Options

Who was the 2nd longest tenured Companion?

Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It almost seems obvious to ask this after my other question. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that Sarah Jane counts as the longest, so who was the second longest?

Comments

• Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamie?
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure you are right about Sarah Jane being the longest. I definitely remember Captain Jack once claiming to be the longest companion of the Doctor by a large margin. In fact, I'm pretty sure he was bragging about the fact.
  • Options
    ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Jamie?

That's what I was thinking too ... 20 stories over 3 seasons, a total of 113 classic episodes (5 of which were 20 not 25 minutes - The Mind Robber)

I make that roughly 46hrs,40mins, not counting return appearances

:)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamie was the longest serving companion with 113 episodes (117 if you count the Two Doctors and his cameo in The Five Doctors)

Sarah Jane had an original run of 80 episodes although if you count The Five Doctors and her appearances in the revived series her total would be 85

Ian, Barbara and Jo Grant all had 77 episodes
  • Options
    GibbyBloggerGibbyBlogger Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    There's actually a large battle for the longest serving companion:

Jamie McCrimmon - In terms of consecutive individual episodes, Jamie McCrimmon is the easy winner with one hundred and thirteen episodes between "The Highlanders" and "The War Games".

Rose Tyler and Amy Pond - In terms of stories, given that BBC Wales has a much higher story count than the original series, the high water mark has so far been set by Rose Tyler, having been the primary companion for 31 episodes between series 1 and series 4, as well as several cameos and mini-episodes. This episode total has been matched by Amy Pond during her tenure from the start of series 5 to her departure in series 7. In addition, she has appearances in televised mini-episodes, DVD bonus features, web specials, The Adventure Games, and her cameos in "Closing Time" and "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe".

Tegan Jovanka and Sarah Jane Smith - In terms of calendar time that the public would have perceived a character as being a regular on Doctor Who, the winner is Tegan. She clocks in at three days shy of three years, from her first to last regular appearances. She only very narrowly defeats Sarah Jane, who is some six weeks shy of three years as a regular character. Note that calendar years are not the same thing as seasons, because Doctor Who did not begin its seasons on the same date each year (it should be noted, however, that Tegan and Sarah Jane are as of 2012 the only travelling companions to appear during four consecutive seasons as a regular).

Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart - It's entirely possible that some members of the viewing community regarded him as at least a kind of regular throughout all five seasons of Jon Pertwee's era. Although this isn't true from a contractual standpoint, he's still an incredibly long-serving member of the cast. Regular or not, the character appeared in more episodes of the programme than all of the 1980s Doctors except Tom Baker.

Amy Pond and Rory Williams - In terms of how long a companion has remained with the Doctor within the story, Amy Pond and Rory Williams seem to hold the record, having travelled with the Doctor on and off for roughly 10 years of their lives. Amy and Rory started their adventures with the Doctor at about 21 in "The Eleventh Hour", and were in their early thirties by the time of "The Angels Take Manhattan".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAMIE McCRIMMON: Doctor, Look at my massive episode count.

2nd DOCTOR: Yes Jamie, It is a BIG one.

:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Brigadier Sir Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart - It's entirely possible that some members of the viewing community regarded him as at least a kind of regular throughout all five seasons of Jon Pertwee's era. Although this isn't true from a contractual standpoint, he's still an incredibly long-serving member of the cast. Regular or not, the character appeared in more episodes of the programme than all of the 1980s Doctors except Tom Baker.

If we're going to involve the Brig in this conversation then Corporal/Sgt/RSM Benton should be involved as well :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's possibly Romana. Being a Time Lord, she could have possibly stayed with the Doctor for decades before she left for E-space.

I still think K9 traveled with the Doctor longer than anyone else though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    I still think K9 traveled with the Doctor longer than anyone else though.

Which one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shoppy wrote: »
    Which one?

Second one, since Four built him right after Leela took the first one. I'm guessing at the very least the Doctor had him for a week before Romana showed up.

Though, I just count them as one K9, since it really didn't make a difference that there were two robot dogs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    Though, I just count them as one K9, since it really didn't make a difference that there were two robot dogs.

I reckon it does, I mean, Romana counts as one because the first Romana wasn't off doing something else when the second one travelled with The Doctor. unlike K9.
    Haven't mkI and mkII actually met in the audios?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon it does, I mean, Romana counts as one because the first Romana wasn't off doing something else when the second one travelled with The Doctor. unlike K9.

Yes, but K9 is a computer. I wouldn't be surprised if the Doctor just uploaded save data from the original K9 into the new one. K9 MRKI most likely has all the memories of K9 MRKI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Lies_(audio_story)

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Spirit_(audio_story)

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Reborn

Romana II has recently a future incarnation of herself played by Juliet Landau aka Drusilla from Buffy The Vampire Slayer

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Renaissance_(audio_story)

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Ascension_(audio_story)
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I'm old enough to remember them all! So without searching through wikipedia and all those tedious statistics....I shall give my verdict on the matter through my trusty brain (:o:o) :-

I reckon Jamie was the longest lasting character. He stayed with Doctor 2 for all but one of his adventures!
    I think Sarah Jane did well through the last year of Jon Pertwee, then developed a long-standing relationship with his new-look!!
    Maybe Tegan comes a close third - one serial with Tom B and almost three with Dr Peter!
    No-one else lasted longer than that in the 80's.

That's simply how I remember them! That's what counts :)
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So based on years (rather than episodes) is "Handles" the longest serving Companion now?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Clara is the longest spent at least some time all 13 incarnations