Options

What happened to the time lord

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
Forum Member
Now, I was a bit distracted but wasn't that what the whole episode was about?
They vanished from the random crack, came into the sky, shot new regenerations into the doctor and then left, but were to?
Are they still in the crack on trenzalore?

Also, Is that all the deleks that were there on the planet, how did they kill everyone else that was there on the planet with one ship that got wooped by the doctor and his shiny regeneration energy? Wouldn't more dales come once they realised that the ship got killed, resorting back to the same situation for the doctor?

It seems to me that all but the last 2 min or so were just filler and the writers didn't even try to explain what went on.

It's all good and well that he regenerated but that story made no sense what so ever, it was shit.

Comments

• Options
    D J KixD J Kix Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    user123456 wrote: »
    They vanished from the random crack

Oh dear.

The Christmas special was essentially the end of "Eleven"'s story, made up from years of build up. You might want to go back and watch through "Eleven"'s tenure, then things might make a little more sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D J Kix wrote: »
    Oh dear.

The Christmas special was essentially the end of "Eleven"'s story, made up from years of build up. You might want to go back and watch through "Eleven"'s tenure, then things might make a little more sense.

Um, no. Don't delude yourself. That story made no sense.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It made perfect sense to me. Perhaps you weren't paying attention?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    It made perfect sense to me. Perhaps you weren't paying attention?

Made perfect sense to me also
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except that it actually did.

If you pay attention, you enjoy Doctor Who a lot more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, so where did the time lords go?
    Is the crack still there?

Why wouldn't more dales come along once the existing ones die?
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It probably made a lot more sense to the converted, to the people who were totally immersed in the story. I watched tonight's episode and I enjoyed it, particularly the sad farewell moment at the end. But I did find the exposition a bit bewildering, and conceptually the whole thing was very whimsical. But that's what New Who is and it's not necessarily a bad thing. You've only to see the enormous international following this show is garnering to appreciate that it works.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *sigh* I'll bite.

Nowhere, they're where they always were.

It, or some other escape mechanism will return when the Time Lords feel the time is right (or they are otherwise able to attempt return).

They will, and they'll find the Doctor and Time Lords no longer there.

Sorry man, I think that this show really isn't the one for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member

To busy hosting Supermarket Sweep
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Time Lords realised that they couldn't return through the crack in Trenzalore so they closed it. They gave the Doctor a new set of regenerations in the hope that he would find a way to allow them to return.

The Daleks were only there as they knew the Time Lords were trying to return through there. Now they have abandoned that plan they have no reason to return.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    ... the timelords were lost, behind the crack in an alternate universe. If the doctor confirmed his identity by speaking his name they would take it as a sign that it is safe to break through. Now...

The doctor didn't speak his name, but they seemed impressed enough by Clara's testimony to reset the doctors regeneration cycle. The cracks closed so I assume they are gone for good now. The only thing is this implies gallifrey is now back, but it wasn't stated outright.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zeus wrote: »
    It probably made a lot more sense to the converted, to the people who were totally immersed in the story. I watched tonight's episode and I enjoyed it, particularly the sad farewell moment at the end. But I did find the exposition a bit bewildering, and conceptually the whole thing was very whimsical. But that's what New Who is and it's not necessarily a bad thing. You've only to see the enormous international following this show is garnering to appreciate that it works.

This is about right.
    It was ok to watch as you say but the story was just not there. It's not even that there were plot holes, there simply was no coherent storyline.
    I'm no Dr who geek, but they pretty much spent 55+ min of an hour episode portraying how the Dr was there to save Gallifrey and then it's all just forgotten?
    It seems many of you just had a nerdgasm and forgot the ongoing plot once he regenerated. What ended up happening to the crack/gallifrey/why didn't more deleks show up?
  • Options
    CylinderCylinder Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God there's some patronising people on here.

