Shane Filan first album as solo artist, your thoughts?

Comments

• coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zeze88 wrote: »
    I think radio plays also a big role in the UK BUT it is important which radio stations do support you - having support from Radio 2 doesn't mean a lot.

I doubt Radio 1 will ever support a Westlife member as they never supported Westlife either... I mean, think about it just from Mark's situation: his song was very modern and contemporary and yet they still ignored the song. Had Sam Smith released it, they would have played it 24/7. That is a sad truth I am afraid...

sad truth, my question, will there be some one who has a big influence in the music industry or radio 1 to be specific who can back shane filan or markus up?
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coun3spice wrote: »
    sad truth, my question, will there be some one who has a big influence in the music industry or radio 1 to be specific who can back shane filan or markus up?

I really don't know. That would definitely be nice though...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't know. That would definitely be nice though...

is louis walsh not that enough to talk to someone from radio 1? I wonder WAS SIMON COWELL NOT ENOUGH back then to influence radio 1 back then to back westlife up in radio 1
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see the picture of Shane in the studio recording album two. :)

I've been listening to Always Tomorrow and Knee Deep In My Heart a lot recently. Such catchy, happy tunes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, there has been a lot of photos of Shane recording which is great.

While I really like his debut, I hope the new one will be more edgier, contemporary, modern. That will give him a better chance of bigger success.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to let you know, that Irish show Patty Kenny in the Round that Shane will appear will be aired on Monday on UTV Ireland at 21:00 hours.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked Shane when he was in Westlife but his debut album is a decent surprise so much so i bought it - bright uplifting and not a dud song on there.
  • woodlandswoodlands Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, there has been a lot of photos of Shane recording which is great.

While I really like his debut, I hope the new one will be more edgier, contemporary, modern. That will give him a better chance of bigger success.

Has he now switched labels?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodlands wrote: »
    Has he now switched labels?

Yes, he is now with Warner Bros. label.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he is now with Warner Bros. label.

What happened there then - was he dropped after one album? Not sure that a new label will increase his chances of a better selling album, if he couldn't do it with his first one. I really don't think he has had the level of success that Louis Walsh first predicted for him, so I wonder how long it will be before Louis starts pushing for a Westlife reunion tour - won't be too long I recon!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't reported but I presume he was dropped, yes. I am not surprised he isn't doing very well saleswise because his current sound is just too safe and mellow, he needs to up his game for the second album. BUT I wouldn't call his career a total flop since he did sell out his concerts and had a solid success with the album in Asia.

Also, no matter how much Louis will want for the boys to reuinite, it will happen on their terms. I think the reunion will not happen so soon, we still have Mark's and Nicky's debut to hear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't reported but I presume he was dropped, yes. I am not surprised he isn't doing very well saleswise because his current sound is just too safe and mellow, he needs to up his game for the second album. BUT I wouldn't call his career a total flop since he did sell out his concerts and had a solid success with the album in Asia.

Also, no matter how much Louis will want for the boys to reuinite, it will happen on their terms. I think the reunion will not happen so soon, we still have Mark's and Nicky's debut to hear.

2018, i hope! their 20th anniversary

boyzone just had a wonderful asian tour, to be specific in my country, sold out concert everyone just became nostalgic that's why they also soar in itunes.

because of that some are rooting also for westlife to reunite and have a concert too. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coun3spice wrote: »
    2018, i hope! their 20th anniversary

boyzone just had a wonderful asian tour, to be specific in my country, sold out concert everyone just became nostalgic that's why they also soar in itunes.

because of that some are rooting also for westlife to reunite and have a concert too. :)

Yes, 2018 would be a good year but even 2022 - 10 years since they split. I think 2022 is more likely actually, everybody will have a good taste of solo careers by then, maybe Kian will release an original 2nd album since he actually planned to do it now but postponed it because of Jodi being pregnant again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't call his career a total flop since he did sell out his concerts and had a solid success with the album in Asia.

It depends what got his solo fans to the tour - his new material or a chance to hear him sing Westlife songs. Until he can hold his own with his own material his solo career can'[t be described as a complete success. Louis said he would be the biggest solo male star to come out of Ireland - and he barely matched the success Brian had yet alone Ronan! Lets face it if Shane can't do it what chance does Nicky have?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodlands wrote: »
    It depends what got his solo fans to the tour - his new material or a chance to hear him sing Westlife songs. Until he can hold his own with his own material his solo career can'[t be described as a complete success. Louis said he would be the biggest solo male star to come out of Ireland - and he barely matched the success Brian had yet alone Ronan! Lets face it if Shane can't do it what chance does Nicky have?

I think it is mixture of both. Plus even when he manages to have a full setlist of his own songs, I am sure he will always sing a few of Westlife hits because he loves them. Just to point out, he sings more original work than Westlife catalog - 10 originals and 8 Westlife songs so I guess the fans are really interested in his solo work.

Also, don't take Louis words so serious, he simply said that to make a hype around Shane, that is what he does, even if he is telling a lie, I'm sure he wasn't thinking it will come true. I mean, he is the one who said he will be another Michael Buble and yet his sound can't be more different. Louis is simply a big talker.

And like I said plenty of times here - I truly think it should be taken into a consideration that all of Westlife boys are starting solo after 14 years in the boyband, they aren't Ronan, Robbie, Justin or Brian who went solo at the peak of their boybands - all of the boys will struggle. Just look at Mark, he has done everything right but he just can't catch a break...

