Options

Bankruptcy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
Forum Member
Can anyone give an insight to life after bankruptcy if anyone has been through it please.

I have read online the restrictions ect that can be placed on you but I would like to know from a person who has been through it what it entails - was it worth it - and what is life like now.

Basically short version of my situation is, I am in £25k debt :( I am with stepchange paying £45 pcm have 7 creditors so they are getting £5 each - there is no way I can up these payments so have been advised best option is to go bankrupt.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ZeePhilPop wrote: »
    Can anyone give an insight to life after bankruptcy

so have been advised best option is to go bankrupt.

Didn't the person who gave you the advice to go bankrupt explain the consequences fully to you ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Didn't the person who gave you the advice to go bankrupt explain the consequences fully to you ?

No it was just a suggestion - I do know parts myself.

I really want to hear from people who have been through it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you’re made bankrupt:
    ##your assets can be used to pay your debts
    ##you must follow certain rules called the ‘bankruptcy restrictions’
    ##your name and details will be published on a bankruptcy register called the ‘Individual Insolvency Register’
    ##after 12 months you’re usually discharged (freed) from your bankruptcy

https://www.gov.uk/bankruptcy/overview

My father was in 70k debt, he had to sell his home, But I know of people who have gone bankrupt and managed to get another house.

Much more detail here:

http://debtadvicebureau.org.uk/bankruptcy/main_effects.html
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    I have read online the restrictions ect that can be placed on you but I would like to know from a person who has been through it what it entails - was it worth it - and what is life like now.

As every case will be different, I don't see how "personal experiences" will help you.
    Basically short version of my situation is, I am in £25k debt :( I am with stepchange

Stepchange (formerly CCCS) exist for the sole purpose of providing free debt advice, so they are clearly best placed to advise on your best course of action.
    paying £45 pcm have 7 creditors so they are getting £5 each -

You seem to be in need of a new calculator ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    As every case will be different, I don't see how "personal experiences" will help you.

Stepchange (formerly CCCS) exist for the sole purpose of providing free debt advice, so they are clearly best placed to advise on your best course of action.

You seem to be in need of a new calculator ...

No need to be rude, i meant 9 creditors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone give an insight to life after bankruptcy if anyone has been through it please.

Basically short version of my situation is, I am in £25k debt :( I am with stepchange paying £45 pcm have 7 creditors so they are getting £5 each - there is no way I can up these payments so have been advised best option is to go bankrupt.

Thank you
    tothegrand wrote: »
    When you’re made bankrupt:
    ##your assets can be used to pay your debts
    ##you must follow certain rules called the ‘bankruptcy restrictions’
    ##your name and details will be published on a bankruptcy register called the ‘Individual Insolvency Register’
    ##after 12 months you’re usually discharged (freed) from your bankruptcy

https://www.gov.uk/bankruptcy/overview

My father was in 70k debt, he had to sell his home, But I know of people who have gone bankrupt and managed to get another house.

Much more detail here:

http://debtadvicebureau.org.uk/bankruptcy/main_effects.html

Thank you for your post, i dont own a home i dont have any assests at all really, no car , just basic house things which ive read they have to allow you to keep in order for you to carry on with your life.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If my calculator works you've been negotiated a 46 year repayment plan. That in itself strikes me as astonishing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    If my calculator works you've been negotiated a 46 year repayment plan. That in itself strikes me as astonishing.

Exactly thats why i will probably have to go bankrupt
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check out the bankruptcy section on moneysavingexpert

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you ba
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just don't do what this guy did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiCilTzhXrA
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're repaying your debts at only £45 a month, why are you considering going bankrupt?

Is your partner going bankrupt as well, or are you going to transfer your assets into his name?

One effect of going bankrupt is that it could make it extremely difficult to get credit in the future - though you may consider that an advantage.
  • Options
    babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work as a debt advisor and give bankruptcy advice on a daily basis. If you go bankrupt, in a nutshell:

You'll be subject to bankruptcy restrictions for one year. The main restrictions are not obtaining credit of more than £500, can't run a business or work in local government.

You might have to make payments into the bankruptcy for three years (an income payment agreement)

It will cost you £700 to make yourself bankrupt

If you've no assets of note, they're unlikely to be sold. The official receiver is only interested in high value assets they can sell

The bankruptcy will be on your credit file for six years, then it drops off

Check your employment contract and tenancy agreement for any clauses about bankruptcy

Your bank account will be temporarily frozen, so you may need to make alternative banking arrangements

That's about the long and short of it.

