Why have albums commercially just died?

FoamFoam Posts: 145
Forum Member
Looking at the best selling albums of 2015 so far a large percentage of them are just left overs from last year. The top three are Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran and George Ezra which is the same top three as 2014.

Is it because there is a lack of mainstream alternative artists around who used to do very well in the album market and today's biggest music trend is dance music which never does much in album sales?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think it has a lot to do with the way we listen to music these days, ever since we bought our first iPod the way in which we enjoy our music has changed. People tend to "cherry pick" their favourite tracks rather than buy the whole album.
    In the old days you had to purchase the whole album - now you don't, you can just download or stream the tracks you like.
    Services such as Spotify have divorced us from actually owning music in the way we did.

There are other factors as well, maybe there just has not been that BIG release so far ?
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    The rise of iTunes in 2007 was when albums started to suffer. From that point onwards people could just cherry pick their favourite songs off albums.

It also doesn't help when artists release a new album and there are 3 or 4 obvious singles amongst a sea of filler. So why buy an album with 12 songs when chances are you're only going like 3/4 songs.

Also like the above points, streaming has completely changed the way people overall consume music.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    The rise of iTunes in 2007 was when albums started to suffer. From that point onwards people could just cherry pick their favourite songs off albums.

It also doesn't help when artists release a new album and there are 3 or 4 obvious singles amongst a sea of filler. So why buy an album with 12 songs when chances are you're only going like 3/4 songs.

Also like the above points, streaming has completely changed the way people overall consume music.

I think you have to be careful of making such sweeping statements because streaming affects some grnres far more than others. For "Urban" music, for example, Hip-hop, Rap, etc, that is undoubtedly true, but I wouldn't say it has had the same impact on Rock music, where most fans still buy CDs and vinyl.
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not suprising when they're 90% filler
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too many artists releasing albums of 2 or 3 strong songs and filling it up with shite.

If you want people to buy your album, don't have so much filler. Simple.

There are still plenty of independent artists making good albums from start to finish but it's few and far between in the mainstream.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,627
    Forum Member
    I think you have to be careful of making such sweeping statements because streaming affects some grnres far more than others. For "Urban" music, for example, Hip-hop, Rap, etc, that is undoubtedly true, but I wouldn't say it has had the same impact on Rock music, where most fans still buy CDs and vinyl.

Fair point, but rock (and indie) have really suffered since 2008.

There was a number of bands around that time who were releasing some of the most crap music and I think this had a knock on effect on rock/indie music. It was as if we had entered a world of watered down bland guitar led music that left nothing to the imagination.

The only band in the last couple of years who have successfully bucked the trend are Arctic Monkeys with their latest album AM. Other than that, I'd say Foo Fighters are the only other rock act at present who have continued to be successful - but even their albums don't hang around for months on end.

Whether a new band comes along and has the same type of hype and success similar to Arctic Monkeys achieve in 2005/2006 with their debut is left to be seen.
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thinki previously bands could get away with putting filler tracks on their albums, so if you wanted some of the good tracks you had to effectively buy the whole album, filler and all. since itunes, and even illegal downloads, that's not the case anymore, people can pick and chose which tracks they want from an album, and ignore the filler. So those albums that have done well in recent times are most likely those with a whole album's worth of good music (AM being a good example of this), or albums that really work as a whole and are not just a collection of tracks.
  • SweetHeartHollySweetHeartHolly Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »

It may have been before 2007 that albums sales started taking their nosedive because I remember hearing on the radio back in the year 2000 about a thing called Napster. Right me if I am wrong, but I think that it was an illegal downloading website.

God bless you always!!! :):):)

Holly

P.S. I also remember a thing being out there named Lime Wire.
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I know that is albums as a medium ever die out completely I'll be devastated. I have always been much more of an album listener than someone who cherry picks random singles. It makes me so sad as it is to think people don't appreciate albums much anymore.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Illegal downloading. Simple really.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,976
    Forum Member
    All I know that is albums as a medium ever die out completely I'll be devastated. I have always been much more of an album listener than someone who cherry picks random singles. It makes me so sad as it is to think people don't appreciate albums much anymore.

Me too. I buy far more albums than I do singles. I can't remember the last time that I bought a single.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asarualim wrote: »
    I thinki previously bands could get away with putting filler tracks on their albums, so if you wanted some of the good tracks you had to effectively buy the whole album, filler and all. since itunes, and even illegal downloads, that's not the case anymore, people can pick and chose which tracks they want from an album, and ignore the filler. So those albums that have done well in recent times are most likely those with a whole album's worth of good music (AM being a good example of this), or albums that really work as a whole and are not just a collection of tracks.
    It has moved on a step from that with sites like Spotify, you don't need to 'own' music anymore when you can listen to most anything at anytime. There is no incentive to buy albums.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Illegal downloading. Simple really.

