Christmas songs watch

Mikes MikeMikes Mike Posts: 1,822
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which stations have started then?

Comments

• FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    The first Christmas song I heard was on Monday on Rdio 2 during Simon's show. He interviewed the lead singer of Bellowhead and played their new single, Jingle Bells and it's fabulous.
  • CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kind of off-topic but local pub karaoke the other night I heard someone 'singing' Shakey's 'Merry Xmas Everyone' - I was understandably distraught. :-)

Usually it's Heart (surprise surprise) that start the ball rolling thinking they know best by playing Xmas chuff in mid November.
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Lloyd posted something on his blog a few weeks back about this. Apparently his research showed that the majority of people wanted to hear Christmas songs at the start of December. For me, December 16th is early enough. Shame that these things are decided by research rather than the innate wisdom of the PC.
  • Terry PurvisTerry Purvis Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Shame that these things are decided by research rather than the innate wisdom of the PC.

Agreed.
  • HowjoHowjo Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    revolution fm 96.2

had last christmas on this morning around 0710
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Lloyd posted something on his blog a few weeks back about this. Apparently his research showed that the majority of people wanted to hear Christmas songs at the start of December. For me, December 16th is early enough. Shame that these things are decided by research rather than the innate wisdom of the PC.
    I don't know what the policy of Radio 2 is these days but a few years ago their policy was to play a few Christmas songs in the first two weeks of December before then ramping up the amount of plays in the next 10 or so days in the run up to Christmas. Which seems very sensible to me otherwise people get fed up of hearing the same Christmas songs by mid December.
  • simon243simon243 Posts: 3,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    people get fed up of hearing the same Christmas songs by mid December.

How, then, does that explain the massive spike in audience American AC stations enjoy every year when they go ALL Christmas for an entire month?

Look at Lite FM in New York - consistently rates number 1 all year, then in December it typically adds about a third again.

I'm not advocating that here - it really would be overkill for British listeners - but David Lloyd is right, there is certainly an appetite for a smattering of Christmas songs from the start of Dec, albeit not from the grumpy old men of Digital Spy.
    Shame that these things are decided by research rather than the innate wisdom of the PC.

Crazy isn't it, a business that listens to its consumers. It'll never work.
  • colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember that in the States, the Christmas season begins at Thanksgiving so after that date, it's Ho Ho Ho all the way!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 played The Pogues about a month ago at the 10 minute takeover
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    The first Christmas song I heard was on Monday on Rdio 2 during Simon's show. He interviewed the lead singer of Bellowhead and played their new single, Jingle Bells and it's fabulous.

He did apologise for playing a Xmas song so early though.:)
  • Terry PurvisTerry Purvis Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    simon243 wrote: »
    Crazy isn't it, a business that listens to its consumers. It'll never work.

Henry Ford on market research:

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”
  • coolskincoolskin Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    pretty sure ASDA FM had one on today and I expect Heart will start w/c 25/11

Mid dec is plenty early enough for me - and I am a proud humbug !!
    Forum Member
    coolskin wrote: »

Mid December is plenty early enough for me as well. If I hear them before then I channel hop to avoid them the same old Christmas tosh over & over does my head in.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colly_tyg wrote: »
    Remember that in the States, the Christmas season begins at Thanksgiving so after that date, it's Ho Ho Ho all the way!
    the first stations in the states flipped format to all christmas at the start of november ;)
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Henry Ford on market research:

“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

Also the quality of the answer received depends on the quality of question asked. Market research certainly has its place, but the timing of Christmas music should be a little more common sense and should be applied like seasoning on a meal.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    He did apologise for playing a Xmas song so early though.:)

There was no need, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Scott Mills has played a few, like he always does.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been some talk of Magic Christmas rather than Smooth Christmas this year?
    The Magic TV station has started blocks of back to back Christmas songs
    http://www.magic.co.uk/magictv
    One possibility is Buaer rebadging Absolute 90s on DAB to become Magic Christmas radio, but the OFT decision on the takeover is now not till about Dec 20th!
  • Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marc Griffiths has been doing a Christmas song each Wednesday between 7-11pm on Radio Caroline..

www.radiocaroline.co.uk
  • dlmccabedlmccabe Posts: 1,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kitt 2000 wrote: »
    Marc Griffiths has been doing a Christmas song each Wednesday between 7-11pm on Radio Caroline..

www.radiocaroline.co.uk

http://www.therevolution962.com/revolution-christmas/
  • Kitt 2000Kitt 2000 Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolskin wrote: »

Asda have been playing them since 10th October, possibly earlier :eek:
  • james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure their is a community radio station out there somewhere with Mr Wacky in the morning *clowns horn ex* who played Slade - Merry Christmas yesterday
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    darnall42 wrote: »
    the first stations in the states flipped format to all christmas at the start of november ;)

Smooth Radio Christmas was up and running at the start of November last year.
    Forum Member
    mfr wrote: »
    Smooth Radio Christmas was up and running at the start of November last year.

With a high rotation it soon got pretty boring compared with some of the internet Xmas stations. Smooth Xmas was ok for an evening as background music if you had your friends round but for a long listen no go unless you like Wham, Slade and Wizard etc over and over.