Wayward Pines

Comments

• purpleshadow1purpleshadow1 Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this show but wished it was on Netflix so I could watch all back to back tonight!
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bet Juliette Lewis isn't dead. There has to be a twist.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Looked pretty dead to me however you never know! Maybe she's in on it too.
  • ati_qtimportaati_qtimporta Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Maybe an hallucination?:confused:
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is what i was thinking. I wonder if she'll turn up and have no memory of what happened ?.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really invested in this show. Primarily, the pacing and writing isn't great. Also, the acting by Dillion and Howard feels half-hearted. But I can tolerate it because I want to know what's happening.

As for the plot. I'm thinking there might be a time gap between the wife & kid and where Dillion's character is at. Not sure if that means he's been missing for ages or he's long dead.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Enjoying the show, especially the misdirection comparing it to Twin Peaks, when it's actually much more like an updated US based Prisoner.
    Forum Member
    The books are pretty hard to get aswell. Waterstones don't have them at all.

I think the whole past thing plays into it. As soon as something happens it automatically becomes the "past".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Looked pretty dead to me however you never know! Maybe she's in on it too.
    Maybe an hallucination?:confused:
    This is what i was thinking. I wonder if she'll turn up and have no memory of what happened ?.

It wouldn't surprise me if she's in on it. Or if it's all one big dream and she'll turn up in the shower. :D
    Forum Member
    Juliette Lewis in the shower? Oh yeah. Washing her legs. Then her country accent.'Howdy partner, wanna scub my booty?'. :D

I think if i was doing it I'd do it differently. I'd have the town a little bit bigger and have areas where the cameras can't see or hear or do what they did there and have them take out there chips and then i'd have things like people living in basements or abandoned buildings or something and they can talk freely about what's happened and they want to get out so they kind of are in the town but no one knows were they are and maybe some go out into the world every so often just to keep up appearances. I don't know. There's a lot of different directions the show could go in. Food and drink is also a big question mark. If there is no way in or out then how do they get that stuff and how did the doctor appear in the real world? Or was that a different time altogether?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Juliette Lewis in the shower? Oh yeah. Washing her legs. Then her country accent.'Howdy partner, wanna scub my booty?'. :D

I think if i was doing it I'd do it differently. I'd have the town a little bit bigger and have areas where the cameras can't see or hear or do what they did there and have them take out there chips and then i'd have things like people living in basements or abandoned buildings or something and they can talk freely about what's happened and they want to get out so they kind of are in the town but no one knows were they are and maybe some go out into the world every so often just to keep up appearances. I don't know. There's a lot of different directions the show could go in. Food and drink is also a big question mark. If there is no way in or out then how do they get that stuff and how did the doctor appear in the real world? Or was that a different time altogether?

It seems to be one big government experiment judging from the conversation between the FBI guy and the government official in episode 1.
    Forum Member
    I think the wife and kid will end up there too. The question mark for me is the sheriff. He seems to control everything but all those people could easily outnumber him so why are they kept in line? No one man in reality could control all those people so why not take him down and kill him? Maybe that's too come but if it is all an experiment then there would need to be good reasoning for it for people to believe it.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    This is right up my street...really enjoyed the first two episodes.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the wife and kid will end up there too. The question mark for me is the sheriff. He seems to control everything but all those people could easily outnumber him so why are they kept in line? No one man in reality could control all those people so why not take him down and kill him? Maybe that's too come but if it is all an experiment then there would need to be good reasoning for it for people to believe it.

Most of them seem "conditioned" though. There were some who clearly weren't happy at the execution, but others who seemed quite pleased - his old partner and her husband being two obvious ones.

I suppose that's how everyone is kept in line by seemingly one man - they're all afraid that the whole town will come after them.

I do hope this doesn't venture in to 'Under the Dome' territory though, with aliens turning up or some kind of weird god-like involvement, although, to be fair, with the possible Truman Show aspect of it, that would actually sit fairly logically in to the story overall.
    Forum Member
    I think when we see him escape and they show the fences, i had to turn my brightness up slightly but it clearly shows the world around or at least the forests so there's nothing to lead us to believe this isn't happening on Earth. It's made us see that these fences are keeping them in and when he tries to escape it's the Sheriff who comes after him, again alone. The Sheriff seems to be in charge of everything. There must be more to it. It can't just be the threat of him. There must be something where something happens if they try and kill him or take him down.

