homophobic murderer marries paedophile killer in English jail

Comments

• anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know, it just makes my eyes roll when people bang on about making life as miserable for prisoners without having to think about the safety and welfare of the staff.

Prisons function in part because of the cooperation of the prisoners. They couldn't manage without it. That is why such a strong emphasis is placed on good relations between staff and prisoners. In close supervision units, staff have to be extremely tightly assessed because of the nature of the people they are responsible for. And they aren't looking for people who jump in all guns blazing. The most important skill is the ability to talk someone down.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,034
    Forum Member
    anais32 wrote: »
    I know, it just makes my eyes roll when people bang on about making life as miserable for prisoners without having to think about the safety and welfare of the staff.

Prisons function in part because of the cooperation of the prisoners. They couldn't manage without it. That is why such a strong emphasis is placed on good relations between staff and prisoners. In close supervision units, staff have to be extremely tightly assessed because of the nature of the people they are responsible for. And they aren't looking for people who jump in all guns blazing. The most important skill is the ability to talk someone down.

And its not just about staff welfare. I'm not convinced we have fair sentencing, but it is done without emotion and once a decision has been made others personal feelings should not be acted on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    And its not just about staff welfare. I'm not convinced we have fair sentencing, but it is done without emotion and once a decision has been made others personal feelings should not be acted on.

Exactly. It's risible that people would think that prison officers suffer having to deal with people who have committed awful crimes. It is their chosen profession. And they actually request to work in the higher secure prisons - with additional training and security clearance required.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    all you need is love ahaha, there is someone for everyone
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I get that the tabloid press want us to get outraged over this, but I really can't.

So two prisoners had a 15 minute marriage ceremony. So what? It's not as though it impacts their sentences.

It kind of feels like it's a backhanded slap at gay marriage in a "well, if we didn't have same sex marriage, these prisoners wouldn't have been able to do this" way.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What these prisoners did to end up in prison is awful, but the fact that they've found love, the homophobic prisoner with a man, suggests some sort of reform? Prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation right? If we are going to brand these people "vile scum" or whatever for the rest of their lives and not allow them a chance at redemption, and not allow them to have normal things that others have as a part of life, we may as well just instate the death penalty and be done with it.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AaronWx wrote: »
    What these prisoners did to end up in prison is awful, but the fact that they've found love, the homophobic prisoner with a man, suggests some sort of reform? Prison is supposed to be about rehabilitation right? If we are going to brand these people "vile scum" or whatever for the rest of their lives and not allow them a chance at redemption, and not allow them to have normal things that others have as a part of life, we may as well just instate the death penalty and be done with it.
    Since when are a homophobic killer and paedophile killer not vile scum? :confused:
    I'd be more than happy to string them both up and save on the hotel bills.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since when are a homophobic killer and paedophile killer not vile scum? :confused:

I'd have a re-examination of your preferred hotel list if I were you. Sounds like you stay in some weird hotels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    So a homophobic murderer is marrying a killer who is a paedophile? Or a person that has killed a paedophile.

If the former I take it the paedophile is straight?

EDIT: Wait no, that's wrong. They're both men.

I give up my brain is working even less well than usual today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You clearly missed the point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsands wrote: »
    So a homophobic murderer is marrying a killer who is a paedophile? Or a person that has killed a paedophile.

If the former I take it the paedophile is straight?

EDIT: Wait no, that's wrong. They're both men.

I give up my brain is working even less well than usual today.
    So a convicted child sex offender killed some guy he lured to his house after meeting him on a gay chatline has married a bloke who was convicted of killing a someone in a gay bashing in Blackpool.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gay-killers-tie-knot-behind-8939207
    I'm guessing they're both hoping there's no arguments :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You clearly missed the point.
    Would you like to expand on what your point actually was?
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    I don't think you are the voice of all prison staff in this country, maybe it would be light relief for YOU to be involved in the wedding of peados and killers, not ALL staff WOULD feel the same as you, for SOME staff it would be a terrible thing to be part of.

Do you feel that prisoners in categories that you totally dislike should get food? Or a right to wash? Or is it just a select amount of rights that you chose?

They are in prison and that is the punishment that has legally been imposed and decided as just. What you propose seems to be extra punishment just because you strongly dislike a certain crime.

So all in all it's good that we have sensible individuals running the system and not people like yourself who would carry out petty extra punishment as you saw fit.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So a convicted child sex offender killed some guy he lured to his house after meeting him on a gay chatline has married a bloke who was convicted of killing a someone in a gay bashing in Blackpool.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/gay-killers-tie-knot-behind-8939207
    I'm guessing they're both hoping there's no arguments :blush:

It's probably a genuine love match, and they will grow old together as a normal married couple. What could possibly go wrong?
    Forum Member

Yes you have every right to that view, however currently there is no death penalty and these two have been dealt with under our current laws. It has been decided that their punishment is to be sent to prison and that is their punishment and nothing else.

All this extra add-on punishment for just certain people based on opinion is neither here nor there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you like to expand on what your point actually was?

The point is pretty clear I thought? OldEndeavour expands on it quite well underneath also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you have every right to that view, however currently there is no death penalty and these two have been dealt with under our current laws. It has been decided that their punishment is to be sent to prison and that is their punishment and nothing else.

All this extra add-on punishment for just certain people based on opinion is neither here nor there.
    Yep I'm aware that there is no death penalty in the UK.
    I am however in favour of one and would definitely vote to reintroduce it if ever went to ballot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point is pretty clear I thought? OldEndeavour expands on it quite well underneath also.
    What I took from your post was that you thought they had the right to find love and not be branded as vile scum forever regardless of what they had actually done.
    I wholeheartedly disagreed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I took from your post was that you thought they had the right to find love and not be branded as vile scum forever regardless of what they had actually done.

Well that is fine. The law disagrees with you. In fact, the law is specifically designed to guard against actions that stem from your kind of thinking.
    Forum Member
    Yep I'm aware that there is no death penalty in the UK.
    I am however in favour of one and would definitely vote to reintroduce it if ever went to ballot.

For which crimes? All murder or just a select few that you decide?
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My initial thoughts were, okay they got married, I'm a little surprised they aren't allowed to share a cell but whatever.

Then I saw that the older one has a minimum sentence of 20 years and was convicted in 1997, then the cynical side of me kicked in. Is he up for a chance of parole soon?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For which crimes? All murder or just a select few that you decide?
    All murder.
    Forum Member

But they do have a right to find love or put another way love just happens without requiring any right or not.

Again their punishment is to spend X amount of time in prison, not anything else based on opinion. So they are as free to love as someone in prison for non-TV licence payment.
    Forum Member
    All murder.

So (very hypothetically) you see your daughter (a child) brutally raped and the next day you go around to the rapist's house and end their life. Do you feel that your punishment is to lose your life when the mitigating circumstances are understandable?

So you feel so strongly about these sorts of people and that they should be put to death, yet if you did that, you would also be put to death equalling you as no better than them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So (very hypothetically) you see your daughter (a child) brutally raped and the next day you go around to the rapist's house and end their life. Do you feel that your punishment is to lose your life when the mitigating circumstances are understandable?

So you feel so strongly about these sorts of people and that they should be put to death, yet if you did that, you would also be put to death equalling you as no better than them.
    In regards to where the line is drawn .. Murder someone,expect the death penalty.