Options

Any recommendations for upscaling DVD players?

Does anyone have any strong opinions regarding upscaling DVD players? I would like to get one but as usual there is a huge variation in price and presumably performance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the scaler in the Toshiba HD-DVD player is amazing. Wheras some of the cheap players bragging HDMI and upscaling just aren't anything special. You pay for what you get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending upon the quality of the scaling and de-interlacing of the HD displays own hardware you may even paying for something whose final result is a lower quality picture than you already had from a standard player via RGB scart.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Interesting point Jarrak, I'm thinking of buying a Upscaling DVD Player with HDMI for my New Samsung LCD, however don't the TV's do the upscaling for you??--- my Yamaha DVD Player is RGB Prog Scan, so therefore there isnt going to be any difference between upscale DVD players and normal ones on an LCD, true??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    Sort of true.. I've got a Samsung 40" LCD Tv with a samsung Upscaling DVD player..! Now your guess is as good as mine as which one has the better scaling tech inside, I would hope the Tv as it's newer than the DVD player, the main reason I use an upscaling DVD player is for the HDMI as this then frees up the 2 scart sockets for my PVR (for recording) and cable Tv box (Free with a phone line!!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not all about scaling tech, the quality of the image is just if not more important. Having component or HDMI instead of RGB should give you vast improvements before the upscaling even begins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I have a Cambridge Audi DVD 89 and I think it is very good cost £200
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    It's not all about scaling tech, the quality of the image is just if not more important. Having component or HDMI instead of RGB should give you vast improvements before the upscaling even begins.

but i doubt that the difference is worth the extra £100 for a decent HDMI Upscale DVD Player on a new LCD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends how good the LCDs internal upscaler is.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got a Pioneer DV-696AV-S about a month ago for £120 from Empire Direct.

Works very good, picture is very nice on my Samsung TV when its set at 720p and also I find divx playback to be very good, has played all divx files I have tried so far.