Options

guys, i need a bit of advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,574
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have recently quit my job because the management were just horrible. I have been looking for a job 6 months ago and still kept working in my last job until i finally had enough.

Now luckily for me i had two interviews recently (strange i never got one whilst working) one which i was rejected in the end. Now i have got one more interview. Now here's the deal.This particular job is one that would help career wise in the future. But the problem is that it's a 2 hour commute by train each way.

now i have no option of moving closer to that work place for personal reasons. So my question is if hypothetically they offered you the job would you take it or ignore it?

My head says yes take it and i might not get another interview like this for a while whereas my heart says nothing is worth such a commute. I Have been thinking about this for so many days now. O

Comments

• Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elan Morin wrote: »
    I have recently quit my job because the management were just horrible. I have been looking for a job 6 months ago and still kept working in my last job until i finally had enough.

Now luckily for me i had two interviews (strange i never got one whilst working) one which i was rejected in the end. Now i have got one more interview. Now here's the deal.This particular job is one that would help career wise in the future. But the problem is that it's a 2 hour commute by train each way.

now i have no option of moving closer to that work place for personal reasons. So my question is if hypothetically they offered me the job would you take it or ignore it?

My head says yes take it and i might not get another interview like this for a while whereas my heart says nothing is worth such a commute. I Have been thinking about this for so many days now. On one hand it's going to be tough but on the other hand a job is better than sitting at home all day!

I really cant advise you whether to take the job or not.
    My current commute is about 1hr 40 each way (thats door to door) I am use to this and actually thankful that we now have a fast link train, prior to this starting it was in excess of 2 hrs. I do find it quite tiring and you do have to be quite well organised but I am lucky that one day a week I can work from home (so worth it if you can).

The other thing to check out is the cost and whether from that point of view its worth it. Ihave just bought my annual season and its £5200+ next year this rises to £5800+ so be aware.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to commute 2 hrs each way before (bus, train and then underground). Its surprising how quickly you get used to it. I would not want to drive that long each way but on the train I either used to sleep or get my notebook out and catchup on downloaded TV or work.

Now I have kids I probably would not do it anymore as I prefer to be home before they go to sleep.

Also with cost, check with your employer they may do low percentage or interest free loan to help with travel costs.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done for the interviews.

I had a similar situation as you about 18 months ago. I left my old job for lots of reasons mostly job insecurity due to the managers ability to spend money on designer waste bins then pay her staff on time. Anyway, the job I left them for is 1-11/2 hours commute and I had to think about it.

I reasoned that it was better to do something; the job was and still is fantastic and because it was by train I can at least read or sleep. By car is a pain in the backside as it's in a big town and I live in a town so I hit traffic either end although the road is okay.

Will you go by car? Is there a car share scheme so you have some company? Can you go by another form of public transport (useful to have the options if the car breaks down or you find driving hard going)? Can you ask them about season ticket loans? If there are two ways to get to the job make sure you try out both at interview or at least before you accept it. My first interview I drove and the second I caught the train to test them out. Does the job offer work at home options if the weather is bad? Flexi-hours? All these things help on a cold day to make life easier.

I won't lie, I hate the commute some times and detest National Express plus the cost means I don't earn anymore.

My thoughts are go for the interview, see what happens as it's not in the bag yet and take the job if you think it's cost effective.

Good luck!
  • Options
    SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH commuted about that distance for 10 years, he used to sleep on the train, but he was the type who could sleep on a clothesline

in the end it became just too tiring I suppose because he wasnt getting any younger but if you are a young person, dont see any reason not to do it for the right job
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the advice people. I think i know what i have to do

OH commuted about that distance for 10 years, he used to sleep on the train, but he was the type who could sleep on a clothesline

how did he not miss his stops?!
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't answer for SecretSmiler of course but I use the alarm on my iphone! The one time I didn't, I ended up in Norfolk when my stop was in Essex :eek:
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rethink the personal reasons for not being able to move - you don't say what they are but it might be possible if you are prepared to be flexible.
  • Options
    mincepiemincepie Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't have a job at the moment??

Take their job! You can always keep an eye out for something else.
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you been offered the job or is it an interview?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its a personal thing. I would never waste 4 hours a day travelling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    I would take the job and try it. You did say it will help you in the future so that is a major plus point. The 2 hour commute will not be forever and what if you turn it down and then do not get another opportunity that is as good as this for career progression? Nothing ventured - nothing gained!

I have never had a commute that long so I cant speak from experience. I probably would not be too happy if it was by car, but by train it might actually be ok (unless its snowing!) - time to read books, work on laptop, watch dvds, listen to music etc.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I had to do two hours travel to get to university and back.

