Capaldi's first series similar to Tom Baker's first season as the Doctor...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
Forum Member
I am very much looking forward to Peter Capaldi taking the reigns as the now not so last of the Time Lords. But, the comparison Moffat has given Capaldi's first series as being similar to Tom Baker's first season as the Doctor, does not fill me with joy.

Mainly, because apart from 'Genesis of the Daleks' and parts of 'The Sontaran Experiment' and 'Revenge of the Cybermen', I didn't enjoy Season 12 as a whole. I found it pretty slow in pace and excluding GOTD here, no amazing storylines.

I thought the season overall was just a big pile of mess that was impossible to clean up without a full reproduction of the episodes.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I love Baker's first season - Ark In Space is still my all-time favourite Who.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure what Moffat could mean by this in plot terms, unless he means that each story will just about lead into the next, or something, so I wouldn't worry.

I imagine he's just talking more about coming from an era where there are some familiar recurring faces and a "safe" atmosphere and heading off into the unknown, darker places that the narratives can take us. An abstract kinda thing, rather than being about the specific sort of stories that will be in 8.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Gothic, horrible monsters, lots of 'base under siege' type stories and a few small story arcs too. That would be quite nice for a season shown in those darks autumn nights.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He probably means we're only having 6 stories next year with one of those reserved for christms special or possibly no Christmas special at all...
  • bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Gothic, horrible monsters, lots of 'base under siege' type stories and a few small story arcs too. That would be quite nice for a season shown in those darks autumn nights.

I'm all for fewer story arcs.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or maybe that we're all be experiencing 70s style power cuts when it's broadcast next year?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    From the interviews I've read, I think Moffat was talking more about the characterisation of the Doctor, how he will be very different to the previous Doctor and quite difficult and strange, and how the companions purpose is to reassure the audience.
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very much looking forward to Peter Capaldi taking the reigns as the now not so last of the Time Lords. But, the comparison Moffat has given Capaldi's first series as being similar to Tom Baker's first season as the Doctor, does not fill me with joy.

Mainly, because apart from 'Genesis of the Daleks' and parts of 'The Sontaran Experiment' and 'Revenge of the Cybermen', I didn't enjoy Season 12 as a whole. I found it pretty slow in pace and excluding GOTD here, no amazing storylines.

I thought the season overall was just a big pile of mess that was impossible to clean up without a full reproduction of the episodes.

What are your thoughts?

Season 12 was an experimental season. New Doctor, new producer, new script editor, all trying to find what they wanted to do.

Personally, I think Season 12 was strong when you take these factors into consideration, but probably not as good as Seasons 13 and 14 when Hinchcliffe, Holmes and the partnership of Tom Baker and Lis Sladen was fully in its stride. I certainly feel it was an improvement on Jon Pertwee's good but not great final season, when there was a palpable sense that the people making it were getting tired and wanting to move on.

In ratings terms, Season 12 was a big success, so the BBC was happy enough.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does he mean that the stories are all connected in some way? Each story ran directly into the next in Tom Baker's first season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Robot is a bit duff, main owing to the naff special effects but the run from Ark in Space right through to Terror of the Zygons (which is a season 12 story in all but name) is one of the finest runs of stories the programme has produced.

If Capaldi's first season is half as good, we're in for a treat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowls wrote: »
    Robot is a bit duff, main owing to the naff special effects but the run from Ark in Space right through to Terror of the Zygons (which is a season 12 story in all but name) is one of the finest runs of stories the programme has produced.

I kind of agree with the OP: The Sontaran Experiment isn't substantial enough to be a true classic and Revenge of the Cybermen has plenty wrong with it. As for the naff special effects that spoil Robot, are you forgetting the naff special effects that mar the otherwise superb story The Ark in Space? I'd say that's at least as troubled by bad effects as Robot.

I think you can tell with Season 12 there's quite a bit of it that was leftover from Letts and Dicks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    ^ Can't say I want to return to Sontaran Experiment too often barring 4th Doctor marathons. Revenge of the Cybermen I know by heart due to it being an early VHS release but it really could have been so much better. Even Genesis and Zygons are not the all time classics many say IMHO but still very good all the same.

Love Ark in Space though, the kind of story you would happily spend ten hours with to get every last detail out of its setting, human society and atmosphere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Well if it does go more like Tom Baker's reign I'd like to see the return of 4 or 6 part stories, a decent body count and a weekly cliffhanger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJ_K666 wrote: »
    Well if it does go more like Tom Baker's reign I'd like to see the return of 4 or 6 part stories, a decent body count and a weekly cliffhanger.

Pigs might...

The BBC won't be having any of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Tom and Sarah Jane and Harry were brilliant
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey, this sounds familiar!

Back in the day, I was a reader of 'Doctor Who Bulletin' and they had an article pre-Season 22 which was predicting the same sort of thing. (Think it was largely because they knew the Cybermen, The Daleks and The Sontarans were returning and, er, the new Doctor had curly hair?)

Wibbly-Wob... ("Oh shut up!"- Hurt's Doctor)

Like Season 12. Good crew. Tom, Elisabeth and Ian blended nicely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, this sounds familiar!

Back in the day, I was a reader of 'Doctor Who Bulletin' and they had an article pre-Season 22 which was predicting the same sort of thing. (Think it was largely because they knew the Cybermen, The Daleks and The Sontarans were returning and, er, the new Doctor had curly hair?)

Season 22 was the most violent and gory season of Doctor Who since the Hinchcliffe "golden age", so they had a point.