Pav and the underlying racism.

Comments

• scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Pav's problem is that he's so quiet and says so little that he hasn't allowed the other housemates or the public to form an opinion on him based on what HE does. The only time Pav gets shown is when other people are making negative comments on him, whether that be Steven, Helen, Matthew and so on. All that the public is being fed is a negative image of him. And that's just down to unfair editing.

Regardless of all this, the reception he got from the crowd was totally unjustified. Not unexplainable, but completely unfair. He's not actually done anything wrong at the end of the day. The problem is he's not done anything AT ALL.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest whether it is racism or not - the treatment of Pav is quite uncomfortable to watch. He really has done nothing wrong and just seems to be excluded.

I agree. That's why it was actually nice to see him joining in with the male HMs in the bedroom in last nights show.

The damage is done for him now, unfortunately, so he probably just needs to just have some fun in there for how ever long her has left and stop worrying about what the rest of them think
  • kellygirlkellygirl Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I think the constant screams of racism, homophobia and bullying that are thrown about so casually today serve only to detract from real incidences. I can not think of a single factor about Pav that explained the negative and hostile reaction he got, and in the absence of any such reason it can therefore only be based on his race. It actually disgusted me and I feel ashamed of the idiots who booed him.
  • SunnySunshineSunnySunshine Posts: 5,399
    Forum Member
    delazarous wrote: »
    Also by missing or failing to address the point, completely making things up or by throwing insults!

Criritical thinking and rational discussion are clearly not big in the racist community. :D
  • JillyAJillyA Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Zoe and Bianca aren't white

I think Zoe is and its just bad fake tan actually
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    I think Pav's problem is that he's so quiet and says so little that he hasn't allowed the other housemates or the public to form an opinion on him based on what HE does. The only time Pav gets shown is when other people are making negative comments on him, whether that be Steven, Helen, Matthew and so on. All that the public is being fed is a negative image of him. And that's just down to unfair editing.

Regardless of all this, the reception he got from the crowd was totally unjustified. Not unexplainable, but completely unfair. He's not actually done anything wrong at the end of the day. The problem is he's not done anything AT ALL.

I don't think you can say this for sure. When the newbies first arrived he was full of beans and talkative like the rest but he has said subsequently that no one asked him questions about himself, they just wanted to know about the outside world and obviously that is going to dry up quickly.

Now he seems quiet but he's clearly very down and constantly concerned about how he is being perceived like not being trusted. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy from the HM's perspective. They say he's quiet but they had a hand in making him so.

Anyway we're back to why would a quiet unassuming HM receive such an over the top back lash from the crowd including his sister? There has not been a satisfactory answer and I feel convinced racism, even if unconscious, is the reason.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JillyA wrote: »
    I think Zoe is and its just bad fake tan actually

No I think she's mixed race.
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Criritical thinking and rational discussion are clearly not big in the racist community. :D
    How surprising ;-)
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want pav out.

He is. ...

Boring
    Whiney
    Noob
    And made a **** of himself in his vt
  • gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    like i said in another thread, if we was more of a westernised asian dressing he would not get this hate its clearly because he wears a turbon and has the typical british asian accent. the crowds tend to be chavy people anfd alot of chavs are very racist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway we're back to why would a quiet unassuming HM receive such an over the top back lash from the crowd including his sister? There has not been a satisfactory answer and I feel convinced racism, even if unconscious, is the reason.

I agree. A man in a turban arouses primitive animosity in some folks, but don't ask me why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The FBI wrote: »
    made a **** of himself in his vt

As did many of the others. But yes it WAS a bit stupid and cringe-worthy to call himself a ladies man.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel really sad for Pav. He is being totally isolated/ostracised for no reason that I can see at all. I don't know how they can all sit there and watch/allow someone to look so lonely and lost.
    Even when he tried to talk to Zoe, she was all 'me, me' me', saying something along the lines of, "I think I'M doing great. Really fitting in well."

