Most likeable and dislikeable managers

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
Who do you think are the most likeable and dislikeable managers in english football?

For me I would say most likeable would be ian Holloway. He just seems like the bloke down the pub always on a rant. He is honest and just a good bloke.

The most dislikeable manager for me would be Brendan Rodgers.
I never liked him when he was at Swansea because he just seemed a bit arrogant, he has been pretty lucky in his career and isn't the nicest of blokes in real life.

When he was at Swansea he always thought he was too big for the club and now at Liverpool he just thinks he is the bees knees, upgrading his missus for a younger model, getting his teeth done I mean it's like he is trying to fit in with the cool guys.

I've heard a lot of people say that sir alex was ye most unlikeable men in football management and had he not been in charge of united I'd possibly have to agree.
But because he is the only man I'd share my wife with I'd say he isn't arrogant.....just better.

Comments

• Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Pearson seems pretty dislikeable to me.

I like Mourinho. I think he could get the best out of most people. He seems pretty shrewd. Not saying I agree with everything he says or does in his role but he seems a decent person to me. Or interesting and charismatic anyway.

Dyche seems a decent guy too. I just wish he'd save a bit of his voice for his post-match interviews! The guy must do some shouting on the sidelines.

Gary Monk seems like a nice guy too but I think he should choose now between his Doctor Who/Broadchurch career and the football management biz as mixing the two must be difficult.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holloway is a pillock. Allardyce is vile. I've gone off Pearson - comes across as a bully.
    Sean Dyche seems pretty decent and grounded- don't hear him complaining and slagging off refs every week.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pearson seems pretty dislikeable to me.

I like Mourinho. I think he could get the best out of most people. He seems pretty shrewd. Not saying I agree with everything he says or does in his role but he seems a decent person to me. Or interesting and charismatic anyway.

Dyche seems a decent guy too. I just wish he'd save a bit of his voice for his post-match interviews! The guy must do some shouting on the sidelines.

Gary Monk seems like a nice guy too but I think he should choose now between his Doctor Who/Broadchurch career and the football management biz as mixing the two must be difficult.

Completely agree about Pearson and Dyche.

I quite like Steve Bruce. He's not particularly good, but he just comes across as that puffy, old uncle, who'd spoil you whilst laughing his arse off at some lame, inoffensive comedy on the telly.

I quite like Wenger, too. For all of the melodramatic, physical flounces, I get the impression that he's seriously amused with himself, for earning a bloody fortune out of the game.

Rodgers is irritating due to his always looking up at the interviewer, and looking like someone has squeezed all of the meat into one end of a sausage.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Timmy Tactics.

Boy is he in love with himself!
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This might go against the grain somewhat, but I quite like Tim Shearwood, I don't rare him all that much as a manager just yet, but as a person he seems likeable, another one would be Jose, as he has been to a few wrestling events, so we could have good chats about that amongst other things.

As for someone I don't like, well that would be Mark Hughes, even though he was part of one our best teams in the 1994 double winning team, he seems like a person that is not very easy going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for someone I don't like, well that would be Mark Hughes, even though he was part of one our best teams in the 1994 double winning team, he seems like a person that is not very easy going.

And Mourinho does?!

Perhaps the Stoke manager should get himself to a few wrestling events. That's far more important than being a wonderful player for the club that you support.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Mourinho does?!

Perhaps the Stoke manager should get himself to a few wrestling events. That's far more important than being a wonderful player for the club that you support.

I thought this thread was about people's personalities, not about which person played for whom?

To me (you might think differently, which of course you are fully entitled to do), Hughes doesn't come across as the sort of person that I think that I could get along with, whereas the opposite is true for Jose away from the footballing world.

That is how I see things, but if you disagree then fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hughes comes across as bit gruff and dismissive, but if you've read his book then you'll know that he's quite a shy bloke.

I just think that he's uncomfortable with interviews, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hughes comes across as bit gruff and dismissive, but if you've read his book then you'll know that he's quite a shy bloke.

I just think that he's uncomfortable with interviews, etc.

I haven't read his book, I must add it to my Man Utd collection to read.

I can imagine a fair few people not taking a liking to all of the cameras and interviews that need to be done these days.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about dyche aka the ginger Mourinho. Never hear anyone say anything bad about him

Also Roy Hodgson and sven Goran Eriksson seem to be decent blokes and have the respect of lots of players . (Well apart from terry and ferdinand )
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Martinez seems a nice, even tempered kind of guy as well.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like; Tim Sherwood, Sean Dyche, Brendan Rodgers, Tony Pulis

Dislike; Gus Poyet, Shaun Derry
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,956
    Forum Member
    Never liked Arsene Wenger myself just something about him that rubs me up the wrong way, also annoys me how the media make out he is some sort of genius when at any other top club he would be long gone.

