dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its interesting how americans change the name Katie to KD
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am British and have never pronounced lieutenant any way other than how it appears - loo - tenant. I think a lot of ordinary British people do so as well. I always thought of 'left tenant' as being a sort of snobby way to pronounce it anyway. With global communication as it is I think the evolution of language will accelerate and obvious 'errors' (as saying the French word 'lieu' - as in our phrase - 'in lieu of' - and which we notably never say as 'in left of') will gradually disappear.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    You should hear what they do to solder, primer, herbs, Edinburgh and Wimbledon: sorder, primmer, 'erbs, Edinburrow and Wimbleton.:)
    sjp07 wrote: »
    What Americans are you talking to? I have never heard someone say primmer and I have lived here my entire life. Also, why would anyone say Edinburrow when we say Pittsburgh and anything else with a burgh just fine? Wimbledon with a t? What? The only of these pronunciations I've heard is the herb one. The h is silent, just like in hour, heir, honest, and honor. The only time we use the hard h on herb is if it's short for Herbert. Maybe it is because I'm from California, though and we have what is typically referred to as the California "non accent"
    I've heard that one before. The chef Anthony Bourdain who is from NJ/NY pronounces it like that.
    He also pronounces Marlboro as Marlburrow
    So there's one example to start off with :D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've heard that one before. The chef Anthony Bourdain who is from NJ/NY pronounces it like that.
    He also pronounces Marlboro as Marlburrow
    So there's one example to start off with :D
    Found another one.
    Clare Danes, or her character, in Homeland pronounced it Edinburrow