To be honest, of you've no way of paying your debts back in a reasonable time frame, bankruptcy will give you the fresh start you need. If you've no assets, no surplus income and don't run a business, it won't make much effect on your day to day life, but do consider your future plans. Will you ever want a mortgage? Will you want to work in finance or law? Bankruptcy can affect these things long into the future.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The thing is, if you're giving debt advice to someone who owes £25k with only £45 surplus income and no assets, there's only two options - bankruptcy or a long term repayment plan. If the debtor doesn't want to go bankrupt, you can't exactly turn them away and say you won't help. Whilst a long term repayment plan is not ideal, it gets an arrangement in place with the creditors, gives the debtor some breathing space and they can consider bankruptcy in the future, as the OP is doing.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not that unusual.

I knew somebody who ran up a £27,000 debt from an initial £1,000 loan and they ended up paying it off at a measly £5 a week.

A couple of years in and she just filed for bankruptcy - I don't think they ever expect to get anything like the amount back but to the creditor £5 a week is better than zilch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Check out the bankruptcy section on moneysavingexpert

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    If you're repaying your debts at only £45 a month, why are you considering going bankrupt?

Is your partner going bankrupt as well, or are you going to transfer your assets into his name?

One effect of going bankrupt is that it could make it extremely difficult to get credit in the future - though you may consider that an advantage.

No my partner is not going bankrupt, he is fine, im considering bankrupt as I dont think you can be on a repayment plan for that long. I do want a fresh start, I am not concerned about future credit thats why i am in this mess :(

Happended when I was single and in a well paid job living beyond my means lost my well paid job and boom spiralled out of control! Totally hold my hands up my own fault.

Then met love of my life and now have a beautiful baby daughter, but have this looming over me.

The last few posts have been very helpful thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    babelogue wrote: »

Your bank account will be temporarily frozen, so you may need to make alternative banking

This concerns me were are you supposed to have your wages paid into to carry on your normal life?
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have to open another basic account, without overdraft facilities etc.
    The Co-op do one and I believe Barclays do one to.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    My ex girlfriend went bankrupt around 8 years ago after running up nearly £35k on loans and credit cards. I offered to help her pay off her debts, but when I realised the scale, she went to the Cab and suggested bankruptcy the best course of action. She had to pay £400 and provide the court with a list of debts owed and go to the court and stand before a judge. However when she got there, they were that busy they just stamped the paperwork and that was it.
    They let her keep her phone,I think they were going to take her car. But in the end it was worth less than £1000 so they let her keep it. I remember at the time she had trouble getting a bank account, and the bankruptcy stayed on record for 6 years, but she now has a mortgage with her new partner so I assume she is now able to obtain credit again.
  • Options
    hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Bankruptcy shows at the credit reference agencies for 6 years from the date of the Order. Depending on why you need the car will depend on whether you will be allowed to keep it or not. Do you work (they will look at if you need the vehicle to commute to work) along with how much the car is worth.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you

A neighbour went bankrupt a few years back and seems to be be better off now than ever. They had restrictions placed on their bank account and they could only have enough money to live on for a while and that was it.
    but 8 years on and they seem to be better off now.
  • Options
    BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,011
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    A neighbour went bankrupt a few years back and seems to be be better off now than ever. They had restrictions placed on their bank account and they could only have enough money to live on for a while and that was it.
    but 8 years on and they seem to be better off now.

This is why this country is in such a mess. People can spend tens off thousands that isn't theirs, go bankrupt and have it all wiped out, then just six years later start all over again, get a mortgage etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    This is why this country is in such a mess. People can spend tens off thousands that isn't theirs, go bankrupt and have it all wiped out, then just six years later start all over again, get a mortgage etc.

I hold my hands up it was my fault but i did lose my job too at the time, you cant just judge straight away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    My ex girlfriend went bankrupt around 8 years ago after running up nearly £35k on loans and credit cards. I offered to help her pay off her debts, but when I realised the scale, she went to the Cab and suggested bankruptcy the best course of action. She had to pay £400 and provide the court with a list of debts owed and go to the court and stand before a judge. However when she got there, they were that busy they just stamped the paperwork and that was it.
    They let her keep her phone,I think they were going to take her car. But in the end it was worth less than £1000 so they let her keep it. I remember at the time she had trouble getting a bank account, and the bankruptcy stayed on record for 6 years, but she now has a mortgage with her new partner so I assume she is now able to obtain credit again.

Are yous on good terms now for you to know all that? Dont ypu mind you two split?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This concerns me were are you supposed to have your wages paid into to carry on your normal life?

Barclays are the only bank that offer bank accounts for undischarged bankrupts now. Could you arrange for your salary to be paid into someone else's account temporarily? Partner, family member? Alternatively, could you open a bank account with a credit union? Google will tell you if there's any in your area.