I agree with Big Brother 9 about Brendan Rodgers he loves himself too much, i mean who else has a portrait of themselves hanging up on there living room wall and getting his teeth done, also listening to him in his press conferences you would think he was the greatest manager that ever lived, he thinks he's it.

Agree with what others have said about Mark Hughes, comes across as a bit of a prick.

Mourinho has a screw loose but he is a great manager, would be interesting if he would manage a smaller club, see if he was still as good.

Like Ronald Koeman he seems like a fairly nice down to earth bloke, not arrogant like so many other managers, great considering what he has achieved in the game. Same with Michael Laudrup. Use to love Sir Bobby Robson just a top bloke. Loved Brian Clough in the old days, mad as a box of frogs and if he did half the things he did back then he'd probably end up in Jail i.e clouting the fans, Clough was like the pissed old Grandad at Christmas and he was a genius for what he did at Forest and Derby.

Obviously as a United fan loved Sir Alex Ferguson what he achieved at Aberdeen and Manchester United will never happen again but i bet he could be a pain in the backside and a cantankerous old git when the mood took him.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,025
    Forum Member
    Eddie Howe seems a likeable, down to earth bloke.

I agree with those that think that Brendan Rodgers comes across as arrogant and narcissistic. Some people will think similar about Mourinho, but I think quite a lot of it is tongue in cheek with him, than genuine…. he seems to enjoy playing up to his pantomime villain persona which people either seem to love or hate.
  • Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,956
    Forum Member
    Eddie Howe seems a likeable, down to earth bloke.

He does actually hope he get's Bouremouth into the Premier League would be a great achievement for him and the club.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Carlo Ancelotti seems a nice enough guy. Rafa Benitez might not be popular among fans of Liverpool's rivals but he's a good person. Still visits Liverpool sometimes. Donated £96k to the Hillsborough disaster families and has attended a Hillsborough memorial service despite not being our manager.
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Brendan Rodgers may come across as a bit of a prat but along with Martinez and Monk he really is a good guy. I have no time for Rodgers or Martinez since they left Swansea but anyone down here who's met either of them has nothing but good things to say about them.

Both did a lot of charity work during their time here and are well regarded. Most Swans fans hate Martinez for the way he left but personality wise few would have a bad word to say.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the consensus on Rodgers.

The bloke seems as arrogant as they come - but has achieved almost nothing to back that up.

(Jose is awfully arrogant too, but at least he has earned that right, as did fergie)

Rodgers just seems to have fallen head over heels in love with himself since getting the LFC job. The documentary he made was absolutely cringe-worthy!

Driving about in his lexus, the awful "three envelopes" debacle, the new image, his affair with a young woman at the club, referring to himself in the 3rd person, the list is endless.
  • Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like - Martinez, Pellegrini, Laudrup, John Gregory (when he managed Villa).

Dislike - Bruce and Allardyce, they will always say they don't like talking about the referee and then immediately rip him to pieces. Martin O'Neill - good as a pundit, but didn't like the way his teams played.

Don't dislike Jose, but he can be a tit at times.
  • Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Mourinho, Dyche and Pochettino. Wenger, Pellegrini and Monk seem alright. Rodgers' stupid beaver-chewing-a-log face gets on my nerves, and I don't like Allardyce or Pardew either.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why oh why do we have threads like this ??
    people just reveal themselves as tiny minded, bigoted, judgemental *****.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    why oh why do we have threads like this ??
    people just reveal themselves as tiny minded, bigoted, judgemental *****.

Why are you taking it so seriously? It's just a light-hearted thread, isn't it?

And who's been 'bigoted'?
  • Bingo_Bingo_ Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know he's recently been sacked but I cannot stand Ian Holloway. It was clear, to me at least, that Blackpool's season in the Premier League may have lasted longer than it did had the manager been focused more on the team than preening his soundbites for his weekly press conference to grab 5 minutes on Sky Sports News.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should hate Gordon Strachan for finally ending our glorious run of hanging on by our fingernails for 34 years, but I can't. He's like Martin O'Neill where he's engaging and doesn't seem to be one to take much guff.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,778
    Forum Member
    Mick McCarthy. Honest and gets his teams playing the right way and not cheating.