So you don't accept the much-touted claim that people who download illegally spend more on music than people who don't?
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who are aren't really into music will "cherry pick" songs to put on to their crappy playlist because they only want to hear the song that features Rita Ora or was produced by David Guetta.

Genuine music fans will listen to albums because they believe in an artist and appreciate their sound signature and know that what is or isn't a single is irrelevant to how good a song is.

Most people are casual music listeners who only want to hear what they heard on the radio or on TV. They do not view music as an art form. They do not like being challenged and don't have the patience to listen to a song for more than 2 minutes unless that song was a top 10 hit then all of a sudden it's worthy and shall be put on repeat throughout the day.

I'd love to know how I start "cherry picking" songs from Stadium Arcadium when I know each and every song will have an insane guitar solo, a killer bass line and an infectious drum beat.

"Cherry picking" must be really easy when you listen to Katy Perry however.......
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cherry picking doesn't help on itunes
    People will only download the single or maybe a specific album track they have heard elsewhere. People just can't be bothered to listen to a whole album these days. It's a massive shame and pure lazyness.
  • SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cherry picking doesn't help on itunes
    People will only download the single or maybe a specific album track they have heard elsewhere. People just can't be bothered to listen to a whole album these days. It's a massive shame and pure lazyness.

It's because they are uninspired. The music they listen to isn't good enough to warrant listening to an album. The best artists are the ones who've made great albums.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Foam wrote: »
    Looking at the best selling albums of 2015 so far a large percentage of them are just left overs from last year. The top three are Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran and George Ezra which is the same top three as 2014.

Is it because there is a lack of mainstream alternative artists around who used to do very well in the album market and today's biggest music trend is dance music which never does much in album sales?

Isn't 'mainstream alternative' a contradiction in terms?
  • day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who are aren't really into music will "cherry pick" songs to put on to their crappy playlist because they only want to hear the song that features Rita Ora or was produced by David Guetta.

Genuine music fans will listen to albums because they believe in an artist and appreciate their sound signature and know that what is or isn't a single is irrelevant to how good a song is.

Most people are casual music listeners who only want to hear what they heard on the radio or on TV. They do not view music as an art form. They do not like being challenged and don't have the patience to listen to a song for more than 2 minutes unless that song was a top 10 hit then all of a sudden it's worthy and shall be put on repeat throughout the day.

I'd love to know how I start "cherry picking" songs from Stadium Arcadium when I know each and every song will have an insane guitar solo, a killer bass line and an infectious drum beat.

"Cherry picking" must be really easy when you listen to Katy Perry however.......

You've nailed it. :(
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member

So much snobbery
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a slightly left-field one, but I think part of markets getting smaller as a whole is more young people going to uni.

Students nowadays really do have much less disposable income in general than even ten years ago, and when you have to choose between buying an album or going to the pub for your Friday night, which will it be? The student market is a large chunk of the music-buying population that's just gone, or at least dramatically reduced.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much snobbery

But true.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    But true.

It's a massive generalisation and I don't agree it is true
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a massive generalisation and I don't agree it is true

I agree with you. Starting to talk about genuine music fans is a good sign of snobbery.

I listen out to hear good music on single or album. Albums were originally (and still largely are) just a format for presenting a collection of songs. Even the concept or thematic album works the same way.

The three minute single has been the defining form in pop music. The Beatles were great at that form. You don't have to listen to every last album track to be a 'genuine music fan'.

To answer the original question about the commercial impact of albums. Adele's last album was a big seller which now appears on many best of all time lists. Last year Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, George Ezra and Coldplay sold well and there was only a small slip in overall sales. Albums streaming contributes to album charts. So I suspect that the demise of the album is some what premature.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    So you don't accept the much-touted claim that people who download illegally spend more on music than people who don't?

Album sales are a fraction of what they once were, albums used to routinely sell over a million if they were any good. There are other reasons but it's hard to ignore the illegal downloading factor.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Album sales are a fraction of what they once were, albums used to routinely sell over a million if they were any good. There are other reasons but it's hard to ignore the illegal downloading factor.

It's hard to ignore it, true. The question is whether people illegally download albums they would have otherwise paid for. My suspicion is that the hardcore illegal downloaders have hard drives full of albums they have little or no interest in and would never have acquired if it had cost them any money.

Illegal downloading may have damaged the music industry in a different way, though, since it kicked off the trend for people to believe that music should be free. That in turn led to the free streaming model which many musicians see as a bad thing since it reinforces the idea that music has no value. And that in turn may have led to the idea that albums are a bad deal, since you're paying for something that's not worth paying for.

Of course I disagree. I still buy vinyl albums, CDs, and legal downloads. But I don't pay for streaming music because whilst I think the music is worth paying for, I don't think the service is.