Best Tablet for Under £200?

steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a friend who previously had a laptop but it failed and appears to be beyond repair (no display on internal or a connected display). They only really used the laptop for very basic tasks like browsing the web, checking email paying bills online and the like and really like the idea of greater portability and ease of use.

Therefore, they seem pretty set on the idea of a tablet in preference to a laptop and I can't see any reason not to opt for a tablet considering their light usage, anyone else see any potential issue?

They have set a budget of less than £200 though I think if I can keep it £100-£150 they would probably be happier, after all £200 is bordering on new laptop money really. Also, a full sized USB port would be useful as they have an external HDD they would like to be able to continue using.

So bearing all that in mind, please could you give me some suggestions for good tablets within budget?

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven123 wrote: »
    Also, a full sized USB port would be useful as they have an external HDD they would like to be able to continue using.
    )

I don't think you'll find many with a full-sized USB but micro to normal USB converters are easy to find, so don't let that be a barrier.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Google Nexus 7 tablet gets universally good reviews but it's only got a 7" screen. Unfortunately the 10" model is well above your price range.

Have they considered a Chromebook? That would have the advantage of having a screen size of 10" or more and a physical keyboard, and with a less powerful model staying within your price range. There's also a more powerful Samsung model with an Intel Celeron processor and a 12" screen that Amazon have greatly reduced at the moment but that would be a little above your maximum price. Just an idea, if you've considered it and rejected it fair enough, they don't appeal to everyone.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    The Google Nexus 7 tablet gets universally good reviews but it's only got a 7" screen. Unfortunately the 10" model is well above your price range.

Have they considered a Chromebook? That would have the advantage of having a screen size of 10" or more and a physical keyboard, and with a less powerful model staying within your price range. There's also a more powerful Samsung model with an Intel Celeron processor and a 12" screen that Amazon have greatly reduced at the moment but that would be a little above your maximum price. Just an idea, if you've considered it and rejected it fair enough, they don't appeal to everyone.

That's an interesting idea for sure, I know ease of use and usability are important as they have some basic computer literacy but certainly aren't confident computer users.

Personally I am an expert computer user and yet I sometimes find Android can be a bit intimidating and tricky to find the exact option you want from time to time so that could be an issue in a tablet. Maybe Android 4 is better (I've only used 2 and 3).
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Nexus 7 is so good, 7 inch screen though if this is big enough for you
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nexus 7 is so good, 7 inch screen though if this is big enough for you

I'd have to check with my friend (it's not for me) but saying that, if I was spending close to £200 on a tablet I would expect a 10 inch screen. Near to £200 for a 7" screen just seems like bad value when you can get 7" tablets for £50 albeit cheap and pretty nasty ones.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nexus 7 is not bad value... It's an excellent tablet that has stellar reviews. It's worth the extra, and you yourself acknowledge that the cheaper 7" tablets are cheaper because they're cheap and nasty...

You could get a larger tablet for £200 or under, but it wouldn't be as good as a Nexus 7.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I'd have to check with my friend (it's not for me) but saying that, if I was spending close to £200 on a tablet I would expect a 10 inch screen. Near to £200 for a 7" screen just seems like bad value when you can get 7" tablets for £50 albeit cheap and pretty nasty ones.

Not sure about comparing a Nexus 7 to a £50 tablet - like comparing Tesco Value with M&S finest range
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Not sure about comparing a Nexus 7 to a £50 tablet - like comparing Tesco Value with M&S finest range

Ok, I'm sure the Nexus is great and everything, just saying I would really struggle with paying £200 for a 7" tablet, but people pay £500+ for iPads :eek: so I guess it isn't so ridiculous.

But supposing they do want something bigger :p what is my best 10" option assuming the £200 budget?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But supposing they do want something bigger :p what is my best 10" option assuming the £200 budget?
    Sorry to be the moon-faced assasin of joy but IMHO you won't get a 10" tablet worth buying for under about £300. The Google Nexus 10 is £319 from Google themselves but I haven't checked alternative sources for lower prices.

There is a £200 Acer Chromebook but it's got a low powered processor and is reported as being a bit sluggish. The significantly better Samsung 550 Chromebook is £270 at the moment at Amazon, reduced they say from £379.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    The Google Nexus 10 is £319 from Google themselves
    UPDATE: That's the 16GB version. The 32GB version is £389.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It comes down to experience. If the person is used to having a PC, even an old one, for browsing email and the like, they are going to be used to a certain quality of online experience.

If they buy a low quality cheapo tablet with a small screen, then that experience is going to be lacking. This is one instance where you get what you pay for. Spend the extra money and buy something decent, that is the right tool for the job and will last a reasonable length of time.
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kindle Fire HD 8.9" from £229? Bigger screen and good for browsing, emails etc. I don't think that anyone's come up with an app to connect usb drives yet though.
  • mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine just bought a Prestigio PMP5597 9.7in Dual C tablet for £189. Don't know what it performs like (she's only just got it) but it looks impressive and has a lovely large screen.
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Momo20 is excellent for the price, fantastic specs, and after seeing it have no hesitation in recommending as I did on another thread. Ployer are a well respected Chinese brand.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ployer-Momo20-Quad-Resolution-Pre-Installed/dp/B00B5TSUXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365609296&sr=8-1&keywords=momo20
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the recommendations so far, hoping for more to come. Can help to narrow it down a bit now as I have talked about it some more with my friend and they confirmed they would prefer a 10" (though a 8.9/9" would probably be acceptable too) eliminating any 7" tablets. The reason is my friend would like to their father to be able to use it too (who has ok but not perfect eyesight hence needs a decently sized screen)

They also mentioned that Skype and hence integrated microphone and webcam are essential, don't know whether these are standard on tablets now? but thought it worth mentioning just in case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Nexus 7", Samsung G Tab 2 7" or Ployer Momo 8.1" are all very capable tablets within your price range.

The Mrs has a Ployer Momo and its great. The Kindle Fire gets a massive thumbs down due to it not being an Android device (its Amazon's own OS) and seemed very child-friendly and basic in comparison.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ended up getting a Samsung Galaxy tab 2 with my new phone contract the other day and I love it so far.

Real test of how good it is will be if we manage to teach mum how to navigate it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missli wrote: »
    The Momo20 is excellent for the price, fantastic specs, and after seeing it have no hesitation in recommending as I did on another thread. Ployer are a well respected Chinese brand.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ployer-Momo20-Quad-Resolution-Pre-Installed/dp/B00B5TSUXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365609296&sr=8-1&keywords=momo20

Thanks for the help, I ended up choosing this one as I was blown away with the specification it offers for the price: quad core, high resolution ips screen, 2GB RAM, multicore gpu, dual camera, now that is really excellent bang for the buck. :)

Makes my 10" Hannspad feel quite inadequate by comparison. I think my next tablet will be the momo too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If I was spending £200 I'd be expecting a free massage.
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help, I ended up choosing this one as I was blown away with the specification it offers for the price: quad core, high resolution ips screen, 2GB RAM, multicore gpu, dual camera, now that is really excellent bang for the buck. :)

Makes my 10" Hannspad feel quite inadequate by comparison. I think my next tablet will be the momo too.

I know, I've got tablet envy too! My mum's recently bought one. :D