Options

Hotel dispute

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there,

In March I booked an apartment which couldn't be cancelled through Booking.com for the end of July . The booking didn't go through and it said on the website my card wasn't accepted as it wasnt a valid credit card . So I booked a differnt hotel instead on a different website. But then yesterday I got an email from booking.com confirming my modified booking and they had taken 280pounds out my account! I phoned the hotel straight away and explained to them what had happened and they appeared understanding and said they would email me this morning, which they did, but all it said was that my booking was still there and that I would have to phone booking.com. So I phoned booking.com and they said that I had updated my card details yesterday and that's why it's been confirmed? Even though I don't have an account with them or even been on their site since March! They phoned the apartment for me and said the manager won't be in till tomorrow so will phone me back tomorrow. I'm just really worried because I only got paid yesterday and I paid off all my bills plus extra and booked a holiday and now Iv been left with no money and feel like I'm just being fobbed off. I tried calling the bank to cancel the transaction but they couldn't do it. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get in touch with the credit card company and say you think that an unauthorized payment has been taken and ask them to block it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I used my debit card to secure the hotel which is why the booking wasn't valid I think because it's not a credit card . I called the bank to stop the payment but they where unable to block it
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I used my debit card to secure the hotel which is why the booking wasn't valid I think because it's not a credit card . I called the bank to stop the payment but they where unable to block it

They might not have been able to block the payment because it has already gone through. But you could ask if they can do a chargeback, which in very crude terms is taking the payment out of the recipients account and putting it back in yours. Though there is no guarantee they will be able to do this.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I phoned booking.com and they said that I had updated my card details yesterday and that's why it's been confirmed?

Have you any idea what they mean by this? Did they refuse to accept your card, and then suddenly charge you the full payment on the same card?

I'm not sure how that could happen. Normally the "system" doesn't remember enough of your card details to allow a charge to be made without your agreement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Have you any idea what they mean by this? Did they refuse to accept your card, and then suddenly charge you the full payment on the same card?

I'm not sure how that could happen. Normally the "system" doesn't remember enough of your card details to allow a charge to be made without your agreement.

Yeah that's what appears to have happened. They said I updated my booking account yesterday , but that didn't happen. I haven't been on that site since March and I don't have an account to update any details, plus I have the same card, so not sure how I could have updated it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that's what appears to have happened. They said I updated my booking account yesterday , but that didn't happen. I haven't been on that site since March and I don't have an account to update any details, plus I have the same card, so not sure how I could have updated it

If that's the case it sounds like they have messed up.

If you use the analogy of the shopping basket that most internet sites use, you put your shopping in your basket and went to the checkout, but the shop didn't accept your card. But instead of putting your shopping back on the shelf, the shop scanned it again after you'd left the store and charged you anyway.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest you wait until tomorrow and see what booking.com has to say. Though I've never used them, I believe they have a very good reputation.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it gets sorted out,very quickly
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could sell the apartment booking to a friend or relative maybe and they could use the apartment instead.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The other booking you did, you didn't make it with any of the following companies did you:-

Agoda, Priceline.com or Kayak...I only ask because they are all owned by the same company as booking.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    The other booking you did, you didn't make it with any of the following companies did you:-

Agoda, Priceline.com or Kayak...I only ask because they are all owned by the same company as booking.com
    No im sure the other booking was through late rooms.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no further forward. I phoned booking.com today again and they agreed that shouldn't have happened and have been very helpful each time ive spoken to them. The lady put me on hold while she spoke to the hotel. Once she got back on the phoned to me she said the person she spoke to was very abrupt and agitated and said he was aware of the situation but wouldn't disclose any information to her and said he would send her an email shortly and everything will be in that? She said once she's recieved the email she will call me back. This is the third day and I'm still no further forward. Is it worthwhile phoneing citizens advice?
  • Options
    Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how does a not valid cc become a valid cc ?!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no further forward. I phoned booking.com today again and they agreed that shouldn't have happened and have been very helpful each time ive spoken to them. The lady put me on hold while she spoke to the hotel. Once she got back on the phoned to me she said the person she spoke to was very abrupt and agitated and said he was aware of the situation but wouldn't disclose any information to her and said he would send her an email shortly and everything will be in that? She said once she's recieved the email she will call me back. This is the third day and I'm still no further forward. Is it worthwhile phoneing citizens advice?

The agreement is between you and booking.com.
    The hotel is not part of the contract between you.
    If the hotel has been paid that's between booking.com and them.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I used my debit card to secure the hotel which is why the booking wasn't valid I think because it's not a credit card .

I accidentally did this once on Booking.com. They still accepted my debit card, even though it was a credit card only booking, so I presume they speak to the hotel to OK it. That will be why your booking will have been 'updated'. Although they obviously messed up in taking so long to accept your payment. They're a good company though so they should refund you I hope.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use my debit card all the time on bookings.com . Nevet had a problem with it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So im not getting a refund . If they are able to get the room filled at that date then I will get a refund. I'm quite unhappy and upset about this. I have been left with no money
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So im not getting a refund . If they are able to get the room filled at that date then I will get a refund. I'm quite unhappy and upset about this. I have been left with no money

can you cancel the other hotel ?

I booked with them last year and then had to cancel it cos I realised the place I had booked wasn't suitable. I cancelled it online with them and they refunded me and I booked elsewhere.

there was no problem cancelling as it had free cancellation cover
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this doesn't help the OP but in general most hotels now say you can get the best deal by booking directly with them instead of using a third party site. I've had the impression that some hotels are suspicious of booking.com; I once arrived at a French hotel and the manager asked me why I had booked through booking.com in Italy. I couldn't understand it myself as I had actually booked through a reputable British travel firm who had never mentioned using booking.com when I called them.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The agreement is between you and booking.com.
    The hotel is not part of the contract between you.
    If the hotel has been paid that's between booking.com and them.

Incorrect Booking.com act as an agent only, and in their terms & conditions state this, your contract is with the accommodation provider and not Booking.com, this is actually the same with most of these type of booking sites.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    They might not have been able to block the payment because it has already gone through. But you could ask if they can do a chargeback, which in very crude terms is taking the payment out of the recipients account and putting it back in yours. Though there is no guarantee they will be able to do this.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/how-do-i-use-chargeback
    Yes, you should apply to your bank for a chargeback, then the company will have 14 days to justify it's charge otherwise it will be reversed.
    I think it is also rather dubious that they have retained your 3 digit number from the back of the card. I thought that is not permissible and may be persuasive for your case.

http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/business/existing-customers/chargebacks-and-retrievals#tabbox0

Why do chargebacks happen?
    There are a number of common reasons why chargebacks occur:

You, or your customer, have made an error at the point of sale, such as using an expired card.
    The transaction was not authorised.