The other reason I think Beverly might not have been killed is because we see the other detective lying on the bed, clearly been rotting there for a while and Ethan says he looks like he was tortured. Beverly says he had his throat cut in front of the whole town. Right there there's two different things going on. When he was first asking about Beverly and people said they didn't know who she was, the bar guy said only I work here, no one else. Is Beverly maybe already dead at that point and this is him seeing visions of what happened to her and when they say they don't know who she is..........because she's dead that means she's IN THE PAST and part of the rules are you do not TALK ABOUT THE PAST.

But then his partner and her husband clearly seen her when they invited them for dinner so I dunno....it's weird. Clearly there's a time warp thing going on aswell. It wouldn't surprise me if she did end up there in 1999, him in 2014 and if his wife and kid end up there it might be many years in the future.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the wife and kid will end up there too.

I get the impression her somewhat improbable quest to find her husband herself will become a sort of parallel strand of events, as her efforts uncover some suggestions as to his whereabouts, while his do likewise separately. I think when their 'investigations' converge is when there'll be a revelation for both.

Word of warning for the spoiler-averse, avoid the book author's website; the main page synopses for the three books gives it all away.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the first two episodes and was hooked instantly.

I am glad this is just a one off series. Because i feel there will be a start, middle and end. No need to drag it out for multiple seasons and become tedious. Like Under The Dome.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't read any spoilers from the books anyway although i did read a few people who had them comment. One person said they were surprised Beverly died so quickly and they must be firing their way through the books because of how much has happened so far and another person said everything is about right and it's going at a steady pace.

Who knows. It would be nice to have it wrapped up in 1 or 2 seasons.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    As for the plot. I'm thinking there might be a time gap between the wife & kid and where Dillion's character is at. Not sure if that means he's been missing for ages or he's long dead.
    I agree. If that was really them he saw in hospital, they can't also be back home outside. It's possible half of them are robots like in Stepford Wives, but more likely there's a time gap. My current working hypothesis is that they are collected after near-fatal accidents and kept in storage until they can be revived. Beverly said her accident was in 1999 and she'd been there a year, so she'd been asleep about 14 years more than the hero. His ex-girlfriend has apparently been there 8 years (and her hair had grown so she'd surely been there far longer than the few weeks since he thinks he last saw her), so she'd spend less time asleep. There's no way of knowing how far into the future they are, although we've seen no advanced technology yet. Beverly said she'd seen no aeroplanes flying over in a year, which suggests maybe the rest of civilisation is gone.
    The question mark for me is the sheriff. He seems to control everything but all those people could easily outnumber him so why are they kept in line?
    It looks like some of them are going along with it because they are scared of the others (even if the others are thinking the same). Presumably some of them are stooges. If the ex-girlfriend has truly been here for 8 years, then it'll be hard to say how compliance was instilled in them when it started.

I doubt it's the sheriff who monitors all the microphones and cameras and trackers, so there must be more power behind the scenes.

To be honest I'm finding it a bit of a chore to watch.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to be one big government experiment judging from the conversation between the FBI guy and the government official in episode 1.

Because I like poring over the semiotics as much as the makers love to include them, take another careful look at that scene..

Given how much takes place after the truth of the Town is revealed (in the books), chances are it won't be long before the town's secret is revealed for viewers too.

Spoilered comment is about possible inspiration for the books -
    There's a classic Sci-Fi book this story owes a huge debt to.
    One by HG Wells, adapted for film twice.
    Just lose the titular technology - but not the setting or looming danger.
    Forum Member
    I hope things move along quickly. I'm looking forward to this weeks episode.
  • Fair_DoosFair_Doos Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    2 episodes in and I'm hooked. No idea what's going on but looks like it's going to be like lost, prisoner and twin peaks in one show.

So what's everyone's theory on what's going on? I'm thinking some kind of government experiment, or alien involvement or even both.

Can't wait to find out!
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you watching on Sky Atlantic or at "US pace"?

There's already a thread for US pace: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2029187
    Forum Member
    I'm watching it on fox in UK. Thursday nights. Will be third episode tomorrow. That's for the link.
    Forum Member
    *thanks for the link even 😀