I'm not a 'fan' of Pav. He's done nothing to interest me in the slightest. But his treatment by both the housemates and the public is a disgrace. I just want to go in there and hug him!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I think OP has a point, the extend he is being hated makes no sense at all. Dislike him yes but hate ? I think there is a bit of racism here with some just jumping on the bandwagon and doesn't even know that they are being racist.
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not racist to find someone dull
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course not and no-one's saying it is!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    As did many of the others. But yes it WAS a bit stupid and cringe-worthy to call himself a ladies man.

SO many housemates have used phrases like that to describe themselves over the years. Aaron A/M used those exact words to describe himself, and walked on water for his entire series. It is very, very unusual for people to hold a VT against a housemate: awful VT's seem to be forgotten on day one, as soon as people have the chance to see someone in the house.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you can say this for sure. When the newbies first arrived he was full of beans and talkative like the rest but he has said subsequently that no one asked him questions about himself, they just wanted to know about the outside world and obviously that is going to dry up quickly.

Now he seems quiet but he's clearly very down and constantly concerned about how he is being perceived like not being trusted. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy from the HM's perspective. They say he's quiet but they had a hand in making him so.

That's such a big leap though.

There is no evidence other than the crowd's reaction. And that crowd in particular is hardly representative of anything other than being an over excited BB crowd who are there for a laugh/good time.

Might not be everybody's cup of tea, but the crowd is what it is.

It strikes me as far more racist to put it down to racism on such flimsy evidence.
  • MiniMeTooMiniMeToo Posts: 17,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sara-dale wrote: »
    So why join in on this thread, just leave it those who can and do want to debate the issue.

because I have a right to, that's why, and that is my view, don't like it don't read it or comment on it...you have a nice day now...
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

It might be. We simply don't know what people's motivations for criticisms are. Anyway we're beyond the criticism now. I accept Pav is dull in many people's minds but I still do not understand why dullness would elicit the over the top reaction that Pav and his sister received.
    That's such a big leap though.

There is no evidence other than the crowd's reaction. And that crowd in particular is hardly representative of anything other than being an over excited BB crowd who are there for a laugh/good time.

Might not be everybody's cup of tea, but the crowd is what it is.

It strikes me as far more racist to put it down to racism on such flimsy evidence.

Is it such a leap though :confused: We've kind of gone round in circles on this thread but I still haven't heard of any other HM or their sister being treated like Pav and his sister were when the major criticism leveled at Pav is boring, embarrassing VT and newbie.

The only explanation I have heard is akin to yours about the crowd and phrases like mob mentality and words like ignorance but these are all aspects of racism. Like I said I understand it may be unconscious but I feel convinced that racism is playing a part here.

As for me being racist for saying that, I'm afraid it sounds more like a way of stifling debate because it sounds more like a threat than adding anything to the discussion.
  • purpleskypurplesky Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How is it racist to infer racism? :confused:

That sort of comment might deter people from actually taking part in a discussion, precisely because they fear being labelled racist for talking about it, or God forbid having an opinion on it. :confused:
  • summertime09summertime09 Posts: 10,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am getting really fed up viewing the way Pav is being treated, and for no reason, other than the ridiculously bitter comments by Danielle and Biannca, Mathews comments were unfathomable as there is no evidence that Pav is a snake in the grass game player!! I am disappointed in Chris, I would have thought he had the intelligence to think that Danielle and Biannca were bitter towards Pav. I really cant wait till the end of this series, but if up this week I will chuck pav a couple of votes.
  • QueenPixieQueenPixie Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am getting really fed up viewing the way Pav is being treated, and for no reason, other than the ridiculously bitter comments by Danielle and Biannca, Mathews comments were unfathomable as there is no evidence that Pav is a snake in the grass game player!! I am disappointed in Chris, I would have thought he had the intelligence to think that Danielle and Biannca were bitter towards Pav. I really cant wait till the end of this series, but if up this week I will chuck pav a couple of votes.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Racism! You shouldn't bandy emotive words around like they are polite insults. Racism is a horrible thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    I agree. A man in a turban arouses primitive animosity in some folks, but don't ask me why.

And yet it's ok for Aladin.
    People are strange.
This discussion has been closed.