I don't see how four hours can be any different.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    If i were in your position i would do it if i could afford the commute as it is not always that easy to get a job these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CANDYANGEL wrote: »
    Have you been offered the job or is it an interview?

just the interview. it's prententious of me but for some strange reason i can't seem to stop thinking about this job whether its even worth going for it in the end
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just the interview. it's prententious of me but for some strange reason i can't seem to stop thinking about this job whether its even worth going for it in the end

If it's a good career move and a couple of years in the role would help launch you to the next level, I guess it's a no brainer. I used to do an hour plus train commute into London and even longer to S Wales. Slept on train, worked on PC, read work papers, read books, magazines, wrote to chums. I got used to it but after a few years it does get a bit old.

I agree with previous poster who said that 2 hours driving would be very tedious.

I would suggest the bigger issue is how difficult it is for a candidate to to explain to the interview panel why they made themselves deliberately unemployed, as in a good company that treats its employees well, it is hard to understand how anyone would do that.

Good luck and every success - I hope it is the job you have dreamed of.
  • Options
    PressgangPressgang Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Toggler wrote: »
    I used to do an hour plus train commute into London and even longer to S Wales. Slept on train, worked on PC, read work papers, read books, magazines, wrote to chums.

Not to put a damper on things but if you get a seat for an hour+ commute, you can do all those things, but God forbid you have to stand all the way... :cry:
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would go for the interview and then just take things from there. If you don't get it, then at least you have the experience of another interview and if you do then you have some thinking to do.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did an hour and a half commute a few years back, for about 2 and a half years. Personally, I'd never do it again. Really, really couldn't stand it.

However, you are also currently out of work. That changes things somewhat. I took that job with the long commute because I was out of work at the time. In such circumstances, I'd says its best to take any job offered to you. It's always better to be in work than out of work.
  • Options
    Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    Can't answer for SecretSmiler of course but I use the alarm on my iphone! The one time I didn't, I ended up in Norfolk when my stop was in Essex :eek:

Ahh the great East Anglia Express. Never made Norwich or Diss but ended up in Stowmarket once and Ipswich once when I should have got off at Colchester!

Learnt my lesson and always got the train that terminated at Colchester after the second time.

The only problem with a 2 hour journey is that any delays could cause problems. If you know in advance from traffic reports best to give yourself a bit of extra time.
  • Options
    LadyChatterboxLadyChatterbox Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I used to commute an hour and a half each way, it gets less tiring over time, as you build up your stamina.

Re people missing their stop, there was a chap I saw regularly on the train and every evening he would hang a notice round his neck on a piece of string; the notice said "Please wake me up at West Byfleet" :D
  • Options
    rob1973rob1973 Posts: 4,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mincepie wrote: »
    You don't have a job at the moment??

Take their job! You can always keep an eye out for something else.

This, take the job but keep looking.

Another factor to consider is the hours. A lot of my work comes in the 12 hour shift flavour so to add a 4 hour commute would be just silly, I'd never see my mates. But if it's an 8 hour shift then it's do-able. Good luck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rob1973 wrote: »
    This, take the job but keep looking.

Another factor to consider is the hours. A lot of my work comes in the 12 hour shift flavour so to add a 4 hour commute would be just silly, I'd never see my mates. But if it's an 8 hour shift then it's do-able. Good luck!

Thank God it's an eight hour shift otherwise it would be madness to do so.

Now i have got to stop worrying about this till the 23rd!
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    I used to commute an hour and a half each way, it gets less tiring over time, as you build up your stamina.

Re people missing their stop, there was a chap I saw regularly on the train and every evening he would hang a notice round his neck on a piece of string; the notice said "Please wake me up at West Byfleet" :D

But did people do it, or just leave him be?

Similar things used to happen on the train when commuting to uni. This guy regularly used to nod off, but before, would ask people to nudge him 1 stop before he would get off.

Being the kind person I am, if it happen to be me on the opposite, just seemed fair. But my friends dad, after a pub crawl fell sleep and ended up in Blackpool. The conductor was kind enough though for him to return on his ticket as mistakes do happen
  • Options
    QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    I used to do a 1-2 hour commute every day (could do it in 90 mins, but the trains were usually running late, or there were constant issues on the underground which meant it could easily be 2 hours!) and I left my job after six months as basically I got fed up of having no life and the expense of commuting and just dealing with other grumpy commuters every morning... I never used to get a seat on the train because it was so packed, which was a 50 minute standing journey each way, used to be a mad crush on the underground and it was just a horrible horrible time in my life. I used to feel sick on a Sunday evening thinking about doing it all over again.

When a rival company just down the road from my house approached me, I jumped ship without even looking back - yeah I took a pay cut but commuting is so expensive it actually worked in my favour (took a £5k pay cut so that's how expensive my commuting costs were! :eek: ).

If you are serious about doing this, you need to work out your finances, what you will do if the trains don't run properly (a really common occurrence I found!), could you make alternative travel arrangements in times of snow, is there opportunity for tele-commuting etc.

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God it's an eight hour shift otherwise it would be madness to do so.

Now i have got to stop worrying about this till the 23rd!

Go for it and good luck :)