Plus, who knows - maybe Nicky will be more successful than all of the other WL boys because he is very likable and has a great personality AND he has his own radio show so he is in the spotlight every day. At the end of the day, we know that voice isn't the most important and he is making his own original songs - so I wouldn't write off Nicky just yet. You just can't know with ex boybanders, very few became truly successful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been searching everywhere to find that show Shane had an interview but so far nothing. But UTV Ireland posted a 5 minute clip of Shane answering fan questions:

https://www.facebook.com/UTVIreland/videos/949195618465709/

What I find most interesting is that he will have a duet om his next album, that is great!
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think radio plays also a big role in the UK BUT it is important which radio stations do support you - having support from Radio 2 doesn't mean a lot.

I doubt Radio 1 will ever support a Westlife member as they never supported Westlife either... I mean, think about it just from Mark's situation: his song was very modern and contemporary and yet they still ignored the song. Had Sam Smith released it, they would have played it 24/7. That is a sad truth I am afraid...

The most popular radio station in the UK doesn't mean anything? It might not have a big impact on singles but albums is a different matter. Loads of acts in the current album chart are played by Radio 2. Will Young has been played a lot by Radio 2 recently and he's got the number 1 album this week. Brandon Flowers was heavily pushed by 2 and he had last week's number 1 album. Not spotted those two on Radio 1 much!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    The most popular radio station in the UK doesn't mean anything? It might not have a big impact on singles but albums is a different matter. Loads of acts in the current album chart are played by Radio 2. Will Young has been played a lot by Radio 2 recently and he's got the number 1 album this week. Brandon Flowers was heavily pushed by 2 and he had last week's number 1 album. Not spotted those two on Radio 1 much!

Well, I was mostly talking about the singles so it is good to know that it helps with the albums. Plus, I do think singles are sometimes more important because they push the album - Shane was at no. 7 in the first week which is actually not bad at all but then he completely disappeared and sold 60K of the album altogether which can be considered as a flop.

Plus, Flowers and Young are still interesting artists to the public so it is not surprising they did good albumwise - all of Young's albums were either no. 1 or no.2 in UK charts, his last album was no. 1, while Flowers also had both of his solo albums at no. 1 in the UK. Therefore, I presume they would both still be successful even without the heavy support from Radio 2.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there Irish fans here who could download the Pat Kenny episode from this website and then upload it somewhere? I would do that myself but it doesn't let me view this...

http://player.utv.ie/programme/pat-kenny-in-the-round/477906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here is article about Shane signing a new record deal:

http://www.goss.ie/2015/06/exclusive-shane-filan-recoding-second-solo-album-as-he-signs-record-deal-with-warner-music/

Its great that he is signed with a label that also supports Ed Sheeran and Coldplay. I really hope his 2nd album will be better and therefore more successful than the debut.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YES, Shane's show has been uploaded to Youtube:

https://youtu.be/YKE3lHWMqkg

Enjoy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling I am talking to myself for a while but I'll post it anyway :D

Shane tweeted this today:

To keep up to date with all of the latest news from Shane, please join his brand new mailing list at:

http://smarturl.it/ShaneFilanSignUp

So maybe that means we will hear some news soon, I do remember he did write few of those last year while he was setting up his debut album.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be looking forward to hearing more from Shane. :)

I don't think it's realistic to expect a massive selling album, and I don't think he's expecting that to happen - it's a completely different market out there to back in the days, it's not as popular as it was, it's not going to make headlines. But nothing will change the fact that he has a beautiful, note-perfect voice, the ability to sing catchy tunes which are easy to listen to and sing along to, and most importantly, he's able to make the music that he likes and is happy with and to get involved with writing.

In all honesty, I really, really hope Westlife don't have a reunion (and I can't see it happening for a long while anyway). As much as I love them and would be thrilled to see them perform again (although it is bittersweet for me - they announced their split 6 weeks after my mum died and I cried because I wanted to tell her that she wouldn't have to miss out on the concerts with me. I went to their last O2 gig alone, and it was very fitting for me). But they were not happy in the last few years. You could see that they still enjoyed being on tour and performing live and having fun, but with the music it was so obvious that they weren't enjoying it anymore. I think it was their 2008 tour when I first noticed it. It was the only time I have come out of a Westlife concert bored - they went on their year off after that tour, and to be honest they needed it. They lost interest and motivation, they didn't want to be doing it anymore. Which is fair enough - 14 years on, they had families, children, they want to do other things. Whether they are successful in solo careers or not, if they are happy then good for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree on everything you said. Of course it won't be huge album for Shane but as long as he is happy with his career and that he enjoys writing so much, then its great. Plus, album sales are horrible in the UK these days anyway when you can get to no. 1 with 20K sold. During Westlife, 130-150K was the norm for 1st week. Its sad really.

And like you, I also don't want a reunion so fast since they are all enjoying their thing - Nicky is having a very successful radio show and also recording, Kian is doing TV and Mark is slowly building his career. It is just not the time but I do think they will come back one day. They definitely ended at right time, I really think they would start to hate each other had they stayed - it is very clear from Shane's book they were just miserable in the last few years. I do think some of that also comes from their constant fights and rejection from the record company though so IF they do come back, I do hope they stay clear from Syco - I will never ever forgive Simon for how he mistreated them in the last few years.

If they decide to come back, I would like to see them combine their creativity that they obviously have and make a completely original album they will be proud of.

When it comes to Shane, I do think however a more edgier, more pop/rock album would maybe give him a little more success than he has now, which is what I think he is doing now. Plus, I am very interested with whom he will duet - someone popular could open doors for him - it is proven time and time again that you basically need just that one song that will launch your career.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its been confirmed that Shane will do a concert at Total Access Live on 15th of August.

I do wonder will he will sing a new song, that would be great...