The writing lacked clarity.
    It's perfectly understandable why some folk found it puzzling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got it. The story is pretty weak at best and due to your blind love for the show, you forgive any crap they feed you and just go on assumptions you made up.

Your explanations still make little sense.
    - They could have just given him regenerations earlier, knowing his importance to them (they have 300+ years in which they couldn't think of something a 20-something old woman did in 30 sec)
    - It should have been fairly obvious they couldn't return through the early in the story

Going by those assumptions, the story was unnecessary.

Moffat needs to stick to Sherlock.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's Christmas Day, and I absolutely hate the idea of people starving out there today. Even trolls.
    I'm no Dr who geek, but they pretty much spent 55+ min of an hour episode portraying how the Dr was there to save Gallifrey and then it's all just forgotten?

Read the answers above. He spent around half a millennium *protecting* Gallifrey. Upon realising it was not the right time or place to return, the Time Lords made a tactical retreat.
    It seems many of you just had a nerdgasm and forgot the ongoing plot once he regenerated. What ended up happening to the crack/gallifrey/why didn't more deleks show up?

Once again, seems like this is not the show for you. Give up now.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got it. The story is pretty weak at best and due to your blind love for the show, you forgive any crap they feed you and just go on assumptions you made up.

Your explanations still make little sense.
    - They could have just given him regenerations earlier, knowing his importance to them (they have 300+ years in which they couldn't think of something a 20-something old woman did in 30 sec)
    - It should have been fairly obvious they couldn't return through the early in the story

Going by those assumptions, the story was unnecessary.

Moffat needs to stick to Sherlock.

I very much doubt that they wanted to give him the regenerations. He has always been a pain in their collective behinds. They would have happily returned without this measure.

What they have seen however is the Doctor continually win against all these enemies so they were hoping they could return without giving him the regenerations.

Time doesn't matter to them so they could wait it out. Clara's intervention meant that they realised that the wouldn't be returning that way.
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cylinder wrote: »
    God there's some patronising people on here.

The writing lacked clarity.
    It's perfectly understandable why some folk found it puzzling.

I actually didn't think ithe writing lacked clarity at all you know. I thought the writing was very clear and every single plot point was answered - what makes it difficult to follow at times is how many plot points were actually set up in previous episodes and arcs, and how quickly some of these were re-explained.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    I very much doubt that they wanted to give him the regenerations. He has always been a pain in their collective behinds. They would have happily returned without this measure.

What they have seen however is the Doctor continually win against all these enemies so they were hoping they could return without giving him the regenerations.

Time doesn't matter to them so they could wait it out. Clara's intervention meant that they realised that the wouldn't be returning that way.

True plus they realised if the Doctor died they would be screwed and never return.

Another thing how do we know how much time is passing for them 500+ years for The Doctor at this side of the crack may only be 10 minutes to The Time Lords at the other side of it
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...on the Fields of Trenzalore, at the fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked — a question that must never ever be answered: "Deleks and dales who?"
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    If the timelords retreated... why was this not pointed out? I had no idea whether they had returned or not.

And yes. I was paying attention.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The Time Lords realised that they couldn't return through the crack in Trenzalore so they closed it. They gave the Doctor a new set of regenerations in the hope that he would find a way to allow them to return.

The Daleks were only there as they knew the Time Lords were trying to return through there. Now they have abandoned that plan they have no reason to return.

Of course, I didn't think of that. Just because they closed the Trenzalore crack it doesn't means others aren't open through time and space.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the timelords retreated... why was this not pointed out? I had no idea whether they had returned or not.

And yes. I was paying attention.

They closed the crack in time; that's the sign of the retreat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the timelords retreated... why was this not pointed out?
    I had no idea whether they had returned or not.

EDIT: That last reply of mine was unfair, and I'm sorry.

But really? The crack closing and the non-appearance of Time Lords was not explanation enough?

EDIT 2: Was this even a serious comment? Or just a dig at all the ridiculousness being posted right now?