Laptop not charging

Hi everyone

I have a HP Pavillion DV7 1020EA - it is about a year and a half old. I have loved it until now as it will not charge.

It simply wont charge. I have tested the power sources and they are fine and tried it on different outlets. The computer is not recognising that the charger is plugged in.

I have looked online and can get a new charger for only £25, but I dont want to buy one if the laptop is faulty. The block part of the charger is getting warm so I assume it is working ok but the laptop is not getting it.

As I am abroad I have no way of having it looked at. Any ideas/help hugely appreciated.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
:)

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible that the lead from PSU to Laptop has developed a fault. Most likely locations are wher the wire emerges from the PSU or the plug that goes into the back of the laptop. Not unusual for the wires to break due to being flexed at these points.

Sometimes if you gently move the cable a little you can temporarily close the break and get it working. That would show if it is a cable break. Alternatively you need a voltmeter to measure what, if anything, is coming out of the plug.

The other possible fault is the socket on the laptop. That may have lost connection with the motherboard. Either because of dodgy soldering or the contacts have broken.

If the PSU is providing solid volts at the plug then the laptop has to be suspect. Which could be a painful repair job. Might even require a new motherboard depending on how it's constructed! But you need to establish first whether there are any volts coming out of the PSU before you go down that route.

Which might be difficult without some way to meaasure any voltage. Unless you can find an identical model of laptop and PSU and swap bits around. If your PSU does not power another laptop and another PSU powers your laptop then you can be fairly certain it's the PSU. If another PSU fails to power your laptop and your PSU powers another laptop then you can be fairly sure it's your laptop at fault.