Options

Is landlord responsible for replacing broken shower?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
Forum Member
Our tenant has lived in the house since January 2013 and since then we have replaced the oven and are in the process of replacing the front door, which has a broken glass panel, caused by them.
Also a while ago they said there was a gas leak and when investigated by our contractor, it was discovered they had put a nail through the gas pipe whilst decorating!
They are now saying the shower has suddenly stopped working and are asking us to replace it. The shower was approximately 18 months old and in perfect working order when they moved in.
I have looked online and cannot determine who is responsible for replacing the shower, all I can find is information about the water supple etc but nothing is mentioned about showers.
Does anyone know if we have to replace the shower or is the tenant responsible?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Our tenant has lived in the house since January 2013 and since then we have replaced the oven and are in the process of replacing the front door, which has a broken glass panel, caused by them.
    Also a while ago they said there was a gas leak and when investigated by our contractor, it was discovered they had put a nail through the gas pipe whilst decorating!
    They are now saying the shower has suddenly stopped working and are asking us to replace it. The shower was approximately 18 months old and in perfect working order when they moved in.
    I have looked online and cannot determine who is responsible for replacing the shower, all I can find is information about the water supple etc but nothing is mentioned about showers.
    Thanks in advance.

Sorry but it is the landlords responsiblity were the broken glass panal was not, and because they caused the gas leak, that was also their responsiblity to pay for that repair.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is responsible for what should be broadly defined in the lease, but it would be highly unusual for a tenant to be responsible for equipment in the property provided by you that has failed unless you can prove that they damaged it.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    For damage they caused I trust you've told them it will be coming out of their bond
  • Options
    dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you not have a tenancy agreement in place that you could refer to?

Seems very strange that you'd let a property to someone without knowing the legal details.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    If the shower is only 18 months old it is likely still covered by the manufacturers guarantee.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I rented, our electric shower broke and the LL never fixed it so we used the shower attachment on the taps instead.

The tenants sound like a nightmare but sometimes bad luck plays a part. In the house I rented before buying, the oven, the washing machine, the heating and the hot water ALL packed in within about 2 weeks of each other. Over Christmas as well which wasn't nice. The hob stopped working properly as well but we felt so bad we just put up with that one.
  • Options
    EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would suggest that the shower should be fixed as it was already there when the tenant moved in. Local housing association landlords will not fix a shower if the tenant has fitted their own shower. They will only fix it if they themselves have fitted it for example for a person with reduced mobility ( Walk in shower).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Thank you all for your helpful replies, we are quite happy to pay for a new shower , it's just that we were not sure if it was our responsibility.

tim59 - we are replacing the door because it did 'stick' a bit when they moved in. As for the gas leak, we added the cost to their rent.

dellzincht - Did you not have a tenancy agreement in place that you could refer to?
    Seems very strange that you'd let a property to someone without knowing the legal details.

We do have a tenancy agreement but there is nothing specific to determine responsibility.

Thanks again all.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Quite a few of the Triton showers are only guaranteed on normal warranty for one year. They're really cheap things. The reason I asked the landlord to deal with it wasn't to do with the price of the shower - it was because I know nothing about plumbing and I didn't want to take the responsibility for making sure a new appliance was correctly fitted. (It's why I don't mind replacing the bits that aren't directly connected to the wall at my own cost.)

Obviously if the OP has splashed out on an expensive shower that's different and hopefully the warranty is longer than a year.
    I think you will find Triton electric showers are guaranteed two years and conventional and power showers for five years
    I have just had a letter through saying I can extend the guarantee if I want from Triton
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My landlord replaced the shower when it broke (neither of us questioned whose responsibility it was).

I buy new showerheads and the link thing (the bit that connects the applicance on the wall to the showerhead - I don't know what it's called :blush: ) every so often (I've been in the flat 15 years). ........................................................

Do you mean the shower hose?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks in advance.

No idea about the shower, but as a tenant, I'd expect the glass panel and nail through gas pipe to come out of my deposit...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you checked that the shower can't just be repaired, rather than replaced? It may be something relatively minor.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few of the Triton showers are only guaranteed on normal warranty for one year. They're really cheap things.
    Mine's one of the cheapest and it's still going strong after at least 15 years. I live in a very hard water area as well.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »
    Have you checked that the shower can't just be repaired, rather than replaced? It may be something relatively minor.

Who's going to repair it?. Tradesman call out charge, plus hourly rate, you can buy a new one cheaper. If it was there when tenant moved in ,Landlord has to replace or repair.
    My daughter let her new house when posted overseas, Letting Agent advised, remove All Curtain rails and towel rails because if they came down or unstable the Landlord was responsible to put everything right. I know this for a fact as I got landed with taking them down. Most annoying as I had only put them up 3 months earlier.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »

I was going to suggest this. We are landlords but luckily my husband does most of the repairs himself as he's in the trade. Often showers just need de scaling and the head cleaning.

Our tenants just ring us if there's a problem and we deal with it immediately. theyre great tenants so we look after them.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be your job as the LL to fix it as it's part of the supplied fixtures and fittings

Now it could be a cheap fix aka the breaker to the shower if its an electric power shower has tripped and pop it back on and job done or the heads so scaled over all you need is a bowl and some vinegar etc so check out what the problem really is before going in and ripping stuff off the walls