So I watched Doomsday on BBC Three once again this evening (spoilers)

13»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    My favorite two elements of the series 2 finale are actually much smaller moments, the scene where Ten cracks the glass to demonstrate what is about to happen a few minutes down the line and the scene with Rose and Ten on the opposite sides of the wall. No words, just powerful imagery.

I do agree that Yvonne's last scene was brilliant though. The other great moment was the chat between The Cybermen and Daleks...super fun!:)

Agree, very dark.... made all the more dramatic that what was happening was off-stage; very well played by tracy-ann Oberman. Indeed, my biggest gripe with Doomsday was that she was not in it as much as she was in Army of Ghosts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised (or have just never noticed?) any one hasn't pointed out the big error on the CGI Cybermen in The Age Of Steel...

:confused:
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Only if you think that Love and Monsters was all dumb spectacle. And I don't think you'll find anyone to agree with that.

I think you also fail to understand the difference between a magical ending and an ending with a plot hole. The former relies on something like a new, unstated power or fact suddenly overriding everything that has gone before, whereas the latter is a seemingly logical solution that subsequently falls apart on closer inspection.

So, in Blink, we've established that angels are locked when visible, we know that the Tardis can go from visible to invisible and that the angels want the Tardis. The solution is therefore to get them all looking at the Tardis and have it disappear. Yes, there are plot holes, the most obvious being that lightbulbs don't actually last forever, but there's nothing magical about it.

Conversely, in Doomsday it's established that things steeped in void stuff will be pulled in when the void is opened. Then, to make a nice ending, Pete appears and isn't pulled in. He somehow manages to hold something that is being pulled in with neither of them being pulled in. The established rules are directly contradicted. And that's on top of the other reasonable stuff like there being no way he could have known to appear.

Try flipping it the other way. If the angels got the Tardis and cleared off, someone might say "the Doctor should have just got it to dematerialise while they were all looking at it, they would have ended up looking at each other", to which most people would then say "oh, yes, that's a good idea".

If Rose had slipped into the void, someone might say "Pete could have just appeared and caught her and zapped her back to his reality". To which most people would immediately say "don't be stupid, how would he know to do that?"

He could see, as when the rift was active he could see through to Rose and the Doctor's side of the rift and watch the events unfold. (Watch Rose pounding on the wall as if she thinks she could get it open and see the Doctor again)

So when Rose started falling he teleported over in a split second, grabbed her and 'ported back.
    Since it's TV and it was a dramatic moment, the camera angles make it look longer for dramatic purposes, like in a hollywood movie where you see something explode multiple times from multiple angles. Suspension of time for dramatic effect.

It goes without saying that the "plot hole" phenomenon is related to how much you're enjoying a story already.
    If you're really liking the story in front of you, you'll be swept away with it and not notice these kinds of things.
    If you're already looking for reasons not to like it, you'll spend more time trying to look for plotholes then enjoying the story.
    Swings and roundabouts really, but it is correct to say fans will look for more plotholes in stories they take an objection to than ones they are enjoying, and that doesn't just go for Dr Who either! ;)