Kebab meat - is it really that bad for you?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I generally eat relatively well / "healthily" (not that my definition of healthy is that well aligned with anyone else's) - and every now and again, I really enjoy tucking into a good old Doner Kebab.

There's something primevally satisfying about it; like you know you're eating the whole animal - let's make no bones about it - after all; when you watch lions and tigers devouring their pray you don't exactly see them stop to butcher their catch, remove the breast meat and then grill it, do you?

Comments

• ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, if it doesn't actually kill you, then it can't be that bad for you.

Excessive amounts of anything though, is bad for you. The odd kebab will do no harm.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you mean bog standard "Elephant Leg" doner meat that most takeaways would buy in wholesale then I would say yes, very. Although that doesn't stop me having one once in a while :D

Have you not taken a doner out of the fridge the next day and seen that it's all clumped together with congealed fat?

Here are some vids on the process :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKpH6Lzz-ug&feature=related

Ofcouse, there are different qualities ranging from the fully processed like in that clip or to fresh, homemade ones like on the Hairy Bikers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHvrkqMei4c&feature=fvw
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

:D

First time i've seen "elephant leg" production, doesn't look so bad to be honest!

Probably more bone going in there than i'd imagined - I think "better quality" elephant legs are produced with the equivalent of sand-blasting every last morsal of meat and connective tissue of the bones as possible; but ultimately bone ground that finely isn't going to hurt you - and if anything a bit of roughage going through your system every now and again isn't a bad thing...
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Have you not taken a doner out of the fridge the next day and seen that it's all clumped together with congealed fat?
    mmmmmmmm cold kebab the day after the night before!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    dsdjm wrote: »
    :D

First time i've seen "elephant leg" production, doesn't look so bad to be honest!

Probably more bone going in there than i'd imagined - I think "better quality" elephant legs are produced with the equivalent of sand-blasting every last morsal of meat and connective tissue of the bones as possible; but ultimately bone ground that finely isn't going to hurt you - and if anything a bit of roughage going through your system every now and again isn't a bad thing...
    There's always going to be different qualities.
    If you look through some of those youtube vids they range from cheap mass production quality, to medium mass production (gyro) to high quality, properly made like the Biker's prepare.
    mmmmmmmm cold kebab the day after the night before!
    no thanks, i always nuke it for a minute ;)
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with it at all, unless you're eating 3 or 4 a week in which case it's probably not great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Everything is fine in moderation, a doner kebab once in a while won't hurt :)