Has Britain finally made its public proud?

Kellie BKellie B Posts: 255
Forum Member
Is it just me or has there been a massive turn around? everyone seems more happy than ever to be British for the first time in decades.

I like it.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    For a week until its over. Up until weds the country was slamming the Olympics, the government etc. then we get golds and everyone's on boards! The public are very fickle sadly!
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Finally? I was proud the moment the opening ceremony wowed the world.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    For a week until its over. Up until weds the country was slamming the Olympics, the government etc. then we get golds and everyone's on boards! The public are very fickle sadly!

The majority of people I speak too were really looking forward to it. Sometimes the media don't reflect public opinion.

I think British pride has been on the up since the Royal Wedding.
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »
    The majority of people I speak too were really looking forward to it. Sometimes the media don't reflect public opinion.

It was on here too sadly - numerous 'no medals' threads. It's sad, as I've said on other threads we have so much to be proud of, the Olympics is another string in our bow do to speak. But the majority of people will forget it the moment Cameron steps out of line or farts in the wrong direction:D
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Saturn wrote: »

We always pull together when we put on a big show, we are the best at it whatever the naysayers say. :)
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that is true bazaar, or at least it is far too sweeping. In the build up to the games, I was pretty sick of the media finding a news story every blooming night letting us know how badly we were organising the games and in my immediate circle, people felt the same.

Sure, there are some who feed off those negative articles, but even the road race disappointment on day 1 didn't dent the pride we felt in our athletes and the organisation generally. The tears of joy many (most?) of us have wept this past week, is proof indeed that we are still proud to be British (and Northern Irish) and for the first time in a long time we are able to emote that, but it was there medals or no.

Kellie is right though, the successes have indeed brought a lot of happiness to the country.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was behind the Olympics and looking forward to it since I was a kid. When I got my ticket and went to Greenwich Park and walked through the gates I was bursting with pride, from the organisers and the volunteers to the competitors and the spectators. Just fantastic
  • gkecgkec Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    We always pull together when we put on a big show, we are the best at it whatever the naysayers say. :)

You never know it might shut the broken Britain moaners up.
    Forum Member
    I don't think that is true bazaar, or at least it is far too sweeping. In the build up to the games, I was pretty sick of the media finding a news story every blooming night letting us know how badly we were organising the games and in my immediate circle, people felt the same.

Sure, there are some who feed off those negative articles, but even the road race disappointment on day 1 didn't dent the pride we felt in our athletes and the organisation generally. The tears of joy many (most?) of us have wept this past week, is proof indeed that we are still proud to be British (and Northern Irish) and for the first time in a long time we are able to emote that, but it was there medals or no.

Kellie is right though, the successes have indeed brought a lot of happiness to the country.

Maybe, I guess we will just have to see! I'm in a bad mood today anyway due to a twit on fb slamming the uk, the Olympics etc and being a general idiot - but what pissed me off more was the fact that many were agreeing with him, it's a waste of money etc etc. maybe they are the minority, the minority are often more vocal. I hope so. We have so much to be proud off I'm sick of defending us to idiots!
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    I'm always proud to be British. Olympics or not.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,855
    Forum Member
    Everyone into sport always get into the Olympics when we start winning medals.

The people who moan are those who hate sport anyway and nothing would get them excited or proud in a sporting sense.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2012 has been a very good year for the UK. The Queen's diamond jubilee and now the Olympics. I agree with the previous poster though. National pride has been on the increase since last summers Royal Wedding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A321 wrote: »
    I'm always proud to be British. Olympics or not.

I am too.

I'm with Boris Johnsson about shutting those whingers up.
    I think we've hosted a fantastic games even though there have been a few teething troubles but thats the media trying to whip us up into a state over nothing *cough* Daily Mail *cough* ;):D
  • enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    We may be proud. But don't bank on the rest of the world showing much interest.

I've been checking out the international press front pages this morning. The only paper that seemed to acknowledge our success last night was the New York Times, who ran a nice little piece on Jessie Ennis. Many of the other US papers concentrated on their own participants/Bolt/Pistorius.

It was the same with the main EU papers.

So while we think our achievements are noteworthy, it appears the rest of the world either don't know about them or don't care. :(
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    I can't believe the Daily Mail's hypocricy- story after story about what a waste of money the Olympics are, how badly organised they are etc - then this morning its reveling in 'the best day yet'.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We may be proud. But don't bank on the rest of the world showing much interest.

I've been checking out the international press front pages this morning. The only paper that seemed to acknowledge our success last night was the New York Times, who ran a nice little piece on Jessie Ennis. Many of the other US papers concentrated on their own participants/Bolt/Pistorius.

It was the same with the main EU papers.

So while we think our achievements are noteworthy, it appears the rest of the world either don't know about them or don't care. :(

Of course they don't care. They're proud of their own achievements. I bet the Danish papers are full of their victory in the double sculls, and rightly so. It's only a few superstars like Bolt and Phelps who are going to get worldwide headlines.